Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Much PTO/Vacation Time Do You Get?

samy316

For those of you at work, how much time are you allowed per year?

I get 4 weeks PTO plus 2 weeks Sick Leave. If we do not use up all our PTO time by the end of the year, we can transfer up to 40 hrs of PTO on top of next years time.

Let me know what company you work for so I can make sure to never buy any stock

At my old job, I was up to 25 days of PTO. That included sick time, family care, bereavement, etc. We could carryover 1 week.

When I switched to a new company last year, I went down to 15 vacation days, but 40 sick days which include personal, family care, bereavement, etc. There are limits on how much sick time you can take for anything other than personal sickness. There is no carryover time unless your manager approves. They also make you take 5 consecutive days of vacation during the year.

The big switch for me was that up to this point in my career, I haven't been sick much. So I could use just about all of my 25 PTO days for my enjoyment. Now, I have to use my days wisely. But looking through the thread, I can see I still have a very good benefit here.

Not sure. I get 3 personal days plus however much vacation I accrue after 15 years. Our PTO is capped and I lose some every year. Take off about 3 weeks "vacation" a year including personal holidays. I work a lot, but I because I often work evenings and weekends (10:35PM and I'm working now) I have some flexibility to take off during the day, or take days off altogether and just check in periodically for problems.

It depends on the year and election cycle, but 6 or 7 weeks on average total. There is no real amount - we just take what we think is right. I also work 60+ hrs per week at certain times of the years so I don't feel bad taking so much time off.

3 personal days and sick leave is accrued per pay period/month. I maybe use 1 or 2 sick days a year and 1 or 2 personal days.
Damn. I would go crazy.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:14 AM ----------

Yeah in that sense I get unlimited vacation too.
You are supposed to be on a one month "vacation" as we speak...:)

Damn. I would go crazy.

Teachers get a good amount of holidays, but I still don't know how some of them make it to work every day. If I'm not feeling 100%, I can still go in to work and get by slacking off a bit. Probably not so easy with 40 little brats running around your office.

Is that paid vacation?

I`m reading a lot of replies that doesn`t read like it`s a paid vacation. So taking time off... without pay... doesn`t qualify as `vacation` time to me :)

Good question and there's no easy answer to it. My company's compensation plan is structured as a commission with a floor. I'm essentially guaranteed a minimum no matter how much or little I work, and due to some hard work and even more good luck, that minimum is what I'd be happy to make every year anyway. So if I take a bunch of time off and it's a slow year, it's paid vacation no matter how much I take. (If I slack off too much I'll get bought out and kicked to the curb, so there's no loafing around vacuuming up the minimum without working hard.)

Once my commission reaches that minimum level in a given calendar year, then my vacation time effectively becomes unpaid because any day off is a day when I'm not billing -- and I'm no longer below my guaranteed minimum so nothing fills in that lost revenue. But by that point I've made enough for my and my family's comfort, by virtue of passing the minimum, so I don't really fret about losing a billable day.

This setup makes two terrible things really easy:

1. To work constantly -- after all, if I work through every weekend then I've increased my annual income by roughly 40% before taxes etc. Family? What family? I know a few folks who do this and they're miserable.

2. To weigh the merit of each vacation day by saying "This day off will cost me $x in lost revenue. Is is worth it?" The cost equation of the occasional family vacation then is dominated by lost income and I'd never go anywhere.

So I take the vacation when I want to, spend time with my family, and decide to weigh the whole thing only in aggregate at the end of the year. It's not a formula for pinching pennies but it's a formula for happiness. Some of it is paid, some of it isn't, but there's definitely no such thing as a paid sick day. Booooooo.

For me and all Federal employees it is 4 hours of annual and 4 hours of sick leave a paycheck (every two weeks). Once I hit April 13 this year I will go up to 6 hours annual a paycheck. Once you hit 15 years as a Federal employee it goes up to 8 hours of leave. Sick leave never changes from 4 hours.

This is me as well, though my 6 hours kicks in on April 1, so I've got you by about two weeks. Don't know if any other Fed mentioned it, but if you never use your sick leave and have at least 2,000 hours or so at the end of your career, you can trade in all the sick leave and retire a year early, and will still get credit for the extra year of service. That's how it is now anyway, always subject to change.

This is me as well, though my 6 hours kicks in on April 1, so I've got you by about two weeks. Don't know if any other Fed mentioned it, but if you never use your sick leave and have at least 2,000 hours or so at the end of your career, you can trade in all the sick leave and retire a year early, and will still get credit for the extra year of service. That's how it is now anyway, always subject to change.

Plus, I think most, by the time they retire have the max of 250 annual leave and can cash that out as well.

Same way at the state of MD if I remember correctly. It was also pretty insane seeing the amount of annual leave payouts (cash) some people get there.

Archived