Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For whatever reason why I would like Luck over RG3 in the LIMITED GAMES I SAW (emphasized to make sure everyone knows I'm not an expert), Luck seemed to have more pocket poise and inspired more confidence in me that he could do the same thing over and over. RG3 made plays that were amazing, but for some reason they didn't inspire confidence in me... I'd be ecstatic with both, but that/'s just my point of view

I agree. I dont feel very comfortable with running QB's. I see that he's good in the pocket, but I wonder how much is his running abilities cover up pocket presence.

I'm to cheap to pony up for insider.

Could you do a solid and post the article?

1. Andrew Luck

I'll spare you another round of superlatives. You saw again in his final college game what makes Luck so special. Against a talented team that had a month to prepare, and with a lack of major weapons in the passing game, Luck carved up Oklahoma State and completed nearly 90 percent of his passes. He has it all -- smarts, arm strength, poise, pocket awareness, an ability to throw on the move to either side, and a preternatural sense of how to move defenders with his eyes. He can call the plays, and check down when the play isn't there. He's the best quarterback prospect since John Elway. Sorry, I didn't exactly spare you.

Grade: High 1st

2. Robert Griffin III

No quarterback is riding a better wave of momentum, and I fully expect that a team could be willing to move up to as high as No. 2 in the draft to get him. Great arm strength, exceptional athleticism, improved and now elite accuracy on the deep ball, and a ton of experience make Griffin a very appealing prospect. I think he'll particularly shine when teams get to talk to this young man, because he's got the intangibles, the personality and is a proven leader.

Grade: High 1st

3. Nick Foles

He may have lost a little shine this season because of the way the Wildcats performed as a team, but Foles is a really solid developmental prospect. He's a big kid, at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, is accurate, moves and throws well to both his right and his left, and has solid mechanics. Questions for Foles start with decision-making, but I think he may have tried to force his throws too often as the team struggled, and the numbers tell some of that story. But you can draft Foles in the late first or early second round and develop him.

Grade: Late 1st to mid-2nd

4. Ryan Tannehill

He's a really intelligent player, with a strong arm. He displays a good grasp of the offense and has come a long way in a short time -- you're talking about a former wide receiver -- and was able to put up good numbers. Tannehill is a guy with more upside than polish, and part of that stems from the fact that I have him at just 19 starts after the bowl game. He had a really rough game against Texas, which looked worse when Griffin went out and lit up the Longhorns soon after, but all in all, I still saw this as a solid growth season. Again, he's not a player a competitive NFL team wants starting games in 2012, but there are skills to work with.

Grade: Early to late 2nd

5. Brandon Weeden

Hey, you subtract one key number, and Weeden jumps up this list. He has a big-time arm, is accurate, plays with poise and can beat you over the top. The bottom line is if you think this is a guy you want to draft and develop for a year, he might not make his first NFL start until he's 30 years old. Let's face it, that's a number nobody will overlook. It says a lot for Weeden's ability that he's in the position to be drafted at all.

Grade: Late 2nd to middle rounds

The question mark

Tyler Wilson, were he to enter the draft, would be at No. 3 on this list for me. This is a kid who just shows great toughness and the ability to be accurate while extending plays and taking hits. He worked behind a subpar offensive line this season, but is willing to look down the barrel and make throws. He slides well to his left or right, has above-average accuracy, and has a good sense of how to calibrate his throws, not overcooking underneath throws, and putting the necessary pace on the ball when he wants to push it down the field. Let's be clear that there's no guarantee at all that Wilson would land in Round 1 were he to stay in the draft. But he does have that kind of potential.

Other quarterbacks you'll see in the mix are Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley and BJ Coleman. And there'll be many evaluations and possible shifts to come.

I wonder if Tannehill will fall to our pick in the 2nd? If we could get him in the 2nd and Wheeden in the 4th, then we could start Wheeden now and hide Tannehil on the bench for a few years. I could get excited for that QB rotation! I don't think I would use an early 3rd of Wheeden though so he would have to last until late 3rd-early 4th to be worth the gamble on his age. I like his professional baseball experience and the chance that this would give him the poise to start immediately.

Maybe it was just a bad game, but wasn't impressed with Nick Foles at all. He made it very difficult on his receivers - all of his passes were either too far behind or too far in front of his receivers. He seemed to really struggle with ball placement. His accuracy needs a lot of work - even on short and intermediate routes.

I was more impressed with Keenum.

Maybe it was just a bad game, but wasn't impressed with Nick Foles at all. He made it very difficult on his receivers - all of his passes were either too far behind or too far in front of his receivers. He seemed to really struggle with ball placement. His accuracy needs a lot of work - even on short and intermediate routes.

I was more impressed with Keenum.

same here. foles' delivery reminds me of jason campbell. kind of a slo-mo wind up that seems to take a bit too long for the ball to come out.

Charlie Casserly just reported Cleveland interested in Bronco Offensive coordinatoor Mike McCoy, this would be huge in terms of RG3 they want that option Offense in Cle. could mean they want RG3...

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as Pat Shumer and Mike Holmgren are both based in the West Coast Offense. The basis in the West Coast Offense was the whole reason Shumer was hired.

My thinking is that if RGIII is taken in the draft ahead of us, we will trade down and aquire a vet QB (i.e. Joe Webb or someone) and then draft another QB in the 2nd round maybe Tannehill. Who knows a long ways from now. I could easily see us using a lower first round draft pick on a WR.

If we don't move up to get RGIII (I hope we do but I don't want us selling the farm to do so) I think we draft the top WR or OL and hope to get a QB in the 2nd.

I was so excited about this draft when Luck, RGIII, Barkley, and Jones were all in it. But with only the top two in it now my excitement balloon has been deflated because I think to get either of them will cost us too much and I am not sold on counting a 2nd round QB.

I'm keeping fingers crossed it works out.

If we don't move up to get RGIII (I hope we do but I don't want us selling the farm to do so) I think we draft the top WR or OL and hope to get a QB in the 2nd.

I was so excited about this draft when Luck, RGIII, Barkley, and Jones were all in it. But with only the top two in it now my excitement balloon has been deflated because I think to get either of them will cost us too much and I am not sold on counting a 2nd round QB.

I'm keeping fingers crossed it works out.

Pretty sure the top OL and the top WR will be gone by the 6th pick. I don't see them making it past the Rams, Vikings, and Browns.

My thinking is that if RGIII is taken in the draft ahead of us, we will trade down and aquire a vet QB (i.e. Joe Webb or someone) and then draft another QB in the 2nd round maybe Tannehill. Who knows a long ways from now. I could easily see us using a lower first round draft pick on a WR.

I'd be comfortable betting a small portion of money that Tannehill gets taken in the 1st round. Luckily for my poor college self, I don't know anybody in real life who would make such a specific bet like this with me. :ols:

Dont forget free agency is before the draft. We need a free agent vet whatever we do in the draft IMO and you cant wait until after the draft to sign one as there will be slim pickings left.

I'd be comfortable betting a small portion of money that Tannehill gets taken in the 1st round. Luckily for my poor college self, I don't know anybody in real life who would make such a specific bet like this with me. :ols:

I think he'll go first round too now that Barkley and Jones are out. I'm wondering what Shanahan would do if Luck and RG3 are off the boards and he actually likes Tannehill? Would he go ahead and make a big reach at #6 to make sure he gets his guy or would he try trading down a few spots to get an extra pick and hope he's still there?

The success of the spread option concepts by Tebow and Cam this year are surely gonna shine a more favorable light on RG3, who is far and away the best passer of the three.

I think its fair to say that as a prospect, he seems to be the best passer of the three, if you're judging by how they were ALL seen as prospects. Cam, though, has proven to have an incredible arm, although a bit inconsistent as a rookie in the NFL. But he can hit throws that only a few other QB's in the league, if that, can dream of attempting.

I think its fair to say that as a prospect, he seems to be the best passer of the three, if you're judging by how they were ALL seen as prospects. Cam, though, has proven to have an incredible arm, although a bit inconsistent as a rookie in the NFL. But he can hit throws that only a few other QB's in the league, if that, can dream of attempting.

Nah, I think Griffin is a better passer that Cam is now. His ball placement is better and you don't see Griff sail his passes high on the outs. I don't think there's any pass that Cam can make that Griff couldn't.

Nah, I think Griffin is a better passer that Cam is now. His ball placement is better and you don't see Griff sail his passes high on the outs. I don't think there's any pass that Cam can make that Griff couldn't.

There certainly are, and if you don't believe that, I can only assume that you haven't seen as much of Cam this season as I have. Cam completed passes this season that the large majority of the league has no chance of completing. As I said, he's inconsistent on some of his throws. But he's capable of making throws that are impossible for most QB's, including Griffin, from what we have seen so far. Its possible he could show a similar ability in the NFL, but we won't know until then.

The success of the spread option concepts by Tebow and Cam this year are surely gonna shine a more favorable light on RG3, who is far and away the best passer of the three.
I was gonna say the something similar about the benefit Tebow/Cam success will help RGIII.

But I don't see how RGIII is a better passer then Cam, much less far and away better.

Archived