Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Apple triumphs over Samsung in landmark patent case

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/technology/sns-rt-us-apple-samsung-trialbre87n13v-20120824,0,3670868.story

SAN JOSE, California (Reuters) - Apple Inc scored a sweeping legal victory over Samsung on Friday as a U.S. jury found the Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.05 billion in damages.

The verdict -- which came after less than three days of jury deliberations -- could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.

Apple's victory is a big blow to Google, whose Android software powers the Samsung products that were found to infringe on Apple patents. Google and its hardware partners, including the company's own Motorola unit, could now face further legal hurdles in their effort to compete with the Apple juggernaut.

Samsung lawyers were grimfaced in the quiet but crowded San Jose courtroom as the verdict was read, and the company later put out a statement calling the outcome "a loss for the American consumer."

The jury deliberated for less than three days before delivering the verdict on seven Apple patent claims and five Samsung patent claims -- suggesting that the nine-person panel had little difficulty in concluding that Samsung had copied the iPhone and the iPad.

Because the panel found "willful" infringement, Apple could seek triple damages.

So Apple was pissed because they said Samsung phones looked like the iPhone. So does this mean car companies can sue other car companies because their car looks like their car?

Apple has run out of ways to innovate so now they will try to sue every competitor in their way. Jobs had said he wanted to wage "war" upon Google once they released Android, well he has his war.

Direct quote from Jobs: "Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

So its okay to steal others' ideas as long as they don't take yours. Got it! Go **** yourself Apple! Way to ruin competition.

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 09:04 AM ----------

Article from Gizmodo with some more information: http://gizmodo.com/5937762/samsung-vs-apple-apple-winning-big-updating

to Picasso quote

Things can be copied/ stolen and then become a more imaginative and creative idea which I think Apple was doing

Just like the first Visual Interface was developed by Xerox, Jobs visited in 1979 bought stock, became impressed and started Apple Lisa

Samsung SMH

531097_4095769507075_1158149832_n.jpg

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

By the way, I have a GS2 and I find it superior to any iphone I have ever encountered (and I have owned iphones)

Iv used GS2 which is nice as well but my opinion doesn't compete with a jailbroken iPhone 4S. Then again, I don't know what else is out there beyond just the GS2 (what can alter its limitations)

Iv used GS2 which is nice as well but my opinion doesn't compete with a jailbroken iPhone 4S. Then again, I don't know what else is out there beyond just the GS2

I have the SIII which is the best phone on the market and doubled the Iphone sales last quarter.

I really don't know why people want Iphones over a far superior Android phone. 3G network over 4g? No thanks.

Free music? Yes please.

Changeable batteries? Yup.

Upgradable memory. Absolutely.

And not locked in an 'Aol Like' environment....priceless.

I turned in my company android for a company iPhone. I echo the sentiments, the iPhone is just not as good. Screen is too small, display isn't as bright, heavier, thicker, and the software isn't as good.

Oh yah and there's the flash thing.

I bought my wife a new Samsung, it is EASILY a superior phone. Anyone who says differently is a fanboy, plain and simple

I turned in my company android for a company iPhone. I echo the sentiments, the iPhone is just not as good. Screen is too small, display isn't as bright, heavier, thicker, and the software isn't as good.

Oh yah and there's the flash thing.

I bought my wife a new Samsung, it is EASILY a superior phone. Anyone who says differently is a fanboy, plain and simple

Similar experience for me. I went from a Blackberry to an Iphone 3gs and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Then with my next company I got an Android and i would never go back. The Galaxy S III just widens the gap for me...

I have the SIII which is the best phone on the market and doubled the Iphone sales last quarter.

I really don't know why people want Iphones over a far superior Android phone. 3G network over 4g? No thanks.

Free music? Yes please.

Changeable batteries? Yup.

Upgradable memory. Absolutely.

And not locked in an 'Aol Like' environment....priceless.

Yes the one thing is 4G over 3G and upgradable memory.

Iphone, free music, free videos, etc.... is also available on iPhone, free phone and text blocking, free tethering list goes on. New iPhone will be on 4G I'm sure

you can make your iPhone into an Android interface when jailbroken

This video is waay to fast to see everything, and still doesnt show the absolute important things

LIke iFile

IBacklist

MyWi

SSH

heck you can download pandora music your listening to and skip all songs without paying for it as well

100 reason to jailbreak iPhone

Iphone, free music, free videos, etc.... is also available on iPhone, free phone and text blocking, free tethering list goes on. New iPhone will be on 4G I'm sure

Actually, I don't believe it is going to be on the 4g network, i will have to check.

Tethering and hotspot has been on Android forever. If you have hotspot, there is no need for tethering.

I'll take my 4.8" screen and amazing graphics over the clunky small Iphone anyday. 1080 P video also is very nice along with an 8MP camera.

This video is waay to fast to see everything, and still doesnt show the absolute important things

100 reason to jailbreak iPhone

As long as you understand that an Android can be Jailbroken as well....

Actually, I don't believe it is going to be on the 4g network, i will have to check.

Tethering and hotspot has been on Android forever. If you have hotspot, there is no need for tethering.

I'll take my 4.8" screen and amazing graphics over the clunky small Iphone anyday. 1080 P video also is very nice along with an 8MP camera.

And again tethering has been on Apple before the GS2 even came out

Believe it was 2008

I also don't like how big it is at all.

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 10:48 AM ----------

As long as you understand that an Android can be Jailbroken as well....

Seen those as well

And again tethering has been on Apple before the GS2 even came out

And its been on Android way before the GS2 came out as well.

Also, I did look and it does appear as if the Iphone 5 will be on the 4g network. Happy Birthday, only a couple of years behind the rest of the market...lol

Interesting the Apple, in spite of this lawsuite, will still be using Samsung to creaqte its processors. Looks like the Iphone 5 is rumoured to have their quad core....

I understand that as well, trying to look at dates hard to find

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 11:01 AM ----------

Also, I did look and it does appear as if the Iphone 5 will be on the 4g network. Happy Birthday, only a couple of years behind the rest of the market...lol

Always things Apple doesn't release ahead of time.

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 11:13 AM ----------

I found PDANET for iPhone 3G sept. 2008 before that was Netshare for tethering

Really never understood the arguing over a cell phone. I went from a Blackberry to an iphone. For my uses, the Blackberry is far superior to the iPhone or the Android. But I don't sit around watching videos on my phone or surfing the net. I still don't get that. I have a laptop almost everywhere.

But for all you iphone haters...

http://www.testfreaks.com/cellphones/

I have had a iPhone since 4 years ago, I have played with a multiple andriod phones but I hate the clunky interface. With my iPhone everything works everytime, when I have problems take it too the apple store and it's fixed free everytime even out of warrenty, only once I had too pay 130$ is when my front screen broke. All apps work on my phone I don't have too worry about dozens of different andriod phones with all different specs having app compatibility. Messed around a little with galaxy 3 and wow it's such a awesome looking phone but I hate andriod and can't get over that also its so damn big. Another thing in my house all my av compatibility everything works with my iPhone, This worries me a little about the iPhone 5 but I am sure there will be some connector that would make everything compatible.

I tried jailbreaking my phone years ago and I quickly turned back made my phone unstable and a clunky app store sucked. My brother did his 4 and he loves it he has a gameboy theme and I am thinking yeah it's nice but inam a grown ass man dog. I love the way the front screen is very simple and it works perfectly everytime.

What is up with google and them stupid ass names ice cream sandwich, gingerbread and cupcake.

only once I had too pay 130$ is when my front screen broke.

I tried jailbreaking my phone years ago and I quickly turned back made my phone unstable and a clunky app store sucked.

Ah man you can fix it yourself for about $10 or take it to a non apple store for about $60

There are several different ways to jailbreak and some get what you are talking about.

I think I remember waiting for a iOS 5 jailbreak and when it did I think 500,000 people jailbreak their iPhones that weekend crazy

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 11:26 AM ----------

Not to mention many of the reasons to jailbreak an iphone are to gain access to features that are standard on an Android device.

You mean Android like interface (so that it appears like an android, like a theme, "endless options for the user to choose"), but features had already been out before Android existed, like widgets, background video wallpaper etc.... a lot of new iOS iPhone interface and Android came from the Jailbreak community from 2007

Not till 2009 did Android have something like this, emulator

140px-Android_home.png

2008 was this :)

160px-T-Mobile_G1_launch_event_2.jpg

I remember 2007 iPhone couldn't record video or you could have folders or send pics throughout Text message. If you were jailbroken you could do all that and more! Looks like Adroid Dev wasn't till Dec. 2008, SIM unlock

Again, have your Android all you want, but Im taking the NON 4G iPhone over the Samsung any day of the week

However, it's a completely different outcome in Korea!

Samsung wins case against Apple in Seoul

When the last injunction was issued by the courts, Australians could purchase the newly illegal Samsung tablet for less than $100. They were illegal only because they were not permitted to be imported in to the country, but existing stock was allowed to be sold, but by a certain date. I think retailers were given 4 days, then all remaining stock had to be disposed of.

I have NEVER had any APPLE item, and I don't intend on ever buying anything APPLE either.

It's 60$ too replace your rear glass at the apple store or very easy too do it yourself but the front screen is way way more and much more complex it involves about 50 tiny screws an you basically have too gut the phone too do it, also you need a sodding iron no thanks. Also I would like too add I was given a new phone or refurbished one right on the spot for the 130. That was my second time breaking my screen first time they replaced it for free.

. Also I would like too add I was given a new phone or refurbished one right on the spot for the 130. That was my second time breaking my screen first time they replaced it for free.

thats Awesome!!! Iv heard alot of great stories replacing phones, ipods etc.... I know that the warranty states that if you do the damage they wont touch it, but Iv seen alot of replacements that go against those rules :)

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the out and out hatred some people have towards electronics companies? People swearing up and down they hate apple, proud to never own anything apple, never will?

Ok, so?

I've got an iPhone 4, it's pretty cool. It does what I need it to do. I'd probably be happy with a Samsung, too. I just don't understand "phone wars".

Archived