Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I finally watched Endgame the other night.  

It had its moments, but I think I’m good on 3 hour superhero movies.  Of course, it was 1000x better than Justice League or Last Jedi...so there’s that.

I watched Endgame on the flight. Meh. Good enough to keep me occupied for a few hours, but nothing memorable. Happy those actors got to make tons of money. 

I did watch Darkest Hour. Loved it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Put me in the aquaman sucks category. What a crap movie. I didn't know that was Nicole Kidman at first. Her plastic surgery looks awful. My wife had to tell me who she was.

"Somebody please help me!"

"I'll save you, plus I have a sequel coming out"

*takes off scuba gear and intentionally drowns

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, Fan since a Fetus said:

Put me in the aquaman sucks category. What a crap movie. I didn't know that was Nicole Kidman at first. Her plastic surgery looks awful. My wife had to tell me who she was.

At first?  I think that's the de aging video effects.  Makes people look like younger plasticy cgi versions of themselves.

So I finally gave into the inevitable and watched the latest Godzilla movie.  I'm here to watch a magic moth and a beefy radioactive iguana take on a lightning hydra and a fire pterodactyl.  That's the show.  Monsters fighting.  This movie gave me some of that, but not enough. 

The problem with this movie is the human characters felt like they were in the way.  It wasn't just bad writing either (and it was plenty bad), it was insane writing.  Remember Samuel L Jackson's character from Kingsman?  This movie was written by people that apparently thought Jackson's evil plan was a great idea.  The movie is essentially an argument for genocide as a solution.  As a way to restore balance.  We even get a closing credit montage of fictional headlines proclaiming that the world is so much better off after the monsters kill what is surely billions of people. 

Whoever wrote that movie belongs on a watch list.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

So I finally gave into the inevitable and watched the latest Godzilla movie.  I'm here to watch a magic moth and a beefy radioactive iguana take on a lightning hydra and a fire pterodactyl.  That's the show.  Monsters fighting.  This movie gave me some of that, but not enough. 

The problem with this movie is the human characters felt like they were in the way. 

Do you even Godzilla, bro?  That's like every movie in the series in a nutshell, humans are always in the way with some stupid plan.  It was literally a shoutout to all that, all the way to the oxygen destroyer from the original 1954 film :ols:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Good Boys: 9/10. HILARIOUS movie. Just about every scene had me rolling, but has some emotional adolescent coming of age moments too.

Thought about seeing this, thinking you confirmed it for me. Looks funny via commercials 

Wij (We)

WIJ-POSTER-Omhelzing-CERT.jpeg

Ok, this movie is just flat-out....(shaking my head)...It's....jeebus. Bizarre, unsettling, weird, dark, tries too hard, I dunno lol...it's about a group of high school teens in Finland or Holland or Amsterdam--somewhere like that--who decide to just drop all inhibitions for the summer out of boredom, I guess, and spend time wandering around and hanging out at this old shack in the middle of nowhere and running around naked and having the most casual sex possible and not caring about ****. But then they start thinking about ways to make money, and then things start getting darker and darker, and then everything spirals out of control, and some horrific crap happens. The story of what happens is told from the perspective of four different teens involved, so you see additional info each time the movie revisits certain events. TONS of nudity--I couldn't post the original movie poster lol...and the trailer is even NSFW. I'm still not sure what I think about it.

• Like 2

Rear Window: B+. Alfred Hitch**** Classic. Good movie, for the most part. Jimmy Stewart is great in it, though Grace Kelly is kind of a robot. 

It is fairly short, which I liked, doesn't drag on like Endgame or the Last Jedi. But it doesn't get a higher grade than B+, because it hasn't aged

well. It feels dated next to its slick modern counterparts. Worth a viewing, nonetheless. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ready or Not: 7.5/10. Very fun movie. Not really amazing in anyway, but just a real fun watch.

I saw that yesterday.  It's had it's slow moments but it was funny. I give this horror black comedy a  B- .

I saw "Angel Has Fallen" on Friday and it gets a solid B. If you like the first two, you will like this one.  Morgan Freeman gets promoted to president in this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Framing John DeLorean.  A from me.

The trailer gave me some pause.  It's a weird concept, it's part documentary, part drama, part behind the scenes of making a movie.  I didn't think it would work.

But it does.  Basically, Alec Baldwin is playing John DeLorean and is filming scenes that are part of DeLorean's story that are interspersed throughout a documentary on his rise and fall.  So if there's a scene that they're talking about something but no news footage of it exists, it's played by Baldwin.  Meanwhile, you're also getting interviews with Baldwin and the other actors who are explaining their thoughts on DeLorean, what these scenes mean to them and the story. 

It's got a lot of interviews with DeLoreans co-workers, people that helped him start the company...but there are heartbreaking interviews with his daughter and his son.  The son seems to be a bitter and jaded, yet in the end admits that he understands why his dad did what he did.  The daughter came to grips with everything by running towards the DeLorean fan community, bringing her dad to car events to show him how much people still cared about him.  Also, I thought the cocaine bust was the only thing he did but it wasn't.  

If you like the 80s, maverick type dudes who invent cool stuff, stories about cocaine, FBI agents and scandals, this is a great film.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Framing John DeLorean.  A from me.

The trailer gave me some pause.  It's a weird concept, it's part documentary, part drama, part behind the scenes of making a movie.  I didn't think it would work.

But it does.  Basically, Alec Baldwin is playing John DeLorean and is filming scenes that are part of DeLorean's story that are interspersed throughout a documentary on his rise and fall.  So if there's a scene that they're talking about something but no news footage of it exists, it's played by Baldwin.  Meanwhile, you're also getting interviews with Baldwin and the other actors who are explaining their thoughts on DeLorean, what these scenes mean to them and the story. 

It's got a lot of interviews with DeLoreans co-workers, people that helped him start the company...but there are heartbreaking interviews with his daughter and his son.  The son seems to be a bitter and jaded, yet in the end admits that he understands why his dad did what he did.  The daughter came to grips with everything by running towards the DeLorean fan community, bringing her dad to car events to show him how much people still cared about him.

Basically, if you like the 80s, maverick type dudes who invent cool stuff, stories about cocaine, FBI agents and scandals, this is a great film.  

Couldnt have said it better.

I really enjoyed this film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw Brad Pitt's new sci-fi flick, Ad Astra.  I left the movie not knowing what I had just watched.  It was a little weird.  Personally, I thought it sucked. So, it gets a C-.

Wow, really sucks hearing this.

My movie fanatic friends and I were talking in our chat the other day, 2019 has been yet another really disappointing year for Hollywood.  

I was hoping Ad Astra might somewhat salvage this otherwise trash year....nope.  :(

I keep scrolling through the 2015 movies and there were so many bangers.  Easily the best year for movies of the 21st century.  The last four years have been ass compared to it.  

Oh well, bring on 2020. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:00 AM, Mournblade said:

Rear Window: B+. Alfred Hitch**** Classic. Good movie, for the most part. Jimmy Stewart is great in it, though Grace Kelly is kind of a robot. 

It is fairly short, which I liked, doesn't drag on like Endgame or the Last Jedi. But it doesn't get a higher grade than B+, because it hasn't aged

well. It feels dated next to its slick modern counterparts. Worth a viewing, nonetheless. 

Christopher Reeve did a remake after his horseback accident. He wrote about it in his book "Still Me". His stage work background helped him use his face to act instead of his body (like the Superman role.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Wow, really sucks hearing this.

My movie fanatic friends and I were talking in our chat the other day, 2019 has been yet another really disappointing year for Hollywood.  

I was hoping Ad Astra might somewhat salvage this otherwise trash year....nope.  :(

I keep scrolling through the 2015 movies and there were so many bangers.  Easily the best year for movies of the 21st century.  The last four years have been ass compared to it.  

Oh well, bring on 2020. 

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw Brad Pitt's new sci-fi flick, Ad Astra.  I left the movie not knowing what I had just watched.  It was a little weird.  Personally, I thought it sucked. So, it gets a C-.

As a sci-fi and space nerd, I appreciated what they tried to do.  At best I can give it a B despite really liking the story telling format

Spoiler

I did not like the emphasis on rockets from the surface over reusable spaceplanes, an attempt at being plausible but in the earth takeoff it looked like part of the rocket was non reusable, inexcusable 

I loved the emphasis on what total commitment to a profession that comes with insane levels of isolation can do to people

A hated the lack of explanation of the earth radio tower, the moon base looked like 1G, the space pirate logic sounded stupid, the antimatter core of Lima causing what sounds like an EMP particle wave when one that strong should've melted the cable wires like a solar storm or why the antimatter was causing that, and theres no way taking a metal shield would protect him flying through a ring system, rocks fly too fast for that to protect him

It was still awesome seeing red camos on Mars, that even Norway had their own space station, it was an attempt to be plausible in what early multi-multi-planet would look like, and Tommy Lee not finding any intelligent life was very thought provoking despite not making it out the heliosphere to get the results they need to confirm his fear we were actually alone (and taking pictures of planets with no obvious signs of liquid water hinted that our process for finding those is not perfect, or me trying to give them benefit of the doubt)

The easy answer Navy jus confirmed UFOs and theres too many stars to say none of them have intelligent life when any detection process relies on evidence moving at the speed of light when some systems are thousands, millions or billions of lightyears away.  The signal we are looking for could've already came and went, but we missed it because dinasours didnt have radio yet

The point they should've made was the universe is old so there couldve been intelligent life that came and went making the same mistakes we did and civilizations probably come and go with no idea who to warn of their mistakes so other ones dont make them.  Or the more obvious, they dont want to be found yet, which theres really nothing we can do about and maybe we should take a hint and do the same

Its eye popcorn candy, but not enough explanation for the non space nerd to keep up on the points they are trying to make.  The only reason I care is because the ending made a very important point that a lot of people wont get

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

New Rambo has terrible reviews.

Not surprised, really.  The whole “Mexican druglord bad guy” thing feels awfully played out.  

I’d rather watch him shoot up the halls of Purdue Pharma.

What'd you expect?  :ols:

I also expected I couldn't read a few pages of Rotten Tomatoes reviews of the new Rambo movie without seeing a reviewer mention Trump somehow and I wasn't disappointed.  Matter of fact I think it was the 2nd or 3rd review.

I usually go by audience score anyway...and ever since the reviewers have trashed Chappelle's new special I feel like my decision to do so has been confirmed.  I am a man of the people, after all.  

• Haha 1