Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: ‘Skins, Griffin still haggling over offset language

makes me scratch my head ...

If RGIII does not work out for Bruce and Coach, THEY ARE GONE.

They have gambled everything on him, why the hold up? There is no doubt, barring an injury, in their minds, based off the price they paid to get him, that he is a can't miss. So why would you not pay him that way, or fashion the language in the contract that way.

Too simplistic of a view ... ?

The new CBA is just in its second year and it is all about setting precedents concerning offset pay. The owners are fairly united in saying that they will not allow the players to double dip. The player's agents are working to allow their players to get 2 paydays if the original team chooses to cut the player before their contract is up rather than letting team "A" off the hook for whatever team "B" will pay. Unlike Capgate, the front office is trying to stay in line with the united front with the rest of the owners. "Just paying RGIII" will affect the compensation for the first handfull of draftees for years to come, not just RGIII, not just this year.

What bothers me most is that the Colts should be setting the standard with Luck, not the Skins with RG3. What will happen now is the RG3 deal will be the standard. The Colts had the first pick and that responsibility should have be theirs. The Skins have had enough issues this year with the NFL and the other teams, I hate that this is also on their plate.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

What bothers me most is that the Colts should be setting the standard with Luck, not the Skins with RG3. What will happen now is the RG3 deal will be the standard. The Colts had the first pick and that responsibility should have be theirs. The Skins have had enough issues this year with the NFL and the other teams, I hate that this is also on their plate.

Great point. Like us, the Colts held a rookie minicamp in May (which Luck attended). But unlike us, they're not holding a second rookie camp in July. Maybe because they kicked so many vets off the roster that training camp will effectively be a rookie camp.

Snark aside, it seems like the front office should have seen the precedent-setting problem coming. That is, they must have realized that Luck probably won't have signed before the start of the Redskins' rookie camp. So the situation ain't great, but it can't have been unexpected.

False. Isn't done yet.

Return to your pitchforks. :ols:

When you start out with "according to twitter", you are already set up for failure......because it will show up there for a day or so before the Skins announce thier press conference. Right.......

When you start out with "according to twitter", you are already set up for failure......because it will show up there for a day or so before the Skins announce thier press conference. Right.......

Actually, a lot does break on twitter. Adam K. broke his own re-signing deal on twitter. Skins didn't even put out a press release on it until days later.

And like I said on there earlier this morning, with RG3 being on twitter, I expect him to break it there, which is why I'm not spending any real time working on constantly checking to see if it is done.

Actually, a lot does break on twitter. Adam K. broke his own re-signing deal on twitter. Skins didn't even put out a press release on it until days later.

And like I said on there earlier this morning, with RG3 being on twitter, I expect him to break it there, which is why I'm not spending any real time working on constantly checking to see if it is done.

I guess that's what I meant....it will make itself plainely obvious when it happens.

The Colts, in my opinion, are only responsible to get a deal that works for them and for Luck. It's not on them to worry about the rest of the league or the domino effect. I certainly wouldn't want my organization worrying about such external factors if they had picked first.

The new CBA is just in its second year and it is all about setting precedents concerning offset pay. The owners are fairly united in saying that they will not allow the players to double dip. The player's agents are working to allow their players to get 2 paydays if the original team chooses to cut the player before their contract is up rather than letting team "A" off the hook for whatever team "B" will pay. Unlike Capgate, the front office is trying to stay in line with the united front with the rest of the owners. "Just paying RGIII" will affect the compensation for the first handfull of draftees for years to come, not just RGIII, not just this year.

Not to mention - if you allow the first 7 or 8 picks to take the language out this year - what happens next year? The entire first round may be pushing to take the language out of their contracts. I don't know which side will cave first but if only a few players are getting slightly better contracts with the offset language taken out (I think it was mentioned that Cam Newton and someone else did last year and that the number 8 pick has gotten the language removed this year) I can certainly understand RGIII feeling like he deserves to be one of those players and trying to hold the line for a while to get it. At the same time, the owners need to make it clear that this is the exception and not the rule (if the language is given to anyone at all). If the Skins just roll over for RGIII then you can bet that when we do start drafting first rounders again (a few years from now) they're going to expect similar concessions with respect to offset language, and while I think it is a non-issue for RGIII I think the inclusion or exclusion of that language will be a bigger issue once we're drafting in the 30s in a few years. ;)

OK, let me get my shield up before I type this;

ok, I'm ready.

IMO, Bruce is looking out for the Redskins organization, and I don't blame him one bit. Campbell was a miserable flop, Shuler, don't get me started, Haynesworth, HAHAHA, and the list goes on.

For ONCE in my life, I would absolutely love to see some kid who was drafted tell the organization 'hey, let's get a fair deal, nothing big, nothing small, and have the option for me to prove on the field what I can do. If I end up being a bust and not cut out for it, then I can be cut; if I end up playing well enough within the first few years of my contract, THEN we can sit down and negotiate something.'

Everybody wants to get paid, especially for services they haven't even proven they have yet; I like the kid, and I think he will be a great player, but I also had high hopes for JC when he first got here, and we all know the rest of that story.

So, RGIII, you seem to be a guy with class, simplify your contract some; tell your crooked arse agent to draw up a fair and simple deal, WITH the option to renegotiate after 2 years. If you can't prove yourself in 2 years here, believe me, the headhunters will be out in full force...

sic

Didn't Pierre Garcon tell us he signed with the Redskins on twitter?

The difference for me is that is is OK if a guy announces it on his own account or on his own Facebook page. Seeing it from someone who you don't know and have no idea who they are equals take it with a grain of salt for me. But I'm old, so that might have something to do with it. :)

The difference for me is that is is OK if a guy announces it on his own account or on his own Facebook page. Seeing it from someone who you don't know and have no idea who they are equals take it with a grain of salt for me. But I'm old, so that might have something to do with it. :)

I was just following up with what TK said when he said that Adam Carriker announced that he had re-signed. But I do agree with you that I'd want either the player or a good credible source to announce it.

JUST SIGN HIM BRUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCEEE.

You gave up the franchise to draft him. Offset language the two first rounders or shut up and sign.

Exactly! You traded away your left nut and now you want to negotiate? Just shut up, pay up, and hope to God this kid can play at least half as good as we're all hoping he can in this league, this sure isn't college anymore.

Archived