Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nats Thread (old thread link inside, too many load issues)

hunterx

Again, I can understand the hatred toward Angelos for keeping a team out of DC. I get that. But to tell me I'm not a real DC sports fan or that I'm harming my hometown by not rooting for the Nats is ridiculous.

You live in Richmond, if an NFL team or MLB team move there, would you drop the Skins and Nats?

Yeah, I'm a huge Skins, Caps, and Wizards fan but I grew up with O's baseball. I'd never leave it. When I watch the Nats, I feel nothing at all and just get bored. For me, its all about the feeling you get when you watch teams. In my case, my age makes a difference too. I know nothing of, nor do I care, about the old D.C. team back in the day.

The part of tonight that pissed me off is the fact that Davey Johnson inexplicably replaced Edwin Jackson with Tom "everything about me screams AAA" Gorzelanny after back-to-back 1-2-3 innings from Jackson in a 5-4 game, and then Johnson was waving the white flag in the sixth ****ing inning by keeping Gorz in after it was obvious to everyone that he was getting murdered. We were playing the ****ing Astros. With four bottom halves left, it wouldn't exactly have taken an act of God to score a few more runs and tie things up or take the lead. But no, we had to keep him in there, giving up hit after hit until Houston had double-digit runs, and then sending him out there again in the seventh as if to say, "Hey Astros! We think your lead should be even bigger!"

Terrible managing.

The part of tonight that pissed me off is the fact that Davey Johnson inexplicably replaced Edwin Jackson with Tom "everything about me screams AAA" Gorzelanny after back-to-back 1-2-3 innings from Jackson, and then Johnson was waving the white flag in the sixth ****ing inning by keeping Gorz in. We were playing the ****ing Astros. With four bottom halves left, it wouldn't exactly have taken an act of God to score a few more runs and tie things up or take the lead. But no, we had to keep him in there, giving up hit after hit until Houston had double-digit runs, and then sending him out there again in the seventh as if to say, "Hey Astros! We think your lead should be even bigger!"

Baseball is a long season. Not every game is do or die. Sometimes it's smart to just concede defeat and leave a reliever in there to get drilled and essentially take one for the team.

We were due a bad game. We won another series though so no big deal. On to the Fish.

Baseball is a long season. Not every game is do or die. Sometimes it's smart to just concede defeat and leave a reliever in there to get drilled and essentially take one for the team.

We were due a bad game. We won another series though so no big deal. On to the Fish.

Conceding defeat when it's 6 to 4 and it's the top of the sixth and you're at home makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Kind of like replacing a hot pitcher when it's 5 to 4 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially when you're not even doing it to pinch hit for him.

Conceding defeat when it's 6 to 4 and it's the top of the sixth and you're at home makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Kind of like replacing a hot pitcher when it's 5 to 4 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially when you're not even doing it to pinch hit for him.

Oh I didn't realize the game was 6-4, I just checked the box score and saw 11-4 so I assumed we were getting routed the whole way.

Oh I didn't realize the game was 6-4, I just checked the box score and saw 11-4 so I assumed we were getting routed the whole way.

Yeah, I'm strictly speaking about the game before it got out of hand. Once it's 10-4 or 11-4, I completely agree with you, if your bullpen isn't completely 100% rested you send a crappy reliever out there and let him take his licks and move on to the next game. But Davey Johnson quite obviously gave up when it was 6 to 4. In fact, while it wasn't as much of an obvious "give up" move, replacing Edwin Jackson at the top of the sixth inning, not the bottom of the fifth, when he hadn't given up a run since the first and hadn't given up a hit since the third and it's 5 to 4 hints toward throwing in the towel. Those situations are why I'm irritated.

I didn't understand the move to go to Gorz at all. I was at the game so I thought that maybe Jackson was looking iffy on his last few pitches perhaps. But Gorz came in and just completely **** the bed.

We were hitting well enough that I think we would have eventually tied ...

I watched the orioles as a kid, but i hated watching AL baseball. its so freaking boring. my NL team used to be the marlins but once the nats got here, it was a easy decision

Yeah dude, thank God the Nats are in the NL. I can just barely stomach watching AL games.

What if I was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs? Where is the border between "DMV" and Baltimore?

I mean that's your decision to make. Whichever city you feel a part of. But it's one or the other. You're either a Washingtonian or you're a Baltimoronian. There's no rooting for the O's and the Skins, or the Nats and the Ravens, or whatever.

I just feel that your hometown is part of who you are. And that a baseball team is a baseball team. You're not rooting for the nickname, you root for the city on the front of the jersey. To not, to root for some other city, is both selling your city out and selling yourself out. You have to support the hometown. Be a patriot. Love where you come from. Love who you are: a Washingtonian.

Yeah, I'm strictly speaking about the game before it got out of hand. Once it's 10-4 or 11-4, I completely agree with you, if your bullpen isn't completely 100% rested you send a crappy reliever out there and let him take his licks and move on to the next game. But Davey Johnson quite obviously gave up when it was 6 to 4. In fact, while it wasn't as much of an obvious "give up" move, replacing Edwin Jackson at the top of the sixth inning, not the bottom of the fifth, when he hadn't given up a run since the first and hadn't given up a hit since the third and it's 5 to 4 hints toward throwing in the towel. Those situations are why I'm irritated.

Really????

I hope we get some real baseball fans in DC and we make the ship right. We have one of the best records in baseball, have horrible attendance, don't know how to cheer on the team during a game, and ***** about the manager who is doing his best with a team with no hitting.

<sigh>

You have to walk before you run. Go buy some tickets to the game and support the team.

While I really don't care if people want to root for both the O's and the Nats, I cant understand why people from the DC area who grew up with the O's actually somehow still identify with the current team. The O's are an ongoing turnstyle of players. What is the ongoing rooting interest? What is the investment?

So, what you're saying is that all Redskins fans in Maryland (or from the Baltimore area) should have switched over to the Ravens when they got here? Am I understanding your logic right?

Anyway, I've been an Os fan since elementary school. I like the Nats, but there is no chance they'll supplant the Os as my team, no matter how bad the Os get (and it's hard to imagine them getting worse). Not sure why that irks and confuses Nats fans so much.

Really????

I hope we get some real baseball fans in DC and we make the ship right. We have one of the best records in baseball, have horrible attendance, don't know how to cheer on the team during a game, and ***** about the manager who is doing his best with a team with no hitting.

<sigh>

You have to walk before you run. Go buy some tickets to the game and support the team.

Ah, I see. So, the obviously logical response to "I think Davey made poor decisions" is "Go buy more tickets, ya ignorant schmuck. DC is still growing as a baseball town, therefore you must have no idea what you're talking about." And, of course, I'm apparently a "fake" fan who's "merely" attended several games already this season. God, I must suck. I plainly don't have the level of expertise necessary to offer any sort of opinion whatsoever regarding whether or not it was absolutely bat**** crazy to send Gorzy in when Davey did. No, I'm just lucky to successfully put my pants on in the morning without tripping over myself. Davey can do no wrong, and I hereby offer up my repentance for suggesting that he might have made a bad decision. Hail Mary, full of multiple RBIs thanks to Gorzy's pitching....

That makes a ton of sense, after all. I can just see how Stadium threads will go in a few months. "Why the hell did Shanny opt to kick a field goal when we were on our own 17?" "Season ticket sales are down, you jabroni! Buy some tickets, until then you haven't paid for the right to point out mistakes!"

Ah, I see. So, the obviously logical response to "I think Davey made poor decisions" is "Go buy more tickets, ya ignorant schmuck. DC is still growing as a baseball town, therefore you must have no idea what you're talking about." And, of course, I'm apparently a "fake" fan who's "merely" attended several games already this season. God, I must suck. I plainly don't have the level of expertise necessary to offer any sort of opinion whatsoever regarding whether or not it was absolutely bat**** crazy to send Gorzy out when Davey did. No, I'm just lucky to successfully put my pants on in the morning without tripping over myself. Davey can do no wrong, and I hereby offer up my repentance for suggesting that he might have made a bad decision. Hail Mary, full of multiple RBIs thanks to Gorzy's pitching....

That makes a ton of sense, after all. I can just see how the Stadium threads will go in a few months. "Why the hell did Shanny opt to kick a field goal when we were on our own 17?" "Season ticket sales are down, you jabroni! Buy some tickets, until then you haven't paid for the right to point out mistakes!"

No not really.

It's stop expecting a world series after 1 good 15 season schedule.

We were one of the worst teams in baseball and now we ***** about one game????

No not really.

It's stop expecting a world series after 1 good 15 season schedule.

We were one of the worst teams in baseball and now we ***** about one game????

Wow, you're really not getting it.

Let's say the Redskins were 10-0. Everyone was happy. The paloffs were now. Then in the 11th game, for no apparent reason whatsoever, Shanahan ordered the offense to punt on every first down, and we lost 28-0. And then I showed up here to talk about how dumb Shanny's decision-making was that day, only for you to respond with:

No not really.

It's stop expecting a Super Bowl after 1 good 15 season schedule.

We were one of the worst teams in football and now we ***** about one game????

That wouldn't make any damn sense. Now, obviously I've exaggerated the scenario to make my point, but that's only adjusting the degree of stupidity we're talking about here, not the more fundamental issue of whether or not terribly stupid decisions were made within a particular game. Moreover, you don't seem to be willing to acknowledge the difference between criticizing small-picture decisions and criticizing big-picture decisions. Not once have I complained about the Nats' big picture circumstances. Not once have I said that they're going in the wrong direction. Not once have I said Davey Johnson should be fired. Not once have I said that the roster needs radical adjustment.

I haven't said those things because they're directly opposite of the truth, at least so far this season. The team has been great. But that doesn't eliminate the possibility of Davey Johnson being a Goddamn moron within a single game. And that's what he was last night.

Really????

<sigh>

Well this was completely unnecessary.

Archived