Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Chappie: C- / D+

For those that don't know, it's about a robot designer who creates a self-aware AI, and installs him into a police robot. It's Neil Blomkamp, Sharlto Copley, Hugh Jackman, and Sigourney Weaver. What could go wrong? Well, most of it.

I really just didn't see the point of the whole thing, or the message it was trying to convey. The characters were sub par, character development was bad, and plot holes were so big that even Trent Richardson could go through it. The writing for Jackman and Weaver makes you wonder why they even bothered to accept those roles. Did somebody put a gun to their head?

The CGI and motion capture was fantastic, and there were a few funny moments when the AI was learning behavior from it's white trash gangster "parents", but not a great movie overall. I really liked District 9, and Elysium, but this one is a miss.

Edited by ExoDus84

Not bad at all.  That'll still allow for a decent night's sleep.

I'm hearing decent things about San Andreas, we'll probably check it out.  Of course, the wife wants to see it because of Dwayne.  **** that big sexy ass dude.  I'm like the cable to his DirecTV.  :(

I was able to see in it regular 2D.  Didnt feel like paying for 3D and definitely not the IMAX price.

"After" (2012). Indie joint that was in the Horror cAtegory, but more like a Supernatural Mystery/Fantasy.

These two people meet on a bus, which eventually crashes. And they wake up with no idea how they got to where they are, which is a town with nobody in it

It got the "meh" treatment on IMDB, but we liked it... So they can all eat **** and die. Siskel & Ebert lookin asses. I am always partial towards these kinds of movies.

Gives off kind of a Stephen King storybook feel with a bit of Silent Hill. I just wish the blank stayed blank all the way through the movie. If you watch it you'll know what I mean

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Maggie. Arnold and his daughter (Abigail Breslin) are living on a zombie apocalypse. mlre of a drama than anything. Weird seeing Ahnold making actual acting faces....sorrow, confusion, etc. It was okay. C.

... my family just finished binge watching the lead-up to "Avengers Age of Ultron" thanks to Netflix and local library.

Thor - B, better than expected. Did not think this would rock, thought it was a Natalie Portman lookalike... really... she would do this?

Incredible Hulk - B+, the individual movies do a great job of giving good backstory. Edward Norton also surprised me in this role.

The Avengers - A, great ensemble action movie... Loki is such an awesome villian. You guys may have noticed how much my family enjoys action (too much for wife and 6 year old)

Ironman 3 - B-, plot was a bit stretched... Guy Pierce plays an awesome role, but AIM is not fully explained either.

Winter Soldier - A, just finished... biased since Cap is my son's favorite. Loved the plotline.

We skipped Dark World - my wife is getting concerned with exposing son to too much violence. He is at the age when all of his friends are getting to see whatever PG13 movies. Perhaps when he is 11 or 12 it will be different.

Just looking at PG13 movies when I was in the 8 to 12 year old range... nothing targetted at kids. Batman, which was a bit scary to watch.

PG had Roger Rabbit, Short Circuit 2, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Home Alone, the original TMNT, the Ernest Movies, What About Bob, and Mighty Ducks. I don't think PG13 was as marketed as much to kids as it is now.

Maybe I'm just a more permissive parent.

Yeah I remember watching PG13 Batman Returns in the theater while on vacation at Va Beach when I was 6.

The plot of that movie involves Selina Kyle being pushed out a window, supposedly to her death, Batman being framed for the murder of an innocent woman, the Penguin kidnapping all the first born children (toddlers) of Gotham's wealthy with the intent to murder them on Christmas Eve, when Batman stops this, he has an army of penguins equipped with rockets and mind control helmets storm Gotham to blow them up instead, Max Shrek being electrocuted to death by Catwoman and a fairly grisly Penguin death with blood pouring out his mouth and the penguins sadly taking his dead body into the water.

So Batman Returns makes any movie in the Marvel catalog look like some Yosemite Sam Saturday morning hijinx.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Hot Tub Time Machine 2. Funnier than I was expecting. I love crude humor. Craig Robinson only has three facial expressions but his delivery of one liners is great.

I was kinda under the influence so maybe I found it funnier than it is, but when I turned it on i was expecting to laugh a few times. Ended up laughing out loud a lot. It wasnt a very good movie, but it made me giggle. C.

Edited by Chew

The Wedding Ringer - to steal a bad review phrase from Sinster and Chew, **** outta here with that.

I laughed maybe 4 times. It was an interesting idea, horribly executed. A similar premise was done much better in I Love You Man, which I love.

It was predictable and watching it im sitting there wondering where the laughs are supposed to be, it's not that the jokes or lines fall flat, they just aren't even there.

Also, caught Jurassic Park on the AMC marathon this weekend. Just wow, that movie still blows me away. The cinematography and the score give me chills. For example, the scene where the arrive at the island and the helicopter is descending in front of the beautiful waterfall while the JP theme blasts. It's perfect. The way some the scenes are shot just are magical like the scene where the jeep stops and Alan is completely stunned and turns Ellie's head while she's talking and her jaw drops, then bam Brachiasauras. That scene all the way up to Hammond's "welcome Jurassic Park" where Alan looks and sees all the dinosaurs by the river is just brilliant.

I know there are some flaws but this movie is a home run. It even has some deeper thought provoking commentary that I didn't appreciate when I was younger like the lunch conversation where Malcolm is challenging Hammond on the ethics of experimenting with genetics to play God.

Id add that the special effects have rarely been topped even by today's standard. These are more realistic dinosaurs than anything that has been produced previously or since and I doubt Jurassic World will top it. I know Spielberg used a lot of models and physical costumes when he could and I think that really added to the realism.

This was the 2nd movie I ever saw in the theater and it changed my young opinion on what a movie could be and how they can transport you anywhere, even somewhere completely made up. I just had never been swept off my feet like that before. I still feel that when I watch it now, it's an absolute classic.

• Like 2

Hot Tub Time Machine 2. Funnier than I was expecting. I love crude humor. Craig Robinson only has three facial expressions but his delivery of one liners is great.

I was kinda under the influence so maybe I found it funnier than it is, but when I turned it on i was expecting to laugh a few times. Ended up laughing out loud a lot. It wasnt a very good movie, but it made me giggle. C.

I liked it.  I'd give it a B- based on the unrated cut.  That one actually had John Cusack in a brief cameo at the end.  Is that the one you watched?

The jokers laugh in the original Batman always feaked me out after he died - laugh box in his pocket? One liners go way over my son's head, he takes everything too literal.

Unsolved Mysteries was by far the scariest thing I remember watching, plus anytime a prisoner escaped from Lorton and it was all over the news.

The Wedding Ringer - to steal a bad review phrase from Sinster and Chew, **** outta here with that..

Kevin Hart is milking the game while he can, and I don't blame him.  He's been in five movies in the last 13 months, and from what I can remember, none of them were that good.  His schtick is getting old and his career is fizzling out fast.  I don't blame  him, get the $ while you can.  Hhis stand up movies have all been less and less funny each time. 

Unless Kevin pumps out another "seriously funny" stand up movie in the next year or two, his career might be reduced to doing small venue gigs

I liked it.  I'd give it a B- based on the unrated cut.  That one actually had John Cusack in a brief cameo at the end.  Is that the one you watched?

Yep, saw Cusack at the end so it must've been the unrated joint.  I streamed it in 1080 on that site i told yall about ;)

Edited by Chew

The entire point of PG13 is to be targeted at kids.

Gremlins and Indy's Temple of Doom come to mind as some of the first few PG13 movies. Those are both targeted at 10-12 year old boys (and girls).

Additionally, hardly anything kids themed is made at the PG level (not if they want to make money).

It's either G or PG13. 

Depicable Me and it's sequel/prequel being the only exception that comes to mind, recently. 

The entire point of PG13 is to be targeted at kids.

which is why Hollywood sucks for the most part these days.  Trying to squeeze every nickel and dime outta these action movies that should be Rated R by dumbing them down to PG-13. 

Predators 1 and 2 were some of the most violent movies of the 80s, rated R.  The Alien, Aliens were also extremely violent, rated R..  So what happens when two of the most violent, rated R monsters meet in one epic movie?!  Aliens Vs Predators, rated PG-13. 

Really, Hollywood??

look.gif

• Like 1

Yep, saw Cusack at the end so it must've been the unrated joint.  I streamed it in 1080 on that site i told yall about ;)

The Cusack cameo at the end and reference towards the Cincinnati Box boosted it to a B- for me.  If I had seen the theatrical release minus that scene.  Then definitely a C.  

The Cusack cameo at the end and reference towards the Cincinnati Box boosted it to a B- for me.  If I had seen the theatrical release minus that scene.  Then definitely a C.  

Yeah, i could bump to B-.  Maybe i was too harsh in my review, as I definitely laughed hard multiple times.  Not that expectations are very high for these kinds of movies, you know the story itself is gonna be pretty cheesy.  It's how the actors fill out the story, and Corddry and Robinson delivered. 

"Can I eat some wallfes!?  No, you gotta **** another dude!"  dawg :lol:

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

"After" (2012). Indie joint that was in the Horror cAtegory, but more like a Supernatural Mystery/Fantasy.

These two people meet on a bus, which eventually crashes. And they wake up with no idea how they got to where they are, which is a town with nobody in it

It got the "meh" treatment on IMDB, but we liked it... So they can all eat **** and die. Siskel & Ebert lookin asses. I am always partial towards these kinds of movies.

Gives off kind of a Stephen King storybook feel with a bit of Silent Hill. I just wish the blank stayed blank all the way through the movie. If you watch it you'll know what I mean

Another good recommendation Sin.  Started watching it with the wife Sunday night and finished it up yesterday evening.  We thought it was real good, up to the very ending.  I wanted a tad bit more closure, other than that solid.  

I think on Netflix the viewer rating was 2 out of 5 stars.  Definitely better than that.  I'd say a solid 3.5 - 4 stars overall.  Wife and I have always never cared about critics reviews of movies.  Too many gems that get **** on out there for no reason at all.

• Like 1

Another good recommendation Sin.  Started watching it with the wife Sunday night and finished it up yesterday evening.  We thought it was real good, up to the very ending.  I wanted a tad bit more closure, other than that solid.  

I think on Netflix the viewer rating was 2 out of 5 stars.  Definitely better than that.  I'd say a solid 3.5 - 4 stars overall.  Wife and I have always never cared about critics reviews of movies.  Too many gems that get **** on out there for no reason at all.

Whats your opinion on the 

Invisible Monster guarding the door that comes after them, only to become visible and ruin some of the suspense. We're led to think its some unquantifiably large supernatural force, but nah, its just some weird looking joint straight out of a Silent Hill game, easily killed. I didn't think it ruined the movie at all, but I DO think they could have done a better job building up the suspense until the very end.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Whats your opinion on the 

Invisible Monster guarding the door that comes after them, only to become visible and ruin some of the suspense. We're led to think its some unquantifiably large supernatural force, but nah, its just some weird looking joint straight out of a Silent Hill game, easily killed. I didn't think it ruined the movie at all, but I DO think they could have done a better job building up the suspense until the very end.

Agree 100%.  Wish they had played it out longer.

Foxcatcher.  what the ****?  Weird, weird, weird. 

Steve stole the show, he was brilliant.  Nomination for Best Actor was well deserved.  Channing showed us that he can actually act, he was good as Schultz.  Ruffles was great as usual.  I don't know much about wrestling, so it was pretty neat to watch Channing go through all his warm up routines and sparring scenes.  Those guys are some lean, strong mofos. 

I'm not sure what to say.  I liked the movie, but didn't think it was great.  I know it was based on a true story so you can only do so much with the script.  It was a little long, but the came together nicely with an ending I knew was coming, but still enjoyed.  I'd Give it a B+.

Edited by Chew

Foxcatcher.  what the ****?  Weird, weird, weird. 

Steve stole the show, he was brilliant.  Nomination for Best Actor was well deserved.  Channing showed us that he can actually act, he was good as Schultz.  Ruffles was great as usual.  I don't know much about wrestling, so it was pretty neat to watch Channing go through all his warm up routines and sparring scenes.  Those guys are some lean, strong mofos. 

I'm not sure what to say.  I liked the movie, but didn't think it was great.  I know it was based on a true story so you can only do so much with the script.  It was a little long, but the came together nicely with an ending I knew was coming, but still enjoyed.  I'd Give it a B+.

I love when you search Netflix to see if some of the movies recommended/reviewed in this thread are available and it gives you the craziest non-related movies it claims are related to said title.

Just searched Foxcatcher......it said it was not available for streaming, titles related:  House of Cards, Mad Men, The Interview, Orange is the New Black, Marco Polo, Snowpiercer.

LOL, tha ****?  They basically plugged almost all of their Netflix original series and tossed in a handful of movies that have zero to with the movie searched.  It does that for just about every movie not available, the majority of time.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

Foxcatcher was worth it for the performances, especially Carrell. The movie itself was pretty odd though, I don't know what to make of it.

I actually didn't know the story of what happened so I enjoyed seeing it all play it new to me. Still, it didn't go where I wanted and it wasn't what the trailers made it seem either.

The best thing I have to say about that movie is that my wife and I drove to Grandin Theater in Roanoke because it was the only place showing it. Grandin is an old fashioned theater made out of an old hotel. The theater rooms have brick walls and uncomfortable seats.

Well we were the only two in there beside another couple sitting in the very last row. It was a small room though. And the movie was incredibly quiet. We thought there was a volume problem. But if you've seen the movie you know how slow and quiet the first 30 minutes or so are. I mean you can hear every seat squeak or shifting shoes or opening a candy wrapper, it just echoed really loudly. It was uncomfortably silent.

So there I am just snacking on some Reese's pieces and minding my own business and without even looking over at me or taking her eyes off the screen my wife takes her hand, places it on the box of Reese's and just slowly slides it down into my lap. It was the most sauve shutdown ever, I was proud of her. Never even acknowledged me, just a "you're done here" and kept it moving.

I was obviously being too loud, I know I could barely hear over myself. It must have been tough for her

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man