Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Apple triumphs over Samsung in landmark patent case

MattFancy

^ Sure the iPhone 5 will sell like hot cakes but it will still lack features that Android already has had for a while. I like to think the iPhone is for simpletons :evilg:

Agreed. I always say the iPhone is for people that don't like customization. Look at any 2 people's iPhones and tell me what's different. Maybe the apps they have on the homescreen. That's about it.

Now go look at any 2 people's Android phones. Completely different looking. Why? Because I can change all kinds of things on it to make it look and work how I want it to.

There is nothing the iPhone 5 will do that my SIII can't do; I'm pretty certain of that.

Siri? My phone has S-Voice

4G? My last phone I bought in 2010 had 4G.

Voice Navigation? Android has had that for a very long time

NFC? Androids have had that for awhile now too

So what big feature could the iPhone 5 possibly have that current Android phones don't already have?

Agreed. I always say the iPhone is for people that don't like customization. Look at any 2 people's iPhones and tell me what's different. Maybe the apps they have on the homescreen. That's about it.

Now go look at any 2 people's Android phones. Completely different looking. Why? Because I can change all kinds of things on it to make it look and work how I want it to.

There is nothing the iPhone 5 will do that my SIII can't do; I'm pretty certain of that.

Siri? My phone has S-Voice

4G? My last phone I bought in 2010 had 4G.

Voice Navigation? Android has had that for a very long time

NFC? Androids have had that for awhile now too

So what big feature could the iPhone 5 possibly have that current Android phones don't already have?

No one knows for sure but some are still not sure if the iPhone 5 will have 4g or even NFC. I think those are almost a must nowadays. I still can't believe that they have not had a native turn by turn navigation up until the iPhone 5. I really don't understand the appeal of the iPhone besides that it supposed to be easier to use. I had an iPhone 3G because I bought into the hype when it came out but quickly found out that it was restricted even when jailbroken.

^ Sure the iPhone 5 will sell like hot cakes but it will still lack features that Android already has had for a while. I like to think the iPhone is for simpletons :evilg:

Because it's a bad thing to make our devices easy to use.... Oh wait.

Look dude. If you like android, good for you. Use it in good health. I don't need to stoop to childish hate and attack anyone who uses a phone or OS that is different from mine. I can recognize that no one product is right for everyone. Maybe when you grow up you will feel the same. :evilg:

Look dude. If you like android, good for you. Use it in good health. I don't need to stoop to childish hate and attack anyone who uses a phone or OS that is different from mine. I can recognize that no one product is right for everyone. Maybe when you grow up you will feel the same. :evilg:

Church.

Like I give a **** if someone else's iPhone resembles mine.

I guess what I should've said was this:

iPhones are for people who just like things to work. Not that there's a problem with this.

Androids are for people who like to tinker with things and customize what they have. Not that there is anything wrong with this.

What annoys me are the people who think just because it's an iPhone, it's the best thing in the world. Yes the first iPhone was awesome and changed the game, but the last few iPhones really done anything that other phones didn't already do.

It's still crazy to me that people had laptops in college.

It's still crazy to me that kids today have built in lights on their Gameboys and rechargable batteries. And have more than 8 colors, or color at all. :evilg:

Of course, I'm sure you played the Magnavox Odyssey old timer.

What annoys me are the people who think just because it's an iPhone, it's the best thing in the world.

You should find bigger things to be annoyed about. :)

My company is full of highly technical geeks. Some have iPhones, some have Android devices. The only time the phone ever comes up in conversation is when someone asks for opinion 'cause they have to buy a new one.

You should find bigger things to be annoyed about. :)

My company is full of highly technical geeks. Some have iPhones, some have Android devices. The only time the phone ever comes up in conversation is when someone asks for opinion 'cause they have to buy a new one.

Now I'm annoyed with you for telling me not to be annoyed ;)

It's still crazy to me that kids today have built in lights on their Gameboys and rechargable batteries. And have more than 8 colors, or color at all. :evilg:

The peak of video gaming ...

118124215260.png

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 10:12 AM ----------

Of course, I'm sure you played the Magnavox Odyssey old timer.

I'd actually never heard of it. But I did write a space-themed text-based adventure game using Apple Integer Basic for the Apple II when I was in high school.

I was a master of Space Invaders in the arcade and could complete it.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124215260.png

I'd actually never heard of it. But I did write a text-based adventure game using Apple Integer Basic for the Apple II when I was in high school.

I was a master of Space Invaders and could complete it.

Pong is so addicting. That and Snake.

We are getting a Super Nintendo for our apartment this year. Some good ol' nostalgia.

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124215260.png

I'd actually never heard of it. But I did write a space-themed text-based adventure game using Apple Integer Basic for the Apple II when I was in high school.

I was a master of Space Invaders in the arcade and could complete it.

It's the first home video game console ever. 1974 I think? Oh, 1972.

Pong is so addicting.

It is interesting seeing video games which are successful and those which are not. Angry Birds is a simple game very well executed. When my son first got into console gaming I was a big fan of Counterstrik, the Ghost Recon series, Americas Army and similar types. Many hours spent alone and with friends online playing. I never even picked up the latest Ghost Recon - too much complexity and bull****.

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 10:26 AM ----------

It's the first home video game console ever. 1974 I think? Oh, 1972.

We had a pong console, and a Vic 20 which had games on cartridges (much like the Nintendo 64 still did). The Vic 20 had 5k of RAM of a whole 3583 bytes were available to the programmer. Programs were loaded from and saved to audio cassette tape.

Who am I attacking? Sorry you take offense to it. Maybe when you mature a bit you'll understand it wasn't an attack at you :evilg:

I could care less if you like the iPhone and the person next to you has an Android. I was just stating my opinion

5 years ago in this very forum I predicted then that Apple would turn into a giant of the industry and subsequently be hated by a vast majority of Americans. I was told then that I was a fool. Every apple thread at the time had all our resident hipsters in it telling everyone how great a company they were. I'm sure they all drove volkswagen beetles with white apple stickers on the back.

Guess what. **** you. I'm right douchebags :)

If there's one thing we hate more than anything in this country, its wild amounts of success. Unless its a foreign company. For some reason we like it when foreign industry comes over to this country and takes all our money.

I'm really not sure what most of the controversy about in this thread.

As I've said before, Samsung had internal documents that came right out said to copy certain things from Apple's design and to basically make a phone just like the iPhone.

Some of the patents that have been granted are silly - but so is the "OMG Apple is so evil" outrage.

5 years ago in this very forum I predicted then that Apple would turn into a giant of the industry and subsequently be hated by a vast majority of Americans. I was told then that I was a fool. Every apple thread at the time had all our resident hipsters in it telling everyone how great a company they were. I'm sure they all drove volkswagen beetles with white apple stickers on the back.

If there's one thing we hate more than anything in this country, its wild amounts of success. Unless its a foreign company. For some reason we like it when foreign industry comes over to this country and takes all our money.

This is true. Same with Microsoft in the late 90s.

I've got you beat.

Back in 97-98 when Jobs first came back to Apple, our local newspaper's tech writer wrote an article predicting Apple's collapse and warning people not to buy Apple products. As is my nature I wrote him and ripped him for his story. We had several exchanges on the subject with me taking the position that with it's loyal customer base and new product direction, Apple was making all the right moves to recover. Long story short, a few years later after Apple had turned the corner and was just starting to really roll, I wrote him again and he was forced to admit I was right. Shortly after the newspaper let him go. Too bad, I really wanted to write him one last time to see what he thought of Apple becoming the most valuable company ever. :evilg:

But I really don't think it's Apple's success that gets most people worked up. Something about technology standards makes people turn the issue into a religious war. Apple vs MS vs Open source is a battle of ideologies where peoples vested opinions become "who they are" rather than just "what they believe". When that happens, rational discourse is the first victim to fall.

And dammit. I wasn't one of those hipsters. I drove a *Camaro* with an apple sticker in the rear window. :ols:

Oh, and I-bleed... Sorry you got your panties in a bunch over my reply, I'm not out to start a war with you. But on what planet is "I like to think the iPhone is for simpletons." not an insult to iPhone fans?

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 05:34 PM ----------

This is true. Same with Microsoft in the late 90s.

Meh. As someone who's first computer was a 7mhz dos machine and the author of breakupmicrosoft.org I have to disagree.

Microsoft used illegal business practices from the very beginning to drive out competition. Because they had the dominant version of dos they were able to write a licensing structure that forced computer manufacturers to pay for MSDOS for every machine they built, regardless of what OS was actually installed and sold. This forced manufacturers to stop buying other versions of DOS because it meant they had to buy two different OSs even though they were only selling one. Later they made deals with other companies on the condition that those companies would not support competing products. another no-no under interstate commerce law. Their success wasn't what bothered me. It's HOW they achieved it and how they used it once they had it.

Still, I never hated MS. Hell, I never even really cared what the court decided to do with them. All I really cared about is that MS stopped killing off rival technologies with illegal back door deals.

The case against Microsoft

Sherman Anti Trust Law

Sec. 14. Sale, etc., on agreement not to use goods of competitor

It shall be unlawful for any person engaged in commerce, in the course of such commerce, to lease or make a sale or contract for sale of goods, wares, merchandise, machinery, supplies, or other commodities, whether patented or unpatented, for use, consumption, or resale within the United States or any Territory thereof or the District of Columbia or any insular possession or other place under the jurisdiction of the United States, or fix a price charged therefor, or discount from, or rebate upon, such price, on the condition, agreement, or understanding that the lessee or purchaser thereof shall not use or deal in the goods, wares, merchandise, machinery, supplies, or other commodities of a competitor or competitors of the lessor or seller, where the effect of such lease, sale, or contract for sale or such condition, agreement, or understanding may be to substantially lessen competition or tend to create a monopoly in any line of commerce.

Exerpts from Bill Gates video deposition

Q.Did you have discusions with Apple in which you were trying to get Apple to agree to help you undermine Sun?

A. There was some discussion about what runtime APIs Apple would support, whether they would support some of ours or some of Sun's. I don't think I was involved in any discussions myself with Apple about that.

Q. Well, let me show you a document and try to probe what you mean by being involved. Let me give you a copy of a document that has been previously marked as Government Exhibit 265.

A portion of this document is an e-mail message from you to Paul Maritz and others and the portion I'm particularly interested in, and you can read as much of the three-line e-mail as you wish, is the last sentence, which reads, "Do we have a clear plan on what we want Apple to do to undermine Sun?"

Did you send this e-mail, Mr. Gates, on or about Aug. 8, 1997?

A. I don't remember sending it.

Q. Do you have any doubt that you sent it?

A. No. It appears to be an e-mail I sent.

Q. Well, let me show you a document that has been previously marked as Government Exhibit 268. This is a document bearing Microsoft document production stamps M598 0110952 through 53.

Q.The first part of this purports to be a copy of an e-mail from Don Bradford to Ben Waldman with a copy to you, Mr. Maritz and others on the subject of "Java on Macintosh/IE Control."

12 Did you receive a copy of this e-mail or about February 13, 1998?

A. I don't know.

Q. Do you have any reason to doubt that you received a copy of this e-mail?

A. No.

Q. The first paragraph reads, "Apple wants to keep both Netscape and Microsoft developing browsers for Mac -- believing if one drops out, the other will lose interest (and also not really wanting to pick up the development burden.) Getting Apple to do anything that significantly/materially disadvantages Netscape will be tough. Do agree that Apple should be meeting the spirit of our cross license agreement and that MacOffice is the perfect club to use on them."

Do you have an understanding of what Mr. Bradford means when he refers to MacOffice as the "perfect club to use on Apple"?

A. No.

Oh, and I-bleed... Sorry you got your panties in a bunch over my reply, I'm not out to start a war with you. But on what planet is "I like to think the iPhone is for simpletons." not an insult to iPhone fans?

You must of missed the evil grin :evilg:. It was more tongue and cheek. Like I said before, I've owned an iPhone but it wasn't for me. People should buy whatever they like. I have no problem with that. What pisses me off are those people who think their **** don't stink because they own a particular brand be in Apple, Google, or whatever. From my experience it typically comes from Apple customers who own an ipod, ipad, macbook, etc... I've owned apple products (iPod, iPhone and mabook pro) and they are pretty nice but the iPhone wasn't for me. I like to have free reign on my phone to customize it to the way I want. They've also been behind on some features that should be on a phone by now.

With that being said, if an iPhone, Samsung S3 or an Blackberry make you happy good for you and you should buy what makes most the most sense to you and what makes you happy, not everyone else.

Archived