Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: ‘Skins, Griffin still haggling over offset language

Sorry, but I am one to think for any rookie, it is important not to miss any time at all. I dont care if its just 1 week of no pads contact. Any time for a rookie is valuable time.

This extra week of work is an extra week most rookies aren't getting. We need to use it to our advantage. Now if he misses, that doesnt mean he will suck this year. All I am saying is all it can do is help. I want as much help for him as he can get.

Which is understandable. My only point is that an extra week may not positively or negatively, especially in light of all the extra work he's put in. An extra week certainly wouldn't hurt...but it not make a monumental amount of difference either.

Which is understandable. My only point is that an extra week may not positively or negatively, especially in light of all the extra work he's put in. An extra week certainly wouldn't hurt...but it not make a monumental amount of difference either.

Actually, I think a week would be detrimental to his development. IT's a very concentrated week of information and practice. Lots of soreness and conditioning and brain fatigue... it's crucial for him to be there.

Actually, I think a week would be detrimental to his development. IT's a very concentrated week of information and practice. Lots of soreness and conditioning and brain fatigue... it's crucial for him to be there.

But how would that be different than if showed up a week late?

Don't get me wrong; I don't want him to show up a week late. I'd like nothing more than for him to sign tomorrow and show up Tuesday ready to go. But it's not like they're going full contact, full speed in a rookie pre-training camp. Like I said; more than likely it's just a little refresher course. And while it would be nice if RG3 were there, considering he'd frequently get into the building at 5 and then leave at 5 (if not stay longer) during the rookie minicamp, minicamp and OTAs, plus he was there for all the team workouts, I'm not sure that it'd be so detrimental to his development.

Certainly it won't hurt guys like Garçon and Morgan to show up at training camp after rookie camp, and they're learning totally different offenses. This will be Morgan 4th new offense since he got in the league, and Garcon's coming from a totally different offense in Indy. And I know they've experienced the grind of training camp, but honestly, I always thought the whole "destroy you physically and mentally to build you back up again" aspect of camp was sort of dumb and overstated. A healthier RG3 is a better RG3, right?

But how would that be different than if showed up a week late?

Don't get me wrong; I don't want him to show up a week late. I'd like nothing more than for him to sign tomorrow and show up Tuesday ready to go. But it's not like they're going full contact, full speed in a rookie pre-training camp. Like I said; more than likely it's just a little refresher course. And while it would be nice if RG3 were there, considering he'd frequently get into the building at 5 and then leave at 5 (if not stay longer) during the rookie minicamp, minicamp and OTAs, plus he was there for all the team workouts, I'm not sure that it'd be so detrimental to his development.

Certainly it won't hurt guys like Garçon and Morgan to show up at training camp after rookie camp, and they're learning totally different offenses. This will be Morgan 4th new offense since he got in the league, and Garcon's coming from a totally different offense in Indy. And I know they've experienced the grind of training camp, but honestly, I always thought the whole "destroy you physically and mentally to build you back up again" aspect of camp was sort of dumb and overstated. A healthier RG3 is a better RG3, right?

Do you not know the difference between OTAs and Training Camp? How's that any different if he misses a week? Ask anyone. We've been through this countless times. Missing a week would be very bad for him. He's got a learning curve and a week of Training camp running reps with the offense and getting his timing, steps, and reads down is priceless. These weeks are so concentrated more so than OTAs or mini-camp. This is when real football begins... It's a lot more than a "refresher course". I'm not sure where you heard that.

RG3 is the QB, it's important for him to learn an NFL offense.

Do you not know the difference between OTAs and Training Camp? How's that any different if he misses a week? Ask anyone. We've been through this countless times. Missing a week would be very bad for him. He's got a learning curve and a week of Training camp running reps with the offense and getting his timing, steps, and reads down is priceless. These weeks are so concentrated more so than OTAs or mini-camp. This is when real football begins... It's a lot more than a "refresher course". I'm not sure where you heard that.

The full on training camp (when the vets come in) is a lot more than a "refresher course", but that isn't what we're talking about. What we're talking about is the new rookie portion of that as designated by the new CBA. It isn't in pads and there is no contact. They do film work and position drills and some 7 on 7 sort of stuff, exactly like they do in minicamp and OTAs. It isn't like regular training camp. If he missed the rookie portion it wouldn't be a good thing but it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal as missing part of the full training camp. From what I've read the whole thing does sound a lot more like a refresher course than it does the actual training camp with pads and full action.

This first week won't be actual training camp practices. Rookies report first to get back into the area. They will have walk-through style practices to get acclimated with the playbook again. The first official training camp practice is July 26. Plenty of time to get him signed. Although I agree with the sentiment that it's best for him to be taking every rep possible.

The full on training camp (when the vets come in) is a lot more than a "refresher course", but that isn't what we're talking about. What we're talking about is the new rookie portion of that as designated by the new CBA. It isn't in pads and there is no contact. They do film work and position drills and some 7 on 7 sort of stuff, exactly like they do in minicamp and OTAs. It isn't like regular training camp. If he missed the rookie portion it wouldn't be a good thing but it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal as missing part of the full training camp. From what I've read the whole thing does sound a lot more like a refresher course than it does the actual training camp with pads and full action.

Exactly.

I think people are confused. "Training camp" doesn't really open tomorrow. It really is sort of a minicamp/OTA with the rookies to get them in, gauge where they are shape wise, then go through meetings and film study getting them caught up. Maybe they have some loose walkthroughs of what the practice schedule for the actual training camp will be, but it's not an actual camp.

You can't have an actual camp with just the rookies. Would you want to run full-contract, 11-on-11 work with just the rookies?

Normally i would agree it is not the biggest deal. I do think it is a bigger deal knowing RG3 is the starting QB. If it was pretty much any other position on the field It would not bother me at all, but man the starting QB needs all the time he can get. Mental reps, going over film with the OC ect. The loss of 40-60 hours is important imo right before vets arrive.

Regardless he's likely to miss something, and when you give up as much as we did for a player he needs to be getting all the time with the team that he can. People are trying to justify him not being signing yet by trying to write off the significance of this rookie camp.

Dude put in twelve hour days with the coaches and staff, stayed late to throw with his wide receiver, invited guys down to throw at Waco. It's not like he's Luck and missed a lot of time. He's spent a lot of time at the park.

It's not that being in camp on time isn't important, and of course more time is better. But I think people who are talking about a potential missed week (really, it's more likely it comes on Monday or Tuesday with a week being the latest, and he could potentially by on the field by the afternoon if that happens) are overstating things just a touch.

And the significance of the rookie camp...we don't really know. It's the first time we're doing one. But I don't think we're trying to write off the significance of it as much as try to ease fears that missing this particularly week will have some long term effect on his development. The kid has put in work ever since he got drafted. A missed week, while unfortunate, probably won't effect him in the long run.

A missed deadline is a missed deadline - once you miss one it is that much easier to miss the next one . ...(in the imortal words of Robin Williams "you cross this line you die, you cross this line you die , you cross this line you die... okay you knock on my door i am not answering...")

I also wanted to ask what is the situation with Josh - he still remains unsigned and i have heard nothing about him - given he has issues with his weight - then has anyone heard from him or is he here and locked in negociations ?

Not sure of the value of having a rookie camp where your two top selections are not even on the team - other teams got this done months ago (Giants and Eagles) ... so what is the hold up ...

This week may be less significant than training camp, but, RG3's holding out for offset language simply doesn't harmonize with all of his rhetoric, or the redskin's rhetoric up until this point. It's the jarring difference between the two that is bugging me. That and that this rookie week will be important not simply due to the activities that are planned but since it is a time for the newest players to connect and get to know each other. This is a larger part of a winning team than most seem to realize. It's not just the stardom and beastly talent, it's the esprit of the players as a group. That esprit is built slowly over time and it's times like this rookie camp that can foster that sort of connection. For the annointed new leader of this team to be a no show is not a good sign. He needs to be there. If he were holding out for more money I would have an easier time understanding but holding out for offset language? That's just too dissonent with all that has come before.

A missed deadline is a missed deadline - once you miss one it is that much easier to miss the next one . ...(in the imortal words of Robin Williams "you cross this line you die, you cross this line you die , you cross this line you die... okay you knock on my door i am not answering...")

You're right. My guess is RG3 misses the deadline and realizes it is awesome to miss deadlines. He then gets lazy, fat and stupid and spends most of his time after that in strip clubs. He will begin avoiding the playbook like the plague and start getting in fights in the lockers room. Once he misses this deadline we are screwed.

I also wanted to ask what is the situation with Josh - he still remains unsigned and i have heard nothing about him - given he has issues with his weight - then has anyone heard from him or is he here and locked in negociations ?

He was last spotted at a Burger King yelling "**** tha police!" while downing 8 burgers and mooning people. He is apparently up to 418 lbs.

Not sure of the value of having a rookie camp where your two top selections are not even on the team - other teams got this done months ago (Giants and Eagles) ... so what is the hold up ...

Neither of those teams had a top 5 pick. Top picks always take extra time, no matter what. None of the top 8 picks from this draft have signed yet; it isn't just RG3. Actually I would guess that many of them are in fact waiting on him. The Redskins have their rookie camp earlier than almost every other team (I think there is one team that started earlier...can't remember who though) so the players can wait and see if RG3 signs soon and then base a lot of their contract negotiations on what he is able to get. If he gets a deal without the offset language they will turn around and demand the same.

:rotflmao: Clean up aisle 7. Sarcasm spill on the floor. :silly:

With the amount of time the young man has already spent getting ready,I'd say it's okay for him to miss one or two days this week. Couple of weeks,that might be a little problem,but not right now. I really don't think that a couple of days missed this week is going to set his development back at all. Especially when one considers the long term. :yawnee:

This week may be less significant than training camp, but, RG3's holding out for offset language simply doesn't harmonize with all of his rhetoric, or the redskin's rhetoric up until this point. It's the jarring difference between the two that is bugging me. That and that this rookie week will be important not simply due to the activities that are planned but since it is a time for the newest players to connect and get to know each other. This is a larger part of a winning team than most seem to realize. It's not just the stardom and beastly talent, it's the esprit of the players as a group. That esprit is built slowly over time and it's times like this rookie camp that can foster that sort of connection. For the annointed new leader of this team to be a no show is not a good sign. He needs to be there. If he were holding out for more money I would have an easier time understanding but holding out for offset language? That's just too dissonent with all that has come before.

Good post. I am also bothered by the "notion" of this more than the actual missing time. Speaking of not just RG3's rhetoric and positive statements of being a leader...but how about the Redskins part in all this. They have traded away three number 1 picks in exchange for the guy who is suppose to be their franchise QB and leader(savior) for the next 15 years, and to allow ANYTHING to put a damper on that or slow down his progress, well, to allow this to go on is, as I have said, REDICULOUS. What you said. It doesn't HARMONIZE.

---------- Post added July-16th-2012 at 07:27 AM ----------

(Josh LeRiBeus) He was last spotted at a Burger King yelling "**** tha police!" while downing 8 burgers and mooning people. He is apparently up to 418 lbs.

Tim...What's NOT funny about that is that is sounds like it could actually happen. lol

:rotflmao: Clean up aisle 7. Sarcasm spill on the floor. :silly:

With the amount of time the young man has already spent getting ready,I'd say it's okay for him to miss one or two days this week. Couple of weeks,that might be a little problem,but not right now. I really don't think that a couple of days missed this week is going to set his development back at all. Especially when one considers the long term. :yawnee:

Completely agree. With all we've heard about him getting prepared and working with WRs this offseason, a couple of days isn't going to mean much. Now if we're into the 2nd week of camp and nothing has happened, then it may be time to start worrying.

If he has a career ending injury and we can't afford to sign his replacement, that sucks.

If he is the greatest thing ever after three years, I don't want to hear **** about his contract in year 4.

His replacement is signed, I guess that's where Cousins comes in.

Archived