Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: ‘Skins, Griffin still haggling over offset language

I wonder what to make of this tweet by pulled from RG3's twitter feed.

http://twitter.com/cbaker92redskin/status/224946891278917632

Great workout today with @RGIII ‪#HTTR‬ we getting ready

Reply Retweet Favorite

12:21 PM - 16 Jul 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Embed this Tweet

Robert Griffin III ‏@RGIII @cbaker92redskin Always getting it in

Details Reply Retweet Favorite

You can workout in the gym with whoever you want. Doesn't say it was at Skins park. Although some people said this morning that Griffin was in fact around Redskins park.

I wonder what to make of this tweet by pulled from RG3's twitter feed.

http://twitter.com/cbaker92redskin/status/224946891278917632

Great workout today with @RGIII ‪#HTTR‬ we getting ready

Reply Retweet Favorite

12:21 PM - 16 Jul 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Embed this Tweet

Robert Griffin III ‏@RGIII @cbaker92redskin Always getting it in

Details Reply Retweet Favorite

Hope he's "working out" wit Moss, Morgan, and the French dude... Is it Garcon?

You can workout in the gym with whoever you want. Doesn't say it was at Skins park. Although some people said this morning that Griffin was in fact around Redskins park.

They were working out in Ashburn at LA Fitness Club. I have a friend that works there and they have pictures of them working out.

Here is a quote from Redskins.com about today's opening of rookie camp:

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III worked specifically with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who rans drills that emphasized mobility and throwing fundamentals. He was joined on the field by first year quarterback Jonathan Crompton and fellow rookie Kirk Cousins.

here's a link: http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Notes-Day-1-Rookie-Mini-Camp/aa96786e-2492-47b3-8481-febe2c303250

It looks like RG3 was there and his lack of a contract didn't keep him from showing up. Excellent. Must be that he can't show up for training camp without a signed contract and they likely have all week to do that.

Much ado about nuttin.

Here is a quote from Redskins.com about today's opening of rookie camp:

here's a link: http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Notes-Day-1-Rookie-Mini-Camp/aa96786e-2492-47b3-8481-febe2c303250

It looks like RG3 was there and his lack of a contract didn't keep him from showing up. Excellent. Must be that he can't show up for training camp without a signed contract and they likely have all week to do that.

Much ado about nuttin.

That link is from May 4th, the opening day of rookie mini-camp.

That link is from May 4th, the opening day of rookie mini-camp.

Checking the date is always helpful. Plus, if RG3 did show up, don't you think we'd have known about it? There are like 70,000 members on this board, and the mods have media credentials at Redskins Park. If Griffin was at camp today, we'd have known - probably before anyone else.

Interesting blurb from Pro Football Weekly:

Late-reporting RG3 not huge worry yet

In shorter form: The teams want the language in the contracts; the players don’t want to give the teams any easier ways to opt out of their contracts.

This is the stall with Griffin and agent Ben Dogra with the Redskins. It’s expected to be cleared up soon, as sources say they don’t anticipate a long holdout. Griffin said last week he was OK with a contract that included offset language.

Well if he is ok with offset language then I really don't see what the holdup is. I suspect his agent is not quite as ok with it? :)

Also, this kind of confirms what I've been thinking, and someone else may have pointed out in this thread, but these agents are in uncharted waters. Griffin will probably be the first top draft pick signed under the new CBA -- certainly the first high QB pick -- and it will set the precedent for all the other contracts to follow.

So I'm sure everyone wants to get every little thing right, because this contract is going to be put under a microscope by every other agent and team out there. This is a pivotal moment in Dogra's career and he HAS to make sure he gets this right.

Sucks that our guy is caught up in this, but it should happen soon enough.

Also, this kind of confirms what I've been thinking, and someone else may have pointed out in this thread, but these agents are in uncharted waters. Griffin will probably be the first top draft pick signed under the new CBA -- certainly the first high QB pick -- and it will set the precedent for all the other contracts to follow.

I believe the precedent was set last year under this CBA...with almost all of those 1st rounders guaranteeing the contracts. This year the teams don't want to do that. I'm not sure what gave them a reason to believe not guaranteeing them their money...just two years removed from these players demanding triple what they get paid now....

If this turns into anything that makes a difference with RG-3 being ready for the season I swear to God I am putting all the other teams names into a hat (minus Dallas, Giants, and Eagles), and picking one - this will be the death of me as a Skins fan................I have put up with a hell of alot over the last 20 years but this will be the straw that breaks this camels back. that being said I expect him to be signed by weeks end.

If this turns into anything that makes a difference with RG-3 being ready for the season I swear to God I am putting all the other teams names into a hat (minus Dallas, Giants, and Eagles), and picking one - this will be the death of me as a Skins fan................I have put up with a hell of alot over the last 20 years but this will be the straw that breaks this camels back. that being said I expect him to be signed by weeks end.

Seriously? We have a guy who is potentially our franchise QB for the next decade, and you'll miss out on all of that just because he misses some training camp? :rolleyes:

Well if he is ok with offset language then I really don't see what the holdup is. I suspect his agent is not quite as ok with it? :)

I think there is a lot to that. If one player signs a deal with the offset language in the top 5 it sets a precedent for all the other players. Agents represent multiple players, will have to deal with this all again next year and also want to recruit new players to the stable. Being the guy who blinks first likely does not sit well with the agents for multiple reasons however relaxed their clients(s) may be about it right now.

I do think we all need to calm down about this - while it would clearly be better if RGIII was under contract and at the rookie camp I will only start to get worried if the hold up means he is not available when the veterans report.

Overreact much? :ols:

Relax everyone.

RG3 will be signed soon.

Trust me..I'm a nervous Nelly as well, to finally have it confirmed that we have Superman locked up & loaded here.

But there are just "I's" to be dotted & "T's" to be crossed. We'll be fine.

It could be worse...

RG3 could be in Miami right now, running the town.

He'll be throwing hang glider TD's to L. Hankerson in practice, before the Month is over.

I'm shocked with how much this place is freaking out. By all accounts, RG3 is a good kid and will sign sooner than later. This is something that generally comes with high draft picks. I could maybe see reason for concern if the Colts had already signed Luck and Griffin was holding out, but it's pretty standard for draftees to wait for the other dominoes to fall before signing on the dotted line. He (and his agent) are only looking out for his best interests while our front office is simply trying to protect itself.

And, in what I believe is the worst-case scenario...he misses a couple weeks of practice and starts off slowly this year....you're still hopefully talking about one season out of 10+ as our franchise QB being impacted. We have to get out of the "sprint" mindset as a fan base. With this draft pick, we have opened a long-term window that requires long-term thinking. No longer are we hoping to happen upon the perfect win-now formula.

Breathe. I'm thrilled we have Griffin in the fold so that each and every year we can come into the fall expecting some good things to happen and believing we have a chance.

I'm shocked with how much this place is freaking out. By all accounts, RG3 is a good kid and will sign sooner than later. This is something that generally comes with high draft picks. I could maybe see reason for concern if the Colts had already signed Luck and Griffin was holding out, but it's pretty standard for draftees to wait for the other dominoes to fall before signing on the dotted line. He (and his agent) are only looking out for his best interests while our front office is simply trying to protect itself.

Folks are losing sight of the fact that TC is still a little more than a week away.. I don't understand what the big deal is. This is actually a non issue at this point. I think there's like a 1% chance that he's late to camp.

Archived