Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Belmont Stakes Thread: "I'll Have Another" goes for the Triple Crown (June 9th)

d0ublestr0ker0ll

That's what I said, isn't it? Horses LIKE to race. They enjoy it. I agree the injuries are unfortunate. But injuries happen to horses off the track too (and I know not in the numbers they do on the track).

The horses should be allowed to run free on the open plains....oh wait they'd get broken legs there too....rats.

The horses should be allowed to run free on the open plains....oh wait they'd get broken legs there too....rats.

Exactly. And if a horse breaks a leg in the wild, it can't walk and dies a slow, unpleasant death.

Talk is already raging that this was about more than health. I'll Have Another's trainer, Doug O'Neill, has previously been disciplined for doping horses. This wasn't an isolated incident. He's been called on the carpet for 25 such offenses since 2005 and those are only the times O'Neill was caught. The California Horse Racing Board gave him a 45 day suspension and $10,000 fine just a week or so ago for a doping incident at, I believe, Santa Anita.

The New York Racing Association ordered all Belmont Stakes entrants be kept together in a secure stable instead of spread out amongst different stables on the racetrack grounds. The reason for that was pretty obvious. The NYRA wanted to make doping a horse as difficult as possible. Given I'll Have Another's scratch from the Belmont Stakes at this late date, charges, true or not, will fly that O'Neill's inability to dope the horse and secure a victory led to its withdrawal.

Thank you Leesburg. This is the thing that NO ONE is talking about. The trainer is a known milkshaker and like you said was suspended in California right after the Preakness. Dude is a known cheater but everyone is like Woo Hoo Triple Crown!!!!

Exactly. And if a horse breaks a leg in the wild, it can't walk and dies a slow, unpleasant death.

I think it is amazing that so many people have created this illusion that animals are so much better off in the wild where disease, predation, accidents, starvation, and extinction are all very real threats. Heck, by the argument levied earlier I should set my black lab free! Utopia doesn't exist but that doesn't stop some folks.

I think it is amazing that so many people have created this illusion that animals are so much better off in the wild where disease, predation, accidents, starvation, and extinction are all very real threats. Heck, by the argument levied earlier I should set my black lab free! Utopia doesn't exist but that doesn't stop some folks.

You monster! You keep your dog inside? How barbaric!

Following that line, pets and Animal Planet would be outlawed too (no more shark week).

Horses run. That's what they do. It's not like we're making them do something they don't already naturally do.

1 - Horses don't breed themselves specifically to race. They don't dope themselves because massive amounts of money is on the line. They don't kill themselves upon injuring themselves as a result because vet care isn't worth paying if the horse hasn't won any races. They also don't sell themselves to slaughter houses when they get old. They don't naturally sit in trailers their entire lives moving from race to race either. There is very little a race horse does that resembles anything a horse would naturally do.

2 - Why would filming sharks in the wild be stopped? I'm not following your logic here.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 04:28 PM ----------

They rarely find themselves doped and pushed well beyond the speed they'd run by choice. I think they'd prefer that slow unpleasant death to the slaughter house trip as well.

Horse racing has a ton of problems right now. The main thing being ****ty trainers that pump the horses full of drugs and race them with injuries/too much so that they break down.

However, obviously not the case here and I have no issues with horse racing for the (seemingly) minority that do it the right way.

You plan on forcing that black lab to run faster than it should? Do you drug him so that he can run even faster? Does he spend his entire life in transit? Are you going to kill him if he gets injured (specifically from doing what you are forcing him to do)? If he does manage to survive into old age will he be sent to a slaughterhouse?

Let's not compare the life of an animal people actually CARE about to one that is a commodity.

You plan on forcing that black lab to run faster than it should? Do you drug him so that he can run even faster? Does he spend his entire life in transit? Are you going to kill him if he gets injured (specifically from doing what you are forcing him to do)? If he does manage to survive into old age will he be sent to a slaughterhouse?

Let's not compare the life of an animal people actually CARE about to one that is a commodity.

We were responding to the naive notion that all animals that animals cannot serve as sources of entertainment. Are there things I do not like about horse racing? You bet, but to say that we should close zoos because horse racing can be bad...well that's a logical faceplant.

I can dig the animal rights stuff in most cases. But man, horses LOVE to race. I mean they're made for it. The injuries are really very sad, and I hate seeing animals have their lives cut short because of a racing injury, but that's the nature of the beast.

Do you have a horse mind reading machine?

i kind of buy your argument, but your example doesn't work. dogs are domesticated animals. they depend on you for their well being. you can't compare them to animals like lions and tigers who were born in the wild and can fend for themselves :2cents:

i kind of buy your argument, but your example doesn't work. dogs are domesticated animals. they depend on you for their well being. you can't compare them to animals like lions and tigers who were born in the wild and can fend for themselves :2cents:

:secret: Most animals that are now in zoos were born in captivity...not the wild.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 05:09 PM ----------

I guess he won't have another after all but the glue factory WILL have another soon I predict.

Why would they make him glue? Seriously, if you honestly think this then you have no idea how much his stud fees will be as a result of winning both the Derby and the Preakness.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 05:10 PM ----------

Do you have a horse mind reading machine?

Are yo saying horses don't love to run and run fast? Have ever been around horses?

I'm hearing the doping conspiracies, but I think it may just be a simple as a business decision; I think they were afraid to lose.

The stud fees for a horse that one the Derby, the Preakness, and was one tendinitis leg away from racing for a triple crown is (possibly) much higher than a horse who gets trotted out and has a poor showing with a majority of the nation watching to see what happens. The way I see it, a win increases the stud fees astronomically, but is also highly unlikely. A loss decreases the stud fees somewhat, but is reasonably likely. By pulling him out with an "injury" the stud fees can remain where they are, or perhaps even go up because of the "what if" in peoples minds.

We were responding to the naive notion that all animals that animals cannot serve as sources of entertainment. Are there things I do not like about horse racing? You bet, but to say that we should close zoos because horse racing can be bad...well that's a logical faceplant.

I agree with zoos. Convincing humans that animals are worthy of existing and not being eradicated for short term needs or convenience is a major reason why many species still exist. Zoos play a large role in that effort. I have no issue with horse racing at face value but like all things where money is involved regulation is needed. People will do horrible things to each other for small amounts of money, what chance to animals have when significant sums are in play? None.

Circus animals on the other hand... I would ban that entirely.

[/color]

Why would they make him glue? Seriously, if you honestly think this then you have no idea how much his stud fees will be as a result of winning both the Derby and the Preakness.

I guess when it comes to horses, humor and sarcasm is beyond you. Yes I do realize they are going to stud him out, they would be stupid not to.

Out of context GOLD! :ols::ols::ols:

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols: OMFG!! I'm crying. Good thing I didn't take a drink of coffee before seeing this.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

Can you imagine the look on the faces of the NBC Sports executives when they found out about I'll Have Another?

They probably said, "I'll have another," as they drank themselves into oblivion.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 10:26 AM ----------

Does someone know anything about horses? I don't. Why did the tendinitis keep him from running? I was thinking if it were a fracture, stretched or torn tendon or a hoof problem, he obviously couldn't race. Were they afraid he would injure it worse? Just asking, I don't know.

Archived