Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nats Thread (old thread link inside, too many load issues)

hunterx

You know who has been a very plesant surprise this year? Jesus Flores. I really wasn't expecting much out of him, but he's done a damn good job whenever he's played. There really hasn't been much of a dropoff between him and Ramos in the games that Flores has started. Also helps that he's hitting .400 and our pitching staff seems to love him as much as Wilson.

I was pretty set back by the empty seats last night, though it gradually grew. Have any of you gone, does it feel at least half full during the week? We have a huge division matchup this weekend, hopefully we load the seats. Looks like the Marlins will see Detwiler, Strasburg and Gio.

---------- Post added April-18th-2012 at 09:38 AM ----------

You know who has been a very plesant surprise this year? Jesus Flores. I really wasn't expecting much out of him, but he's done a damn good job whenever he's played. There really hasn't been much of a dropoff between him and Ramos in the games that Flores has started. Also helps that he's hitting .400 and our pitching staff seems to love him as much as Wilson.

Ramos seems to be a better defensive catcher, no?

Maybe I was discounting the pitching this year. They've been great through the first couple weeks. Can they keep it up? Who knows. But for now, they've been VERY impressive.
I was pretty set back by the empty seats last night, though it gradually grew. Have any of you gone, does it feel at least half full during the week? We have a huge division matchup this weekend, hopefully we load the seats. Looks like the Marlins will see Detwiler, Strasburg and Gio.

Ramos seems to be a better defensive catcher, no?

Ramos has a cannon for an arm. That is the difference defensively. I think Flores is a tad quicker. But Ramos has power that Flores doesn't. A cannon for an arm with a power bat? There are like 5 of those in the league, and two of them play in the DC-Balt area.

Ramos is definitely more consistent, but Flores is no slouch. 2/2 in throwing out runners trying to steal on him thusfar this year. Big improvement over the past (at least through 12 games).

Flores seems to have a knack for when to talk to the pitchers to get them back on track. He did a great job last night with Gio. At this point, I think they're both about even.

Just looked up Derek Norris' stats for AAA: He's tearing it up -- .326BA .306OBP .652SLG 2HR in 46AB

Hope we didn't keep the wrong guy (Flores)

Gio pitched a gem last night. You can also tell in his interviews that he loves the area, team, and fans. That's a rarity in today's sports.

This is a fun team to watch!

I think we should consider GIO for our DH spot when we play interleague games...!

Flores seems to have a knack for when to talk to the pitchers to get them back on track. He did a great job last night with Gio. At this point, I think they're both about even.

Just looked up Derek Norris' stats for AAA: He's tearing it up -- .326BA .306OBP .652SLG 2HR in 46AB

Hope we didn't keep the wrong guy (Flores)

You meant .406 OBP, right?

Norris is going to be good, we knew that. He is not the same type of defensive player that Ramos is though, and his stats are going to be inflated in the PCL.

It's going to take time and legitimate contention to build up the fanbase. This area is basically learning a new sport here. People aren't going to give it a shot and spend time/money unless they think they are watching something good. It doesn't help that many baseball fans in the area are O's loyalists; for whatever twisted reason. I have no doubts it'll eventually work out though. If you build it (a winner), they will come.

It's going to take time and legitimate contention to build up the fanbase. This area is basically learning a new sport here. People aren't going to give it a shot and spend time/money unless they think they are watching something good. It doesn't help that many baseball fans in the area are O's loyalists; for whatever twisted reason. I have no doubts it'll eventually work out though. If you build it (a winner), they will come.

If the Caps were not playing Monday night I would have been at that game. Still haven't seen Stras pitch live.

Weather kinda sucks the rest of the week, hopefully Sat is decent

I think when you factor in that it is early in the season and school is still in session, it is no shock that the stadium is empty. But believe me, if we are still good by July 4th (which we should be) that thing will start to rock. That is usually when the most traffic happens for the season...

That sucks for me though because people just love to park in front of my house and walk to the stadium. :doh:

you know, I agree that more people need to show up for games. But so far this season watching different games on TV, I've noticed open seats at most games except the highest profile teams. Even O's opening day on TV I noticed an empty section there there.

I'm going on sunday....and maybe saturday too. Weekday evening games can be tricky with work and other responsibilities. Don't get me started on weekday baseball around the league. I love it, but you see half empty stadiums around the league....because as some have said. School is still going on.

I think when you factor in that it is early in the season and school is still in session, it is no shock that the stadium is empty. But believe me, if we are still good by July 4th (which we should be) that thing will start to rock. That is usually when the most traffic happens for the season...

That sucks for me though because people just love to park in front of my house and walk to the stadium. :doh:

Ball point pen, meet front right and rear left valve stem.

Well, they can always remove the park and the surrounding areas can return to their former "glory"

I sent Adam Kilgore a tweet telling him how much I appreciated his work so far this season. Guy has been on point, especially when talking about our pitching staff and what they've accomplished. He even took the time to reply to me and thank me. Class act and definitely my favorite beat writer of all DC sports.

On another topic, I think there's a high chance our game gets rained out tonight :(.

Most weekday games outside of like Fenway or Yankee Stadium have empty seats.

This is the truth. Hell I went to a Mariners Ichiro Bobblehead night here in Seattle and the stadium wasn't close to full. Can't remember what day of the week it was but they didn't have any bobbleheads left. ****ers.

We should see an increase in attendance with this weekend series against a division rival. I don't anticipate a sellout, but should be a respectable 25,000-30,000.

On our next home stand, we have a weekend series against the Phillies. I know that will be sold out, it would be embarassing if not! Actually, that Sunday game on May 6 is featured on ESPN. We'll see Gio, Zimm and EJax against the Phils then.

We should see an increase in attendance with this weekend series against a division rival. I don't anticipate a sellout, but should be a respectable 25,000-30,000.

On our next home stand, we have a weekend series against the Phillies. I know that will be sold out, it would be embarassing if not! Actually, that Sunday game on May 6 is featured on ESPN. We'll see Gio, Zimm and EJax against the Phils then.

I think it will be sold out despite the ploy by the Nats management not to sell tickets to fans in the greater Philly area.

I think it will be sold out despite the ploy by the Nats management not to sell tickets to fans in the greater Philly area.

Philly fans arent going to be so eager to make the trip when they realize they don't have an easy weekend in front of them. Let them come here and get swept and then next time they can keep their asses in philthy.

I'm thinking a day like today might be the time to get President's Club seats...they're going for like 120, which is about half what they normally are on Stubhub. I figure even if there are rain delays, you can just hang out and drink free beer and eat free food and watch them take BP...Has anyone ever sat there and had a similar experience?

I'm thinking a day like today might be the time to get President's Club seats...they're going for like 120, which is about half what they normally are on Stubhub. I figure even if there are rain delays, you can just hang out and drink free beer and eat free food and watch them take BP...Has anyone ever sat there and had a similar experience?

$120 for free beer and food for your entire time at the park? And watch BP? That sounds like a steal.

Archived