Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

My dark horse QB in this entire process is RUSSELL WILSON... The guy has done nothing but excel as a QB, he's smart, mature, durable, and athletic as hell. I know all about his height but I'm saying Regardless, he can have success at the NFL level.

I'm with you. I have RW as my third best QB in this draft. I think if somehow his height can be worked around, he can be a very effective starter.

I know the competition was vastly different but based on numbers, size, accuracy and speed can someone explain what traits makes RG3 such a superior prospect compared to Josh Johnson?

Accuracy for 1. Have you seen someone with his running ability throwing very accurate deep passes that he do. I mean you can't see him being the better prospect than Johnson?

I know the competition was vastly different but based on numbers, size, accuracy and speed can someone explain what traits makes RG3 such a superior prospect compared to Josh Johnson?

Level of competition.

Accuracy on both the deep and shorter routes.

Better touch on the ball.

Plus a lot more. I like JJ but he's nowhere in the class of RG3.

Just figured I would throw out there that "John Beck" just put in an application at my office.

Didn't see his face, but our secretary just yelled "Brad, just got an application from a "John Beck", would you like to review it or should I just file it?"

Classic. Priceless. Hilarious. Can't pick a word but that just made my day and I had to share.

Great story...the office is just like the TV serie, fun, hilarious, annoing and weird. This fits just right in there.

Just figured I would throw out there that "John Beck" just put in an application at my office.

Didn't see his face, but our secretary just yelled "Brad, just got an application from a "John Beck", would you like to review it or should I just file it?"

Classic. Priceless. Hilarious. Can't pick a word but that just made my day and I had to share.

I think if it is him you should tell him that you have a strict mullets only hair policy for employees just to watch his eyes light up. Then you can try to work phrases like "the ball's in your hands" into your interview to see if he panics and holds on to it for too long.

Tell him he has the job if he can go outside and manage to hit the broad side of a barn with a football.

I think if it is him you should tell him that you have a strict mullets only hair policy for employees just to watch his eyes light up. Then you can try to work phrases like "the ball's in your hands" into your interview to see if he panics and holds on to it for too long.

Tell him he has the job if he can go outside and manage to hit the broad side of a barn with a football.

You actually mention some of the things that imo make Griffin a superior prospect:

o level of competition which cannot be overstated IAA vs DI.

o Size:Griffin will enter the league already with a better physique then Johnson has in his 3rd year.

o Arm talent: Griffin has a stronger arm i.e. throws with more velocity and has greater distance and accuracy with the deep ball

o Speed: Griffin is an olympic level track athlete

But I agree that they are somewhat similar prospects.

I was a fan of Josh Johnson coming out but Johnson benefited from playing in a superior system with superior coaching(Harbaugh) compared to the rest of the D-1AA schools.

Accuracy for 1. Have you seen someone with his running ability throwing very accurate deep passes that he do. I mean you can't see him being the better prospect than Johnson?

And while I obviously see more talent in Griffin I still dont see how that makes him the number 2 overall pick, as opposed to a fifth rounder. I gotta say Im just a little worried to trade all these picks away for a one year Heisman Guy whose skills may not totally translate to the NFL

---------- Post added January-16th-2012 at 10:36 AM ----------

and all this stuff about speed, I realize Griffin is an olympic track runner but not sure how well that translates to having elite football speed as say a Vick/Chris Johnson. I cant see him running much lower than the 4.44 that Johnson posted

And while I obviously see more talent in Griffin I still dont see how that makes him the number 2 overall pick, as opposed to a fifth rounder. I gotta say Im just a little worried to trade all these picks away for a one year Heisman Guy whose skills may not totally translate to the NFL

and all this stuff about speed, I realize Griffin is an olympic track runner but not sure how well that translates to having elite football speed as say a Vick/Chris Johnson. I cant see him running much lower than the 4.44 that Johnson posted

One year Heisman Guy? He was productive 3/4 years, with one being an injury year. He has outstanding arm talent, the best deep accuracy in the draft, great leadership ability, the ability to fit the ball into tight windows, an uncanny ability to extend the play WITHIN the pocket. He has a LOT of things that Johnson doesn't and he's a better prospect than all of the first round QBs this past year besides Newton.

As for Johnson - he ran a 4.24, not a 4.44. I'd expect RG3 to run in the high 4.3 to low 4.4 range. If you watch him play, his speed will translate well enough for him to make a lot of plays with his legs.

See you not getting me then. With that speed that isn't the best thing about him. He is accurate. He has a quick release. He can throw accurately on the run. What to you that doesn't make a 1st round but makes him a 5th? I mean what don't you see. He throws a very accurate deep ball and has a arm that makes all throws. Has a quick release and is a playmaker. And he is a hardworker, smart, and natural leader that can elevate a whole team.

Well to be clear you mentioned speed as a factor in the comparison below:
So all this stuff about speed was brought up by you, I wouldn't have even mentioned it as factor.

But since you did it just so happens that Griffin is an olympic caliber sprinter.

And he doesn't have to run much lower then 4.44 to be significant just being lower/faster is enough.

And if you truely have questions about how his speed translates just youtube RGIII 2010 highlights.

In college football, how you perform against particular competition really determines the skill level of a prospect. As a QB, I find a huge indicator is if the guy A) elevates the play of his teammates and B) what kind of a team he's on.

I'd be more wary if he were on a team like an Oklahoma, Texas or USC that constantly pumps out NFL stars, but he dominated at Baylor. He gave Baylor a team that they hadn't seen in a long time, and Griffin always seemed to rise to the competition.

If Josh Johnson did this at a bigger school that faced more legit competition, he would have been drafted way higher. But he did it at the U of San Diego. Small school QBs rarely get drafted high.

---------- Post added January-16th-2012 at 10:36 AM ----------

I got a question for you then. What pick you think Barkley deserve? And if its a top ten or higher than 5th round. Why what makes him better for the NFL than Rg3?

Well I don't advocate for trading picks for anyone.

And if you don't see why he's the number #2 prospect you have to compare him to the other prospects in this draft class.

Heck compare him to Luck.

Accuracy, arm talent, mobility, playmaking, deep ball etc, efficiency/comp%, TD/INT ratio, ...

All Im saying is there are not many quarterbacks that come out like him in the same mold and would be surprised if Shanahan is sold on him half as much as everyone else on this board is. As of right now just to get him based on the chart would take the first three picks this year or two firsts and a second/third. People keep advocating we must trade up to secure our qb but arent remembering that in most cases there isnt 3-4 months of speculation and clearly multiple teams around it. If we get in a bidding war that lasts 3 months god knows what the asking price will be. Probably close to two firsts, two seconds or a scenario with three firsts. If that is what is being offered I would much rather make a play for Luck because I cant imagine it being much more

Where do people think Russell Wilson will get drafted?

Where do you rank Russell Wilson on your QB list?

How would you feel about Russell Wilson as the QB of the future?

I think he'll be a 6th/7th/UDFA. Teams will scoff at his height, which may be even shorter than it's currently listed. I would most likely pass on him as well. I see him as a great college QB that isn't starter material. I know someone will mention Drew Brees, but he's the exception, not the rule.

---------- Post added January-17th-2012 at 12:29 AM ----------

I'm liking B.J. Coleman more and more as I continue to do research. Keep your eyes open at the East-West Shrine game and Combine.

http://www.nooga.com/152989/coleman-preparing-for-his-shot-at-the-nfl/

http://www.nooga.com/151454/coleman-comes-through/

DC article

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/1/16/2712150/2012-nfl-draft-east-west-shrine-game-bj-coleman

Love his game...but his height...

And I know, it shouldn't matter. But 5'11" is awful short. I guess he has a good enough arm, he's mobile...but I don't think Shanny's going to be wild about him.

....but I don't think Shanny's going to be wild about him.
No one knows what Mike/Kyle will think of any prospect.

We all can speculate on how we think they would feel, I think he's as suited to Mike/Kyle desires for a QB as any in the draft (barring height), but our opinions on what they think is irrelevant imo.

Rather, I'm interested in where you think he'll be drafted and where he ranks on your QB list.

And how you would feel if he was drafted as a QB of the future? And why.

I would say 3/4th round.

Luck/RG3/Weeden/Tannehill/Foles/Wilson/Cousins (Edit:Forgot about Weeden)

If Shanny picked him, I'm on board.

I wish there was more accessible videos of Wilson like there is for every other QB. ESPN3 probably has a few of his games but I love the condensed videos draftbreakdown.com has. Was very impressed with his Rose Bowl performance though.

I am an NCSU alumnus and saw every snap of RWs first three years. The kid is special. Goes through his progressions, makes good reads and great decisions. Physically, yes he is short, but it never was a problem in the ACC or the Big Ten this year. He can make any throw and has great arm strength, though probably not considered Elite. Something I think is really important about him is he has excellent touch, especially the deep balls, and he has a really quick release. The quick release is something I think is crucial in the NFL. Obviously good wheels. He is also strong and compact, can take a hit and about once a game he puts a vicious stiff arm on a DL and/or LB. He also would rather stand back in the pocket and let it rip than take off running.

As a freshman he threw 17 tds and 1 int, in which he was splitting time with the incumbents the first few weeks. Sophomore year he broke the NCAA record for consecutive pass attempts without an interception. This year with Wisconsin he threw 33 tds, second highest mark in the Big Ten, behind none other than fellow shorty Drew Brees (also ran for 6 and caught 1). I think he also set some kind of NCAA efficiency record this year.

Most sites have him ranked 4th or 5th round. Honestly, I would spend a 3rd round pick on him. If he was 6'2" he would be a top 10 pick. I bet there will be some teams out there that rate him much higher than other teams, he will probably be all over the place on draft boards. If the Skins can't get RGIII, I would love to have RW.

• 3 months later...

Archived