Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I figured I'd start this thread because there are, like, six threads at the top of the forums about the quarterbacks, and I think we should consolidate all those many, many threads into one thread, so as to not clutter up the forum with a bunch of threads on what is essentially the same exact topics. If I'm out of line here, mods, feel free to close this, mock me in public, and otherwise humiliate me. Just thought it'd help to not have like all those threads about the same frakking thing.

Quarterback Big Board: (subject to change)

1.) Andrew Luck

2.) Robert Griffin III

3.) Landry Jones

4.) Ryan Tannehill

I'll fix the big board once I get the poll up and running, or if I see people leaning towards one prospect or another...

Note 1: When I made the poll, I forgot to add guys like Kirk Cousins, Kellen Moore and the like to the board. Feel free to add them to the discussion as you see fit, I'll try and keep track of the votes for those guys.

how is this any different than the comprehensive draft database? THAT is the primo thread for QB prospect discussion...

The draft database is about ALL prospects. This is just about the quarterbacks. There's like 7 threads just about the quarterbacks. I thought it would help just to have one.

Okay, I want to know why anybody would pick Barkley over Griffin??

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 07:43 PM ----------

The draft database is about ALL prospects. This is just about the quarterbacks. There's like 7 threads just about the quarterbacks. I thought it would help just to have one.

That comprehensive database gets really congested IMO with everybody talking all over the place. I think this was a good idea.

More traditional pocket passer, pretty much. I can see the viewpoint even though I don't agree. Griffin is fantastic.

I understand people like a more "traditional pocket passer", but when Griffin can throw better than that "more traditional pocket passer" it makes no sense to me.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 07:53 PM ----------

Anyone have any cut-ups of Griffin? He never seems to be on TV in NOVA. I keep hearing this was a nationally televised game, but in my area ORE v USC was the game on ABC, and I only got to see highlights of RG3.

Norfolk?? Man they showed the end of the game after USC-Oregon went off. Even in that little bit you could see how good Griffin was. He led his team on a game-winning touchdown drive. On the last play, he moved out of the pocket beautifully and hit his WR on like a 40 harder in the back corner of the end zone. I was like WOW! I will pissed if the redskins don't get this guy!

One thing that Griffin is always going to get knocked on is being an "Athlete quarterback". Despite all evidence to the contrary, he's always going to be compared to Vick, VY and Donovan McNabb, even though his numbers will far exceed any of their numbers before the end of the season.

Griffin's passing numbers fall much more in line with traditional quarterbacks than they do any "athlete quarterbacks". His stats will look more like Peyton Manning's by the time he comes out than they will any of those guys. Part of that is because he plays in the spread, but even so.

Except for called runs, you'll rarely see him bail out of the pocket, and even when he does, he's always looking to throw.

(And just for the hell of it, here's Ryan Tannehill's tape from the same game.)

I chose Griffin III. I think he's got the highest ceiling of all the QB's, even Luck. I also love how he keeps his eyes downfield when extending the play so well.

Not listed on here, but another guy I like is Michigan State's Kirk Cousins. Physically he's not an elite talent, but he seems like a smart kid and plays in an offense that looks similar to a pro-style offense. If we could pick up another pick I think he'd be a nice guy to groom and could be a really good backup.

Strictly by the numbers:

Barkley has played 4 top 30 defenses (Cal, Stanford, Notre Dame, Utah), two of which were on the road and didn't face any Division-II teams.

RGIII has played just 1 defense in the Top 50 (TCU at 47), and his only road win was against Kansas (ranked dead last as the worst defense in the country). The average defense he faces is ranked 87th and that doesn't even take into consideration a game against a Division 2 opponent.

Though they are both talented QBs, they are playing very different levels of defense this year.

*Cue fanboys*

Strictly by the numbers:

Barkley has played 4 top 30 defenses (Cal, Stanford, Notre Dame, Utah), two of which were on the road and didn't face any Division-II teams.

RGIII has played just 1 defense in the Top 50 (TCU at 47), and his only road win was against Kansas (ranked dead last as the worst defense in the country). The average defense he faces is ranked 87th and that doesn't even take into consideration a game against a Division 2 opponent.

Though they are both talented QBs, they are playing very different levels of defense this year.

*Cue fanboys*

Yeah and Barkley have way better talent around him. There's no way RG3 should have better stats than him, but he does.

Griffin reminds me of a slightly better version of Jason "soup" Campbell.

Would prefer getting Matt Barkley. He is big, strong, has an accurate arm, and can move in the pocket. He has played some tough defenses, and done very well.

Griffin is a round 2 pick. And, instead would prefer Tennenhill.

If Danny o'Brien enters the draft would get him in a late round,

Strictly by the numbers:

You play who they schedule. Baylor is Baylor. He just finished being THE MAN against a top 5 perennial powerhouse and outperformed (in every way possible) not only a rival QB but a guy who is going head-to-head against him in the NFL Draft.

Who cares what defenses Barkley faces when he plays on a team that from true fresh to 5th year senior will send probably at least 40 players to the NFL. That kind of neutralizes that, don't you think?

Also, Griffin's arm, mobility AND deep ball are vastly superior, it's not even remotely a contest. I don't want any more QBs who can't connect deep.

Yeah and Barkley have way better talent around him. There's no way RG3 should have better stats than him, but he does.

So Tevin Reese and Kendall Wright are merely the beneficiaries of great QB play but the USC receivers are not? It cuts both ways. Terrance Ganaway is also putting up better numbers than any of the USC RBs. I think they both have talent around them, they happen to make that talent even better.

I put Griffin. I agree that he probably has the highest ceiling, but he's also incredibly talented, so I can't see him falling flat on his face either. Barkley would be great if we had a monster O-line and WR corp. Problem is, our O-line is suspect when healthy and terrible when not, and while I like our WRs, there are some question marks among the young guys, of which we have a lot.

RGIII might be more in the vein of Newton. Good throwing, good running, etc.

Finally, if he keeps flying under the radar we might be able to trade down a few spots and take him around the 10 spot (securing ourselves a 2nd 2nd rounder).

You play who they schedule. Baylor is Baylor. He just finished being THE MAN against a top 5 perennial powerhouse and outperformed (in every way possible) not only a rival QB but a guy who is going head-to-head against him in the NFL Draft.

Who cares what defenses Barkley faces when he plays on a team that from true fresh to 5th year senior will send probably at least 40 players to the NFL. That kind of neutralizes that, don't you think?

Also, Griffin's arm, mobility AND deep ball are vastly superior, it's not even remotely a contest. I don't want any more QBs who can't connect deep.

I'm only pointing out that they play different levels of competition, and they put up pretty similar numbers. That's all. I'll exit stage left, some of the mancrushing on RGIII gets way too personal. Calm down guys, they're both great QBs and I'll be equally happy with either come April. I mean that.

Archived