Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buccaners101.com-Source: Washington Redskins are Interested in Tampa Bay Buccaneers CB Aqib Talib

authentic

I know I kind of glossed over it with just saying "I know Samuel is older." I'm aware of all the poor comparison stuff between the two, I compared them basically to say that one has been highly productive and shown he still is very recently as in last season. He's had no off the field trouble so while I get that Talib is younger and all that you mentioned, I'm simply saying for all the positives Talib has, his negatives destroy his value and to me, at least, cancel all the extra value he SHOULD have over a guy like Samuel. And again, this is my opinion of what I would give up for him, and I don't think I would make the deal regardless but again, it's just my opinion not what the team will necessarily do.

Obviously you can make all kinds of conditions on what picks you give up, to me, none of it is worth the attitude he may bring in the weight room, the practice field, the locker room, etc. The guy can ball, no one will debate that. But I don't think Talib has ANY value around the league due to his issues and all the suspensions and fines Goodell has been handing out. Tampa Bay would obviously LOVE to be "fairly" compensated but they also apparently don't plan to re-sign him so they don't have a ton of leverage.

With as young as our team is, I just don't like the idea of bringing in a veteran guy with his attitude and problems to influence them. It goes against everything Shanahan has done in terms of players brought in. I guess he has also signed Meriweather, and I wasn't really a fan of that move either. We need talent in the secondary, but at what cost?

I know this is kind of ironic gien the rookie symposium thing, but I believe Barber said Talib is a good teammate and good lockerroom guy. Of course Morris would know, I'll trust him to be honest with Coach about that. He still has a ton of baggage though, so you'd have to try to minimize the off-the-field risk with conditions. If they think he's worth it, I'd be thrilled with the prospect of a much improved secondary (our biggest weakness as everyone agrees).

---------- Post added June-2nd-2012 at 02:15 PM ----------

I hope Ced plays safety instead.

I'm fine either way, but I think he's a much better corner than some people give him credit for.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8296c419/article/detroit-lions-troubled-2011-draft-class-raises-larger-questions

Honestly, it's a really long article but the whole thing is worth reading about how everyone on the outside felt like Detroit's draft class was unreal but all the NFL execs were pretty stunned that Detroit took three straight guys with character issues at the top of their draft and it came back to haunt them because their locker room was not ready to handle it - too young and not enough big name respectable vets that have the ability to reign them in when they get there.

It's a difficult debate, I'm kind of on the fence and see the point of view that it's worth the risk. It sounds like our FO is already planning to make the move. I just think they need to be extra careful in bringing a guy like this in. I think they've built an extremely high character team with only a few of what this article calls "exceptions." I think you could make the argument that DHall fits the mold, he's pretty temperamental but he's always kind of been the only one and seems to fit in with the team (see the point about only having a very small minority of exceptions). Tanard Jackson, I think, is a second guy that has talent but has been a little troubled. All of a sudden if you bring in Talib you've got three guys in the same secondary, including two young guys that come from a team that is basically saying we've had enough and now you're the team enabling them by saying it's ok, we still want you. That is what concerns me the most.

DeAngelo Hall might be a talker, but man, as far as I know he's never been arrested. Are we going back to his Atlanta days? Because living in Falcons territory I can say that he flapped his gums about the same stuff all the fans were saying. And then are we talking about the Raiders? Raiders are a mess.

I just don't know why this guy gets this kind of flack. We're comparing a guy with no arrests to a guy like Talib with 3 (maybe more) arrests? Come on.

The thing people have to realize is that, as much as Mike loves good, high character guys on his team...he likes playmakers more. You draft guys like Kerrigan and resign guys like London Fletcher so that when you DO bring in guys like Meriweather or Tanard Jackson or Aqib Talib, they have a solid background.

Mike drafted Maurice Clarett and traded for Javon Walker and then drafted Brandon Marshall and traded for McNabb and tried his damndest to make the Haynesworth thing work, he dealt with Bill Romanowski. Bill Belichick dealt with Corey Dillion and Randy Moss and took on Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth.

Not everyone is going to be a ball of happy sunshine fun, not every guy is going to be a boy scout. How many teams around the league have NO guys that haven't gotten in trouble at some point? The key to making sure those problem children don't become bigger problems is to have a stable, calm lockerroom environment.

If you want a reason why the Lions 2011 draft class is losing it's collective mind, 1.) they have no lockerroom leadership, really (I mean, you've got guys like Calvin Johnson, but they don't have a guy like London Fletcher or even Santana Moss or EVEN DeAngelo Hall on their team), and 2.) their head coach is a hot head and ill-equipped to deal with problem children, being prone to throw those guys under the bus and absolve himself of responsibility.

Just think about Jimmy Smith from last year. He was supposed to be a monumental head case and trouble maker. Drop him in a lockerroom with Ed Reed and Ray Lewis and he hasn't gotten in any trouble. Granted, it's early, but still.

So yeah, high character guys are awesome, it'd be great if everyone worked like London, but sometimes you have to take the talent level of a guy into account.

DeAngelo Hall might be a talker, but man, as far as I know he's never been arrested. Are we going back to his Atlanta days? Because living in Falcons territory I can say that he flapped his gums about the same stuff all the fans were saying. And then are we talking about the Raiders? Raiders are a mess.

I just don't know why this guy gets this kind of flack. We're comparing a guy with no arrests to a guy like Talib with 3 (maybe more) arrests? Come on.

I agree. DeAngelo certainly isn't perfect, but the guy has shown playmaker abilities, even in the short time since he's been with the 'skins.

If he talks a little, big deal...at least it shows he's alive.

To my knowledge, he hasn't been arrested and he never failed a drug test, unlike some others on the team.

Hail!

Mike drafted Maurice Clarett and traded for Javon Walker and then drafted Brandon Marshall and traded for McNabb and tried his damndest to make the Haynesworth thing work, he dealt with Bill Romanowski. Bill Belichick dealt with Corey Dillion and Randy Moss and took on Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth.

I would rather we not trade for Talib. He's good but has ALOT of issues. Patriot Bill has/had a winning team and does a better job at keeping his problem children under wraps then Shanahan does. The only reason he MIGHT trade for Talib is because of Morris wanting him. Whatever happens with this possible trade happens. :rolleyes

I would rather we not trade for Talib. He's good but has ALOT of issues. Patriot Bill has/had a winning team and does a better job at keeping his problem children under wraps then Shanahan does. The only reason he MIGHT trade for Talib is because of Morris wanting him. Whatever happens with this possible trade happens. :rolleyes

I don't get what having a "winning team" has to do with anything. Winning doesn't certainly turn bad guys into good guys (see: the Lions), and having a ton of high character guys doesn't equate to winning.

And we should know by now that Mike isn't going to trade or sign or draft anyone he doesn't want. If we trade for him, it's because Mike wants him here.

With as young as our team is, I just don't like the idea of bringing in a veteran guy with his attitude and problems to influence them. It goes against everything Shanahan has done in terms of players brought in. I guess he has also signed Meriweather, and I wasn't really a fan of that move either. We need talent in the secondary, but at what cost?

I've been going mainly on the assumption that IF Shanahan, Allen, and Morris are actually making a play for him, then they have enough faith that he won't corrupt the locker room, and won't get in a ton of trouble here. If he doesn't end up here, then either Tampa was asking too much or our FO doesn't think he's worth it. We'll have to see how it plays out in court first though before our FO gets a crack at it.

We have more than enough high character guys to keep our young'n's on the straight and narrow than we do bad character guys to divert them.

I'm normally not in favor of bringing in guys with documented off-field issues, but every once in a while, the situation is right. I think this is one of those situations, provided of course that his case has a favorable outcome. My reasons are:

• He would completely solidify the defensive backfield, allowing Hall to play the slot where his tight cover skills would be enhanced and his propensity for biting on double moves would not come in to play nearly as often. Lack of top-tier talent at the safety position quickly becomes less of a problem.
  • I don't know if he truly can be the best CB in the game - that would mean he would be better than Revis, and he isn't - but he is in the top ten CBs in the entire league. Guys of that caliber rarely are available, and it would be foolish not to grab him if it's possible.
  • The price, assuming it really will be a mid-to-late round drat pick, is a total steal.
  • His current case doesn't bother me a huge amount from a character standpoint. It's not like he raped somebody or got involved with the drug trade. He was defending a family member, albeit in an idiotic way, but I can respect the protective instincts.
  • He's reuniting with his former coach, which is probably the best situation for him. If anyone can get Talib focused on football, it's Morris. No guarantees of course, but this gives him his best chance.
  • All of his off-field issues have been violence-related, and if Morris can help Talib channel that violence to strictly on the field, the sky's the limit.
  • I don't think he'll be a "locker room" problem. All the reports I've read say he's a hard working, coach-able player.

Yes, he's a hothead. He's gotten into verbal altercations with officials, he got into a fight with a teammate, and there was a battery charge with a taxi cab driver (and who hasn't wanted to throttle a cab driver! :ols:) So he's no choir boy, and he has a history of violence. I think it's worth the risk to get a top ten, maybe even a top five talent at a position that is becoming more crucial in the NFL as the years go by.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but one of the best things about this is that it indicates to me that Raheem plans to be here a while. If Morris was only looking to be a one and done (to get a DC job, not HC), then he might be more inclined to let the Talib situation play out in Tampa and grab him later. Making a push for his new employer to trade for the guy tells me that he vouches for him and will work with him. Maybe I'm reaching, but it just feels like you don't make this type of request if you don't have a long term commitment to the organization.

I honestly think Shanny coming to DC was about furthering his legacy and coaching tree. I think that's probably been his pitch to guys like Haz and Raheem. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haz get our D to elite this season and then get a HC offer in 2014. Then Raheem move up to our DC then when Shanny retires to the FO, Kyle takes over and Raheem runs his D. Then after a few seasons, Raheem re-emerges as a hot HC candidate.

But back on topic, get Talib. Our secondary might just be nasty this season.

I don't think our locker room would tolerate any off the wall behavior from anybody. Our team has a good amount of people who "get it."

I would love to see Talib on our side, I think he would be a great addition. There are enough positive influences around to put him in check.

When do we find out if he will have any jail time? I'm assuming no trade would happen until after that point.

Court date is June 25. Unless there's some extra delay, it should be then.

A Goodell suspension, if one was going to happen, would likely come down shortly thereafter.

The good news is that he's been at all the Bucs practices so far, so he's in shape should he get off.

Court date is June 25. Unless there's some extra delay, it should be then.

A Goodell suspension, if one was going to happen, would likely come down shortly thereafter.

The good news is that he's been at all the Bucs practices so far, so he's in shape should he get off.

Yet another date of anticipation Skins fans will be looking out for. This is turning out to be one of the more active offseasons..to this magmitude..in a along time.

If Talib works out, the NFCE secondaries are getting ridiculous. Hell, the NFCE TEAMS are getting ridiculous. Last year comments were made that we were no longer the toughest division (and last year was definitely an off year). I hate giving the other teams credit, but I do like having the rep of being the baddest ass division around. Now we all 4 have arguably franchise QB's. If we get Talib, we all have top CB's. Besides Dallas, all our HC's have seen SBs, 2 have multiple wins. Defenses are all pretty good. What other divisions have this kind of talent?

i read up on the situation... car accident light one and then gets out and says ill pop a cap " ", then another situation with girlfriends boy friend involved a gun too..

but back to the 1st situation. the car accident victim doesnt go all out court untill she realizes who he is $$$$...

still i dont see tampa getting rid of him and just riding it out and then taking their chances next year... but for a 5th rounder im game..

The guy's a disaster. Not worth it

Obvious 1st round talent is not worth a 5th round pick?

Best case scenario - He sures up our secondary for years

Worst case scenario - He gets in trouble, we cut our losses, losing only a 5th round pick

He has the man who drafted him, and the coach who coached him here. Never got in trouble until those guys left. I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Best case scenario - He sures up our secondary for years

Worst case scenario - He gets in trouble, we cut our losses, losing only a 5th round pick

He has the man who drafted him, and the coach who coached him here. Never got in trouble until those guys left. I'd say it's definitely worth it.

It's not just the pick though, it's the contract and cap space. He may keep his nose clean in the last year of his contract to get his nect big pay day - but then what? I would be wary of paying him top 5 CB type money which is what he probably wants - we saw that movie with Haynesworth.

Its the kind of gamble which could pay of big and if Morris thinks he is worth the headache he know better than us but it's a risk and one that could give us a distraction and cap problem we don't need in a couple of years. He strikes me as the kind of character who will always find himself in and around trouble and that will bite us at some point.

It's not just the pick though, it's the contract and cap space. He may keep his nose clean in the last year of his contract to get his nect big pay day - but then what? I would be wary of paying him top 5 CB type money which is what he probably wants - we saw that movie with Haynesworth.

Its the kind of gamble which could pay of big and if Morris thinks he is worth the headache he know better than us but it's a risk and one that could give us a distraction and cap problem we don't need in a couple of years. He strikes me as the kind of character who will always find himself in and around trouble and that will bite us at some point.

Why would he receive any kind of big pay day if he's in and out of jail every year. He has zero basis for wanting a huge contract. If he stays clean and performs very well, I could see him making a case for himself a few years down the line. But certainly not in the near future.

What would you have to give up to get him? Remember that the 'Skins don't have a #1 in the next 2 drafts. That means parting with a 2,3 or 4 even more expensive. Personally, I'd have no problem with a 5 or lower. I mean, those guys don't generally contribute anyway.

Also, with the cap penalty, how can we afford him?

I like the idea, but on the flip side, trading a pick for a red-flag guy with a potentially high cap number... I dunno.

Tampa drafted the guy. After weighing his known abilities vs his liabilities, they're shopping him for a mid-low round pick. Sometimes if a deal seems to good to be true...

Hypothetically V_o_R, let's say this came to fruition for a higher pick than a 5th rounder.

If he was to settle down and keep his nose clean, we'd of gotten a 26 year old, 4 year first round vet. with a skill set comparable to the very best playing the position today.

Wouldn't it cost us a higher pick regardless to add that caliber of player to our ranks in future drafts?

Hail.

Archived