Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Apple triumphs over Samsung in landmark patent case

MattFancy

Right now Samsung is eating Apple's lunch in the smart phone market. Reading thru the OP I have to laugh at the language of a ban on the phones. It seems silly but I have to give Apple some props of being consistently ahead of the game on many fronts. The iPhone though has really fallen behind a number of other phones tho'

Eating their lunch??? :ols:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57488971-93/apple-samsung-u.s-smartphone-sales-jump-43-percent/

From a sales standpoint no from a features standpoint absolutely. There's a ton of sheep out there who follow Apple religiously...and you can't argue with a $665.15 per share price, right? Samsung right now makes a much better phone however.I don't doubt that Apple can catch and even pass them soon.

From a sales standpoint no from a features standpoint absolutely. There's a ton of sheep out there who follow Apple religiously...and you can't argue with a $665.15 per share price, right? Samsung right now makes a much better phone however.I don't doubt that Apple can catch and even pass them soon.

Features don't matter, it's about sales. Bottom line is Apple is one of the hottest companies in America. Not sure why you would want to stomp on it. Kids want Apple products. It is what it is. And if you want to talk LOGIC, Google is no better than any of the rest of them.

Features don't matter, it's about sales. Bottom line is Apple is one of the hottest companies in America. Not sure why you would want to stomp on it. Kids want Apple products. It is what it is. And if you want to talk LOGIC, Google is no better than any of the rest of them.

That's what I thought I just said with my mention on stock price. Features DO matter but the pace of technology levels the playing field quickly. Apple, from just a share price perspective, is THE most valuable company in history. It's beyond impressive. With that said, their products ARE overpriced imho. They'lll get on helluva lot of competition for the iPad and iPhone, which they should.I don't understand how this is stomping on them. They're an American brand, I'm proud of them.

That's what I thought I just said with my mention on stock price. Features DO matter but the pace of technology levels the playing field quickly. Apple, from just a share price perspective, is THE most valuable company in history. It's beyond impressive. With that said, their products ARE overpriced imho. They'lll get on helluva lot of competition for the iPad and iPhone, which they should.

Overpriced in your opinion but they are still number 1.

How Apple’s victory over Samsung will affect you: The good and the bad

Because of how obvious this copying was, Apple has won $1 billion in damages from Samsung. This victory is huge and it may have negative impacts on phones already released and those coming out in the future. Android phones, which currently comprise 60-70 percent of all smartphones sold around the world, could lose key functionality. Many of them could be taken off the market or be drastically redesigned so that they don’t remotely resemble the iPhone. Let’s examine the ways Samsung’s loss might have screwed things up for Android users.

Zooming Is Going To Get Difficult To Get, No 'Rubber Banding', No "Slide to Unlock", Multitouch Gestures of All Kinds Banned, No Universal Search or Siri Competitors, No Apps Or Icons That Can Resemble iOS or iPhone, Cheer Up. This Could Be Good

It gets better. Because manufacturers now have a billion dollar incentive to not look like the iPhone, new Android phones could really start pushing the envelope. If you’re a fan of wacky new designs — or wish phones would revert back to the “good old days” when the coolest thing about them was the crazy new way they flipped open — then this could be a good thing. At the very least, this should embolden manufacturers to try new ideas. There isn’t a good reason why all phones have to look like the iPhone. Let’s get creative, guys.

A future where no one tries to mimic Apple could be a lot better. I’d love to see innovation start where these lawsuits stop.

Read the entire article hear

http://xsellize.com/topic/196125-how-apple’s-victory-over-samsung-will-affect-you-the-good-and-the-bad/

Completely ignoring the whole debate about whether individual people hate apple or not, and looking at the little I know about the case:

My opinion? Yes, Apple did major innovation, and produced something really new with the iPhone. They literally created a market where there was none, and owned it.

That said, though, I have a problem with patents and lawsuits and things, where things hings around things like whether something looks like my gizmo. Or whether i9t includes some trivial feature like a two-finger zoom. (I understand that years ago, Microsoft patented the double click. In fact, not just the double click, but the concept of a binary control (one that's either on or off), having multiple functions based on how long or how many times the control is activated.)

I have a problem with lawsuits claiming that nobody is allowed to produce a widget that accomplishes the same task as my widget. Or that looks like my widget.

(At least in some cases. Yes, I do think that people ought to be able to somehow protect the look and feel of a video game. But "his phone is the same size as my phone"?)

In short, I think the Apple hate in the thread is misplaced. But I'm not sure that the patents they're suing over should even have been allowed to exist, either. I think we're going way overboard with our patent system.

In short, I think the Apple hate in the thread is misplaced. But I'm not sure that the patents they're suing over should even have been allowed to exist, either. I think we're going way overboard with our patent system.

The patent system needs to be fixed. All these tech companies are constantly suing each other. That money spent in legal fees could be used in R&D to come up with bigger and better things.

I do agree with your points on the iPhone. Apple changed everything with the first iPhone.

You're right though, just because my phone looks like your phone, doesn't mean I should be able to sue you for patent infringement. Like I mentioned earlier, does this mean car companies can sue each other over cars looking similar? What about computer makers?

This could be a huge break for Windows Phone 7/8 and Microsoft. Nokia's investment on the Windows platform makes alot of sense now.

Although I'd still prefer to replace my Samsung Focus with another Wp8 Samsung, not sure how the lawsuits affect the Samsung Windows phone.

T-Mobile to Start Offering 4G Micro Sim Kits for Unlocked iPhones

tmonews-sim-kit-e1346110770821.jpg

“Beginning August 29, Retail and Branded stores will display the new Monthly4G SIM kits. This new format includes a Micro SIM kit, which is compatible with the iPhone 4 and 4S, allowing customers to bring their unlocked iPhones to the T-Mobile network. Both the Monthly 4G SIM kit and the Monthly4G Micro SIM kit replace the previous version.”

http://xsellize.com/topic/196180-t-mobile-to-start-offering-4g-micro-sim-kits-for-unlocked-iphones/

---------- Post added August-27th-2012 at 10:39 PM ----------

AT&T iPhone 4S Gets the 4G Indicator With iOS 5.1 Update

Published on 03-07-2012 06:23 PM

One thing that caused a massive debate with the release of the iPhone 4S was whether or not the HSPA+ network AT&T uses to provide service to Apple’s new smartphone should be considered 4G or not. The data speeds of AT&T’s HSPA+ network are capable of doubling the speeds the iPhone 4 could get on AT&T’s 3G network. It could also double the speeds the iPhone 4S was provided with on Verizon and Sprint. The iPhone 4S was shown at the Apple event in October of 2011 to be capable of reaching the same down link speeds as similar 4G smartphones of the Android flavor.

A while after the iPhone 4S release, AT&T took advantage of this speed improvement in Apple’s new smartphone to advertise it as a 4G phone, which at the time felt like false advertising. To this day, people will still argue that LTE (Long Term Evolution) is the only true 4G network and that HSPA+ should not be considered (or even advertised for that matter) a 4G network. In reality however, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) made alterations to their network manual stating that the definition of 4G service will include WiMax, LTE and HSPA+.

In today’s release of iOS 5.1, AT&T is finally getting their way. Apple has included in the update a 4G network indicator, which will show in the status bar next to the carrier name whenever you connect to AT&T’s HSPA+ wireless network. The indicator is only for AT&T as the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S still operate on the general 3G radio type. The AT&T iPhone 4S is capable of 14.4Mb/s download speed while Sprint and Verizon will only get a maximum of 7.2Mb/s.

To clear up any confusion with the less tech-savvy people out there, the update to the status bar indicating you’re on a 4G network does not install LTE on your iPhone 4S. An LTE-compatible radio is a hardware piece and cannot be installed through a software update. We can probably expect to see LTE ship with the next generation iPhone.

http://modmyi.com/content/7118-iphone-4s-gets-4g-indicator-ios-5-1-update.html

---------- Post added August-27th-2012 at 10:50 PM ----------

Microsoft already pays license fees to Apple for several of the technologies in its smartphones, meaning the impact of the court fights is most serious for devices running Google’s rival Android operating system. Apple could charge licensing fees to companies that make Android phones and want to use the pinch feature, or it could block use altogether.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/post-pinch-apple-patent-case-win-could-point-to-new-digital-age-for-smartphones/2012/08/27/894c0e18-f07b-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_story.html?hpid=z2

From the WaPo article today, I wonder if Android companies concede it would mean that owning an Android phone would cost more?

Personally, the ruling will force Android manufacturers to innovate which I think is good for all of us.

Apple victory already seen affecting Samsung devices resale value

nextworth-samsung.jpg

“Gazelle.com reports a 50% increase in Samsung smartphones over the past three days, which has led to a 10% drop in prices for those devices. “Consumers seem to be jumping ship,” says Anthony Scarsella, chief gadget officer at Gazelle.com. “We expect this trend to continue, especially with this latest verdict.”

http://xsellize.com/topic/196248-apple-victory-already-seen-affecting-samsung-devices-resale-value/

Looks like after the verdict, more people went out and bought the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Getum!

On Friday, a California jury ruled in favor of Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) and ordered Samsung to pay just over $1 billion for infringing on the iPhone maker’s patents. Many critics have been quick to analyze the verdict, but there appears to be an interesting side effect that no one saw coming: increased sales of the Galaxy S III.
According to Trip Chowdhry, the managing director of equity research at Global Equities Research, customers “rushed” to buy Samsung’s flagship phone after the verdict was announced.

Chowdhry investigated multiple retail outlets — including Costco (NASDAQ: COST), AT&T (NYSE: T), Sprint (NYSE: S), and Verizon (NYSE: VZ) — to get an update on how the Galaxy S III performed this weekend.

Two out of three Costco stores were completely sold out of the T-Mobile and AT&T versions of the phone. The third location had the T-Mobile version in stock, but was sold out of the AT&T version.

All five of the AT&T stores that Chowdhry investigated experienced “significant sales” of the device, which has been outselling the iPhone 4S this month. The Galaxy S III has also outsold Apple’s smartphone at all five of the Sprint stores and all three of the Verizon stores that Chowdhry examined. However, only two of those Sprint locations had completely sold out of the Samsung-built device.

linky.... http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/08/28/did-apple-just-help-samsung-sell-a-ton-of-smartphones/

Right now Samsung is eating Apple's lunch in the smart phone market. Reading thru the OP I have to laugh at the language of a ban on the phones. It seems silly but I have to give Apple some props of being consistently ahead of the game on many fronts. The iPhone though has really fallen behind a number of other phones tho'

Bwahahahahahaha.... Oh you were serious?

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-29/tech/31253171_1_iphone-android-3gs

And watch what happens when the iPhone 5 comes out. A lot of people, myself included, skipped the last version to wait for 5. Which is one of the reasons Apple is now the most valuable company in history...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/08/21/apple-now-most-valuable-company-in-history/

Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) became the most valuable company in history on Monday in terms of market capitalization. Heading into the final hour of trade, the stock had risen better than 2 percent, to give the company a market-cap of over $620 billion with shares trading over $662.00 apiece. The reason for the rise in the stock on Monday appears to be rumors surrounding the iPhone 5.

And speaking os Samsung...

Does The Billionaire Chairman Of Samsung Own A Stolen $15 Million Ferrari?

http://jalopnik.com/5938587/does-the-billionaire-ceo-of-samsung-own-a-stolen-15-million-ferrari

In 1963, Ferrari built four 330 LMBs, a GT race car meant to hit the track at Le Mans. All four still exist and are each worth nearly $15 million.

One of the cars, chassis number 4619, is owned by the Korean Chairman of Samsung Electronics, Kun Hee Lee.

But there's just one problem: Some records show the car was stolen in 1977 and there's a court order in the U.S. demanding that the car be returned.

It's still crazy to me that everyone is walking around with phones in their pockets that have faster processors than my laptop had in college.

You had a laptop in college? ;)

Hell we got excited when we got Ethernet in our dorm rooms

Archived