Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we going to resign Davis?

Bleed B&G

Davis is an idiot and so is Williams. Unfortunately, they are talented idiots and the Skins need them. Obviously any contract has to include a morality clause that states if the doesn't play for the entire season due to suspension to drugs, then he must refund a prorarted portion of the signing bonus. His salary for the suspension period will be forfeited any way, but getting the signing bonus back is tough.

I foresee a contract with a sequence of roster bonuses in lieu of a signing bonus. Let's face it, now that the Vinny and Danny show are over all NFL teams are going to protect themselves when offering a contract to a play who is such a risk. Davis really screwed himself out of a lot of guaranteed money.

Davis must realize he's badly damaged his chances at a big, front loaded payday with such reckless and juvenile behavior. I think Shanallen sould offer a shorter contract of 3 years. The first 2 yrs would be heavily incentive laden with a significant bonus payment in the 3rd should he still be with the team.

The other thing about this debacle is TE next year. If Shanallen were not thinking TE in free agency or draft before this happened, they absolutely have to now. There is no guarantee that Cooley will make it all the way back to his old form and there's no guarantee that Davis will stay clean. Paulsen may be a solid prospect but those are huge shoes to fill. We are going to have to bring in some insurance.

This is beyond ludacris, you know the rules and you're breaking them 3 times, jeopardizing your career. Those guys can't be trusted, now they have a Damocles sword hanging over their head. How do you want to build a team around idiots like that ?.

Do we want him back, yes.

Do we gonna brake the bank for him, no.

I think that he is still inconsistent and don't wanna spend the huge bucks for him. I would rather franshise him (that a lot of $$$, I know) and see if he can keep producing.

I also think that the market for him is not that huge, lot of team already have a athletic pass catching TE.

he is not of the elite TE status he is a good TE. I would not give anyone a guaranteed big bonus with a 2 yr suspension just a puff away

He's definitely can be considered elite. How many other TE can you put ahead of FD83? If you can name more than 10 TE's that are clearly better than Davis and it's not debatable,Then I will agree. FD83 has the numbers and I think in a very good offense he can be great:point2sky

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 12:38 PM ----------

I am of the camp that thinks we have to re-sign him, but if he gets suspended for a year, he most likely won't even have the value of a 7th round pick.

Well I'm not so sure about that bud. . Just saying FD83 is a beast some one will find a way to use him.. alah Ricky Williams Who wasn't as good as FD at the time considering his age, and his talent was starting to fade, Still found other teams to play for despite the whole herb thing. just saying anything is possibility

He's definitely can be considered elite. How many other TE can you put ahead of FD83? If you can name more than 10 TE's that are clearly better than Davis and it's not debatable,Then I will agree. FD83 has the numbers and I think in a very good offense he can be great:point2sky

Sign him to a big deal and Davis will be the skins version of Andray Blatche.

It is not that difficult to draft good to great TEs especially when Davis refuses to accept a incentive laden contract from us. Just use a 3rd rounder to grab that 6'8 TE, Andrew Luck has been throwing to since he didn't have any fast WRs.

Well sure. I wonder how many 1st round picks teams will be throwing us for him?

Not so sure about that pimpin. When bum ass players like Carson Palmer are rewarded TWO 1st rounders for his talent then anything is possible. I mean come on J.Campbell was worth a 4th round pick? Davis is only going to get a 7th for his talent? I dunno, but I would bet on a coach like Pete Carroll would swing us a 4th or better for the services of Davis. To be reunited back with Davis I think PC might give some thing up for him

Well I'm not so sure about that bud. . Just saying FD83 is a beast some one will find a way to use him.. alah Ricky Williams Who wasn't as good as FD at the time considering his age, and his talent was starting to fade, Still found other teams to play for despite the whole herb thing. just saying anything is possibility

And Williams was never traded after his four game suspension....

I'm not saying nobody would sign Fred. I'm saying nobody would give up anything of value to us.

He's definitely can be considered elite. How many other TE can you put ahead of FD83? If you can name more than 10 TE's that are clearly better than Davis and it's not debatable,Then I will agree. FD83 has the numbers and I think in a very good offense he can be great

1 Dallas Clark Colts

2 Vernon Davis 49ers

3 Ed Dickson Ravens

4 Jermichael Finley Packers

5 Antonio Gates Chargers

6 Tony Gonzalez Falcons

7 Jimmy Graham Saints

8 Rob Gronkowski Patriots

9 Aaron Hernandez Patriots

10 Greg Olsen Panthers

11 Brandon Pettigrew Lions

12 Kellen Winslow Buccaneers

13 Jason Whitten Cowpokes

Honorable mention

Visanthe Shiancoe Vikings

Here's a question:

How often do the dudes who fail a second piss test eventually fail a third?

I don't know the answer or know where to find out.

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 04:17 PM ----------

Dude's one of the top 3 TEs in the league right now, with the potential to be #1 next year. You HAVE to resign him.

That's a stretch. It's not a stretch to say he would be one of the top three TEs on the Patriots, however.

We negotiated their suspensions from a year down to 4 games. One more strike & Fred is gone for a year. Do you really think there won't be language in the contract we re-sign Davis to that protects the teams' investment in him?

We negotiated their suspensions from a year down to 4 games. One more strike & Fred is gone for a year. Do you really think there won't be language in the contract we re-sign Davis to that protects the teams' investment in him?

I don't. Because the days of Vinny et al are over.

Which essentially wiped out the rest of this year... smart business tactic if you ask me.

Can someone explain how Williams' contract will be affected by all of this?

Sure, but to protect the team's investment means no significant up-front money. Any guaranteed money could be paid out in future installments with a voidable option. I'm not sure if his agent would go for it.

Archived