Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buccaners101.com-Source: Washington Redskins are Interested in Tampa Bay Buccaneers CB Aqib Talib

authentic

Worth a shot if he can keep it together. Not worth it though if he's a bad character guy that can poison the locker room.

See Haynesworth, Albert.

The two main differences being that we wouldn't sign Talib to a $100M contract and we have people who know how to deal with him in both the locker room and FO.

The two main differences being that we wouldn't sign Talib to a $100M contract and we have people who know how to deal with him in both the locker room and FO.

Namely Raheem seems to know how to get the best out of him, and we've got guys like London and LoAx and Cofield who can hopefully help him out. Seems like a good guy that gets himself caught up in bad situations, rather than just an ******* who is looking for trouble.

I'd be cool with that. He's still on his rookie deal and dirt cheap, so if he turns out to be a problem child, we wouldn't be sinking a ton of money into him, and it shouldn't cost us too high a draft pick, and Mike seemed to indicate we'd be looking at corner in next year's draft anyway (something about the draft being very deep at corner next year when someone asked about the secondary), so...yeah. If we can get him for cheap draft pick wise, it would at least temporarily get people to quit ****ing about what a question mark the secondary is going to be, and I'm all for that.

I'm all in on Talib and i think an added benefit to this will be Barnes moving to safety, his more natural position IMO. My concern has been the D and I think if we add Talib we could jump all the way to a top 3 type of defense. With a D like that, there's less pressure on RG3 and a playoff run is more possible.

I hope we can trade for him! Barnes and Jackson/Williams at safety and Hall in the slot. Josh wilson as 3rd and a hungry Minnifield. This D might become top 5!. If we do trade for him and he does pull it together, this completes an already brilliant off season.

I would love to snag Talib on the cheap. The guy could probably be a #1 CB and bump DHall to #2 where he can roam a bit more and be a ball hawk. Definitely worth pursuing.

Of course, he needs to not be going to jail first, and then we'd better wait for Goodell to absolve him before taking him, because Goodell (with a little imp named Mara whispering in his ear) might suspend him the moment we traded for him.

And finally I'd prefer we not throw too much at the Bucs for him. A 4th is fair assuming he doesn't do jailtime.

Edit: So, just wondering, if we pulled this off, where are we getting the money for this? I thought we were pretty snug up against the cap by now.

These are the types of free agent signings/trades that tend to work out - when we have inside knowledge about a player from a former coach. If Morris thinks he's good, then I think this will be a good move supposing the numbers are right.

But Morris is our DB coach. :shhh:

I don't get it. I think most everyone on the board knows that Morris is our DB coach, but do you think that's a negative? All I was saying that he played well under Morris but had discipline issues. Those issues would fall under Shanahan, who, but all accounts, runs a tighter ship than in Tampa where Raheem was cited going out to the bars with his players.

Is Pacman still available as well?? This team is finally turning around, drafting leaders and high character guys. One bad apple might not spoil the whole bunch, but I'm not willing to throw away the progress just yet. Below is from Wiki.

Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[9] On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[10] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[11] In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[12] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[13]

Talib would answer a big question mark in the secondary. If he liked it here we could wind up with a great longterm answer at corner. Assuming he liked it here and the salary cap wasn't an issue (again, longterm). The baggage scares me, but a conditional pick(s) and a behavior clause would solve much of that... assuming all parties are willing. Boils down to jail/suspension, though suspension may just lower his trade value. Overall, I can see the team pushing hard for him... hope it works out.

Is it possible that we write contracts with REALLY low first year hits and the real salary kicks in once we get the cap space back?

I dunno, isn't that something a player typically won't want to do? Besides, let's not get cute, who knows what the current 'spirit cap rules' are anyway lol

The problem is the baggage he brings. It would be one thing if we had a few years of winning and the right attitude under our belt. I believe we have a strong lockerroom, but I'm not sure it's strong enough or has enough trust built up due to previous success to be able to turn a guy around like, say, the Ravens would.
If there's one phrase/sentence that I have repeated over and over again here over the years it's this, "we are simply not good enough to be this picky".:ols:

I agree moondog, there is obvious baggage that comes with this young man. But, Talib would be making a fresh start on a new team, with a head coach that doesn't put up with any **** and a positions coach who he has been coached by before.

IMO there's more to gain than lose in this particular situation.

Talib seems better suited for either the bengals or the raiders based on what i have read thusfar. And, this is not an isolated incident.....seems like his way to settle disagreements is by throwing down. So, even if he is found innocent of current problems and Goodell does nothing.......that doesnt prevent future meltdowns and bad judgement calls......and suspensions. I dont expect a team of choirboys, but we dont need thugs either...there is a big difference to me between smoking some weed and taking a few shots at a person.

Most here seem to think he is a very good cb.....maybe one who could be great. I would be in favor of this if the price was right for us, and we could drop him like a bad habit if he gets into trouble again.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Report-Dallas-Native-Aqib-Talib-a-Person-of-Interest-in-Garland-Police-Investigation-118786619.html

Talib seems better suited for either the bengals or the raiders based on what i have read thusfar. And, this is not an isolated incident.....seems like his way to settle disagreements is by throwing down. So, even if he is found innocent of current problems and Goodell does nothing.......that doesnt prevent future meltdowns and bad judgement calls......and suspensions. I dont expect a team of choirboys, but we dont need thugs either...there is a big difference to me between smoking some weed and taking a few shots at a person.

Most here seem to think he is a very good cb.....maybe one who could be great. I would be in favor of this if the price was right for us, and we could drop him like a bad habit if he gets into trouble again.

I feel what you are saying rskin. It almost seems like what Talib needs is a good ol fashion ass whippin to 1: show him that he can't beat the world and 2: help him to develop another way of settling a disagreement.

Damn, where's Michael Westbrooks when we really need him?:)

Is Pacman still available as well?? This team is finally turning around, drafting leaders and high character guys. One bad apple might not spoil the whole bunch, but I'm not willing to throw away the progress just yet. Below is from Wiki.

Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[9] On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[10] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[11] In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[12] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[13]

1. He fight cause he not like what other man say

2. Taxie driver rude, very rude, no manners. He not like jail, very dirty

3. He protect sister, no bad thing, he protect family

Assuming we get him, we'll be tight up against the cap, so I have a salary-related question:

Is it possible that we write contracts with REALLY low first year hits and the real salary kicks in once we get the cap space back?

our top 53 players all keep us under the cap, including draft picks, so if we cut one or two veterans we have plenty of room to give him a mid level, incentive laden contract.

i don't think he would expect more and raheem certainly is a good bargaining chip. i doubt there's a lot of guys around the NFL who are rooting for him.

Archived