Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Much PTO/Vacation Time Do You Get?

samy316

My PTO and Sick Pay are separate.

PTO is dictated based on amount of time spent with company (which I'm sure is the same for most of you). I've been here for a year, so I get 2 weeks vacation, plus a "personal holiday" to use at my choice. I also work on a "flexible 9s" schedule where I work 9 hour shifts but get every other Friday off. Last year it was very convenient in lining up with Federal holidays where my off-day happened the following week. If your scheduled day off ever happens on a holiday, you get a "floating holiday" to use whenever you want throughout the callendar year. I am allowed to carry over a max of 2 weeks per year of unused vacation time, and I have the option to "buy out" another week of vacation when I need it that will be adjusted out of my salary.

Sick Pay is 160 hours at 100 percent pay and something like 400 hours at 80 percent pay. With this, you use it when you need it and if you don't happen to use a sick day for 6 full months, your "balance" resets to that mark.

All in all I think I lucked out in landing my job with a company known for having great benefits. There certainly are perks for working for big corporations, even though its definitely not a lifestyle that everyone may enjoy. So far (I graduated from college in May), I am certainly enjoying it.

Damn. I would go crazy.

well, I am a teacher, so I get a few extra days a year :)

I also get Admin development days, which are days that I have training or team planning.

But I do still go crazy.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:34 PM ----------

Teachers get a good amount of holidays, but I still don't know how some of them make it to work every day. If I'm not feeling 100%, I can still go in to work and get by slacking off a bit. Probably not so easy with 40 little brats running around your office.

yeah, and when we are not at school, writing lesson plans takes a lot of time, along with getting all the materials ready. If I have to be gone, it's a process...and lots of teachers just come to school when most people would take off bc we don't want to deal with getting lesson plans ready. We have "emergency" plans, but they never get used.

And being sick at work sucks when you're a teacher...the kids are 10x more annoying!

MissU, Don't you have 2 months off that most people don't also ??? I think he might be forgetting that part. :silly:

Yes, and if people are jealous of my two months off they should become teachers.

.....now see how zero of the people who complain about that want to become teachers. "I wouldn't get paid enough!" "It's not worth it!" ...Trust me, we need those 2 months off.

Yes, and if people are jealous of my two months off they should become teachers.

.....now see how zero of the people who complain about that want to become teachers. "I wouldn't get paid enough!" "It's not worth it!" ...Trust me, we need those 2 months off.

I know a few teachers who bartend during the summer, because they don't make enough just teaching to pay off their student loans. You guys have it rough.

The good thing for some teachers is that they get to move on to obscenely paid administrator jobs that keep teachers from getting paid what they deserve.

:ols:

As for me - currently, after 10+ years at my job, I get 17 paid (and paid out after leaving) hours of vacation/sick time per month. Caps at 600..but many go over and have to work with their bosses to reduce their levels. I'm looking at over 330 right now - with no big vacations planned this year. Unless I get to go to Kauai or Maui. Yeah, sucks to be me. :ols:

I think some teachers get paid more than people think. I take home a little over $3k a month, and I am in my 7th year of teaching and have a master's. Definitely not destitute, but definitely not a lot of disposable income.

It's sad, though, that my mom's pension is more than I'll make in my lifetime.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

The good thing for some teachers is that they get to move on to obscenely paid administrator jobs that keep teachers from getting paid what they deserve.

:ols:

ugh, I have no desire to be an administrator, especially an assistant principal. I would HATE dealing with disciplinary infractions all day and calling parents and evaluating teachers and....etc. No thanks.

I think some teachers get paid more than people think. I take home a little over $3k a month, and I am in my 7th year of teaching and have a master's. Definitely not destitute, but definitely not a lot of disposable income.

I had a teacher that was making over 40 a year, over 20 years ago. He was far from struggling while pulling up in his Corvette.

I think if I had kids my tune might change

You would have a lot more time to spend with them than many other parents do.

Financially might not sit as well for you, but I am pretty sure I can afford for us to have kids at some point. I thought we discussed that I don't really want kids. I have nieces and nephews already. Geez.

You drive a hard bargain. :ols:

****, I can't even keep track any more. I think its:

4 weeks vacation

2 weeks sick

2 weeks family sick

Its basically unlimited on all fronts, and I never come close to taking all of it. Its an interesting thing to consider the effects of a policy of unlimited sick/vacation time. I think the theory goes that when you give unlimited time, people are less compelled to abuse it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129137542

7 hours a month + 2 personal days.

7 hours of sick leave per month.

They pay me for the first 15 days I'm on a FEMA deployment as well.

I don't really pay attention to it all though (besides the FEMA leave/pay). Most of it is just building up in my accounts as I haven't gone on many vacations or been very sick since I got my job. Plus, if I'm sick one morning, I can "flex" my inspection schedule around where I'll work on the weekend or work overtime one day to make up for the other day(s) I might have the flu or have to take a personal day if a family member is in town, so I don't have to dip into my PTO savings. That being said, I do my best not to abuse that privilege as I am very aware of the fact that taking multiple days off, even for severe illness, does not look good to the executive leadership of the health department. Needless to say, I'm not leaving my job any time soon.

i get 3 weeks (15 days) a year.

I do get quite bit of compensated time off when I travel internationally to work as I am currently doing right now. Any ESer in Anogla? haha...

I think I will get probably close to 7-8 weeks of compensated time off this year but I am most likley decide to get cash out for those hours instead of getting the actual time off.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 08:24 AM ----------

It's sad, though, that my mom's pension is more than I'll make in my lifetime.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

ugh, I have no desire to be an administrator, especially an assistant principal. I would HATE dealing with disciplinary infractions all day and calling parents and evaluating teachers and....etc. No thanks.

Well one of my friends who is a high school teacher (7 years exp) in Fairfax County is pulling in about 80-90k a year. He is doing alot of extra work on the side to get to that amount such as night school, summer school, and tutoring. I was surprised but I guess, if you look at the right places, there are quite a bit of opportunities for teachers increase their take home income.

Archived