Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Is there any way I could beg or coerce your buddy into a Russell Wilson cut-up?

I have a feeling about this kid. Looked really good in the bowl game.

Feel like we need to take a flier on him, even if we go Flynn in FA or Luck/RGIII in the first (although that would be difficult considering the draft picks we'd be giving up).

I have a feeling about this kid. Looked really good in the bowl game.

Feel like we need to take a flier on him, even if we go Flynn in FA or Luck/RGIII in the first (although that would be difficult considering the draft picks we'd be giving up).

Russell Wilson is my favorite QB prospect in the draft.

But there's always gonna be the height question.

If you think about it other then the Saints if there is one team where his height shouldn't be an issue its here.

5'11 Russell Wilson's throwing motion has a high release point which probably makes his release point at least equal if not taller then 6'1 Tyrannosaurus Rex short armed 3/4 sidearm slings.

Russell Wilson is my favorite QB prospect in the draft.

But there's always gonna be the height question.

If you think about it other then the Saints if there is one team where his height shouldn't be an issue its here.

5'11 Russell Wilson's throwing motion has a high release point which probably makes his release point at least equal if not taller then 6'1 Tyrannosaurus Rex short armed 3/4 sidearm slings.

He's probably not 5'11 though. Great qb, if he were 4 inches taller people would be talking about him as a top ten pick. I think he brings a lot of what RG3 brings to the table, doesn't have the elite speed but is thicker, and has pro style and multiple read progression experience. One thing to note is that everyone on that Badgers o-line is over 6'4, and it's not like Russell Wilson struggled seeing past them or throwing over them.

I'm curious if short qb's have failed because of batted passes and trouble seeing the field, or if they've failed because there are not that many great short qb's. There has not been a single qb under 6' drafted since 2000, and he was a late 7th rounder named Joe Hamilton, who had a great senior year but wasn't consistently great like Wilson has been, wasn't as much of an athlete, and he played in an option offense. We probably haven't seen a great qb prospect under 6' in the past 25 years, with the best actual short qb in that timespan being who? Doug Flutie? So I'm curious if his height is as much of a death sentence as people make it out to be.

He's probably not 5'11 though. Great qb, if he were 4 inches taller people would be talking about him as a top ten pick. I think he brings a lot of what RG3 brings to the table, doesn't have the elite speed but is thicker, and has pro style and multiple read progression experience. One thing to note is that everyone on that Badgers o-line is over 6'4, and it's not like Russell Wilson struggled seeing past them or throwing over them.

I'm curious if short qb's have failed because of batted passes and trouble seeing the field, or if they've failed because there are not that many great short qb's. There has not been a single qb under 6' drafted since 2000, and he was a late 7th rounder named Joe Hamilton, who had a great senior year but wasn't consistently great like Wilson has been, wasn't as much of an athlete, and he played in an option offense. We probably haven't seen a great qb prospect under 6' in the past 25 years, with the best actual short qb in that timespan being who? Doug Flutie? So I'm curious if his height is as much of a death sentence as people make it out to be.

Funny detail...Sonny and Joe Theisman both are around/below 6´.

Less funny detail. Rex his full name: Rex Daniel Grossman III...short RGIII? Good headline for the offseason RGIII vs RGIII, battle of the 3th generation.

Sonny was also named the third of his familie...do we have a thing for 3th generation QB's?

1.) Robert Griffin III

Forget Luck!

I absolutely concur. RG3 should be our pick. Out of all of the QBs in college football Luck may be the most pro ready, but if you're a pro scout, you can't ignore Griffin III's ability to scramble, his amazing accuracy, his minimal amount of INTs, and his splendid on target deep ball. RG3 is a better athlete than Luck, which is the main reason he beat Luck out for the Heisman.

Being an NC State guy, I love Russell Wilson, and wish like hell I could talk him up as a choice and not sound stupid. Oh well.

I guess, since Luck is out of bounds, both in reality and in this thread, I'd have to go with RG3. Looking at his numbers since 2008, I'd say his iron is hot and the temperature is still rising. I'm really hoping he survives to the 6th pick. Rams, Vikes, and Bucs won't go after a QB. The whole thing with Luck and Peyton, Cleveland's needs, and Matt Flynn as a monkey wrench could get interesting. I'm hoping Peyton gets healthy, Cleveland trades up for Luck and we catch RG3. My other scenario is Luck goes to Indy and Cleveland picks up Flynn on the cheap without sacrificing a draft pick and we still get RG3. I'm kind of hoping the Browns prefer Flynn to any other option, as they would see him as still very young, but a guy who's got experience and training in the NFL already. After the McNabb debacle and the Grossman/Beck circus, I really want a top round 1 draft pick this year.

I absolutely concur. RG3 should be our pick. Out of all of the QBs in college football Luck may be the most pro ready, but if you're a pro scout, you can't ignore Griffin III's ability to scramble, his amazing accuracy, his minimal amount of INTs, and his splendid on target deep ball. RG3 is a better athlete than Luck, which is the main reason he beat Luck out for the Heisman.

And if you're a pro scout you can't ignore Luck's mastery of the offense, including his ability to call all the plays from the LOS. You can't ignore his ability to read defenses, scan the whole field, go quickly through multiple progressions while dropping back from under center, and manipulate defenders. You can't ignore his clutch play when he has to drive his team down the field to win or tie late in the game. You can't ignore his exceptional footwork and mechanics, pocket presence, and ability to evade pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. You also can't ignore his great accuracy in the pocket or on the move, his arm (which is better than most give him credit for), his athleticism outside of the pocket and ability to scramble (no he isn't as fast as Griffin but he is very athletic).

I like Griffin. I think he is a very good prospect. But it is just weird how some people pump him up while essentially downplaying how damn good Luck really is.

And if you're a pro scout you can't ignore Luck's mastery of the offense, including his ability to call all the plays from the LOS. You can't ignore his ability to read defenses, scan the whole field, go quickly through multiple progressions while dropping back from under center, and manipulate defenders. You can't ignore his clutch play when he has to drive his team down the field to win or tie late in the game. You can't ignore his exceptional footwork and mechanics, pocket presence, and ability to evade pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. You also can't ignore his great accuracy in the pocket or on the move, his arm (which is better than most give him credit for), his athleticism outside of the pocket and ability to scramble (no he isn't as fast as Griffin but he is very athletic).

It's better to down play Luck simply because he's not going to be our pick. I've watched college football games this season where Luck did all of those things you talked about. Luck is a phenom. But so is RG3.

I like Griffin. I think he is a very good prospect. But it is just weird how some people pump him up while essentially downplaying how damn good Luck really is.

I wasn't saying I think we will likely have a shot at Luck. We certainly could if the Colts have a healthy Peyton and decide to keep him and trade out of the #1 spot, but it isn't likely. I was mostly referring to some posters in here (not necessarily you...you didn't really bash Luck or anything, you just highlighted Griffin's attributes without really mentioning Luck's) who are absolutely in love with Griffin and will pump him up by going on about his attributes while actively downplaying Luck's.

Funny detail...Sonny and Joe Theisman both are around/below 6´.

Less funny detail. Rex his full name: Rex Daniel Grossman III...short RGIII? Good headline for the offseason RGIII vs RGIII, battle of the 3th generation.

Sonny was also named the third of his familie...do we have a thing for 3th generation QB's?

Yep, knew that about those two, but the league has changed so much in the past 25 years. Everybody is bigger, faster, and stronger than they were back then. Lawrence Taylor was thought of as big and intimidating for a rush linebacker at 6'3 237, whereas last year Von Miller was undersized at 6'3 245.

I wasn't saying I think we will likely have a shot at Luck. We certainly could if the Colts have a healthy Peyton and decide to keep him and trade out of the #1 spot, but it isn't likely. I was mostly referring to some posters in here (not necessarily you...you didn't really bash Luck or anything, you just highlighted Griffin's attributes without really mentioning Luck's) who are absolutely in love with Griffin and will pump him up by going on about his attributes while actively downplaying Luck's.

It's the case of the incredible playmaker vs. the quarterback who has everything you want in a prototypical quarterback.

I don't get it either.

To be fair, I think most people have just written off Luck as unattainable. Also, this is the draft silly season where everyone nitpicks the guys who have spent all season at the top of the draft board and does the opposite with the lower tier guys (not that I think Griffin is lower tier).

By the same token people have been pumping up Luck ad nausem to the point where its become accepted groupthink.

But I bet if you asked many Luck fans why he's such a great prospect or even why he's a better prospect then Griffin they would be grasping at straws and end up with: he's more pro-ready.

By the same token people have been pumping up Luck ad nausem to the point where its become accepted groupthink.

But I bet if you asked many Luck fans why he's such a great prospect or even why he's a better prospect then Griffin they would be grasping at straws and end up with: he's more pro-ready.

Ding Ding! 100% True.

Problem with this is that in this and other threads a few people have talked about why they like Luck and what they think makes him special. I know I have. However, sometimes it just gets dismissed for various reasons. This really feels like a loaded question because it seems that, no matter what people come up with to support why they want Luck, the likely answer that you or someone else will throw back is "that is essentially just saying he is more pro-ready so you proved my argument".

Problem with this is that in this and other threads a few people have talked about why they like Luck and what they think makes him special. I know I have. However, sometimes it just gets dismissed for various reasons. This really feels like a loaded question because it seems that, no matter what people come up with to support why they want Luck, the likely answer that you or someone else will throw back is "that is essentially just saying he is more pro-ready so you proved my argument".
I try and post both sides about any prospect Griff or Luck.

You can look at any of my post about Luck and his positives aren't dismissed at all.

Since last year(even going back to before the season when I was accosted by the forum ;) for stating that I thought Cam Newton was a better prospect then Luck)

I've always stated that I think Luck's major assests are his playmaking and size.

I'm not intending to ask a loaded question, I'm not really asking a question, I'm just stating my opinion.

Imo a lot of the reasons people give in support of Luck derive from Stanford's system and result imo in Luck being more 'pro-ready'.

As I stated with Barkley for certain teams being more pro-ready is a valuable assest.

However I don't believe it makes Luck the better prospect and I think being more pro-ready is a relatively short lived advantage.

Imo the groupthink surrounding Luck has become so accepted for so long i.e. 'greatest QB prospect since...' that any dissenting opinion is met with a certain lack of objectivity/disdain.

---------- Post added January-6th-2012 at 05:12 AM ----------

~{profile on Luck}

I don't know if we will trade up for RG3 or draft someone lower, but I will say this: this franchise must get this pick right. I live in Montgomery County and it honestly shocked me how much Ravens gear I saw today. Skins fansnyounger than me don't have memories of any championships, so I don't exactly blame younger Ravens fans, but the amount I saw today was absolutely jarring.

For whatever reason why I would like Luck over RG3 in the LIMITED GAMES I SAW (emphasized to make sure everyone knows I'm not an expert), Luck seemed to have more pocket poise and inspired more confidence in me that he could do the same thing over and over. RG3 made plays that were amazing, but for some reason they didn't inspire confidence in me... I'd be ecstatic with both, but that/'s just my point of view

Archived