Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Belmont Stakes Thread: "I'll Have Another" goes for the Triple Crown (June 9th)

d0ublestr0ker0ll

I'll Have Another won the Preakness yesterday, capturing the second leg of the coveted Triple Crown, which hasn't been won in 34 years. It was one of the most dramatic finishes in horse racing history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-vQvzEbDlk&feature=related

Bodemeister has been I'll Have Another's rival in both the Preakness and Kentucky Derby. The similarities between the two finishes are pretty dang close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMITxsLWp0

The last horse to win the Triple Crown was Affirmed (1978). This rivalry between I'll Have Another and Bodemeister might remind some of that rivalry from '78, when Alydar gave Affirmed as much as he could possibly handle.

The stage is set. June 9th, Belmont Park's gigantic 1 1/2 mile track.

Heard this morning that Bodemeister won't be running in the Bellmont. I hope that "I'll Have Another" takes the mile and a half for the crown!!

---------- Post added May-20th-2012 at 05:47 PM ----------

I don't know much about horse racing, but that seems like an impressive thing to me to come back from 4th and have to run down the 1st place horse on the outside in two straight big races.

That's the strategy for the race, both times Bodemeister and I'll Have Another worked the same strategy. Bodemeister is a runner and wants to set the pace and did in both, he got some separation in both races around the back straight and then looked to pull away down the front stretch, but in both I'll Have Another lit up in turn 4 and caught him, the Preakness was closer than the Derby though.

It won't happen...he doesn't have the name for it. Seattle Slew...War Admiral...Secretariat....Affirmed, those sound like great horse names. I'll have Another does not, someone will beat him in the Belmont. The fact that Bodemeister isn't running the Belmont doesn't really matter, speed horse front running types always seem to fade in the stretch there. I don't think he was much of a threat. Someone like Creative Cause will take him down.

• 3 weeks later...

I have very bad news. It was reported on the Dan Patrick show that I'll Have Another will not be racing tomorrow, per his trainer Doug O'Neill.

http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT/statuses/211117069649973248

O'Neill said the horse had a "little problem with his left front leg." There's the "start of some tendinitis." Doesn't want to take a chance

There will be no history tomorrow. No Triple Crown. Very sad.

Talk is already raging that this was about more than health. I'll Have Another's trainer, Doug O'Neill, has previously been disciplined for doping horses. This wasn't an isolated incident. He's been called on the carpet for 25 such offenses since 2005 and those are only the times O'Neill was caught. The California Horse Racing Board gave him a 45 day suspension and $10,000 fine just a week or so ago for a doping incident at, I believe, Santa Anita.

The New York Racing Association ordered all Belmont Stakes entrants be kept together in a secure stable instead of spread out amongst different stables on the racetrack grounds. The reason for that was pretty obvious. The NYRA wanted to make doping a horse as difficult as possible. Given I'll Have Another's scratch from the Belmont Stakes at this late date, charges, true or not, will fly that O'Neill's inability to dope the horse and secure a victory led to its withdrawal.

quite frankly, the use of animals for entertainment of man should be outlawed. I'm not an animal person but it's time to end all racing of animals and even circuses. Hell, maybe even zoos.

I can dig the animal rights stuff in most cases. But man, horses LOVE to race. I mean they're made for it. The injuries are really very sad, and I hate seeing animals have their lives cut short because of a racing injury, but that's the nature of the beast.

quite frankly, the use of animals for entertainment of man should be outlawed. I'm not an animal person but it's time to end all racing of animals and even circuses. Hell, maybe even zoos.

Following that line, pets and Animal Planet would be outlawed too (no more shark week).

Horses run. That's what they do. It's not like we're making them do something they don't already naturally do.

I can dig the animal rights stuff in most cases. But man, horses LOVE to race. I mean they're made for it. The injuries are really very sad, and I hate seeing animals have their lives cut short because of a racing injury, but that's the nature of the beast.

So except for the injuries and their lives getting cut short, horses love to be raced.

So except for the injuries and their lives getting cut short, horses love to be raced.

That's what I said, isn't it? Horses LIKE to race. They enjoy it. I agree the injuries are unfortunate. But injuries happen to horses off the track too (and I know not in the numbers they do on the track).

Archived