Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is I will wholeheartedly agree with.

---------- Post added December-21st-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

You've got believe that the winning the Heismann Trophy sealed the debate of who was better between Luck and Griffin.

I like them both because of their humbleness. They both would rather put their teams at the forefront before daring to boast about themselves. Aside from their physical attributes, what stands out the most is their unselfishness.

You wonder why RG3 is number one and Luck is number 2 (or however the rankings have them listed), there is your answer.

Add this to the awards:

Baylor QB Robert Griffin III wins AP college football player of the year

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/baylor-qb-robert-griffin-iii-wins-ap-college-football-player-of-the-year/2011/12/21/gIQAVRFn9O_story.html

You've got believe that the winning the Heismann Trophy sealed the debate of who was better between Luck and Griffin.

So does that mean Cam Newton is also a better QB than Luck? Or that Tebow is better than Matt Ryan? Or that Chris Weinke was better than Drew Brees?

Don't get me wrong, I love Griffin and in a lot of ways, I'd prefer him to Luck. I'd be thrilled with either. That being said, let's not act as if the Heisman trophy determines ANYTHING regarding NFL success/potential.

For what it's worth, McShay did a mock draft today and had RGIII falling to us at number 7. It looked reasonable to me. It sounded reasonable to him too obviously.

It is reasonable right now - I think though that when Griffin does his workouts and teams see his measurables and potential up close and personal he is going to rise. I can't see him dropping out of the top 3 picks personally.

It is reasonable right now - I think though that when Griffin does his workouts and teams see his measurables and potential up close and personal he is going to rise. I can't see him dropping out of the top 3 picks personally.

I think that's partly because you and most Redskins fans are DESPERATE for a QB. The advantage we have right now is a whole lot of bad teams got their qb either last year or the year before. 4 QB's were taken in the first last year. Those teams most likely are out of the running. Only two were chosen in 2010, but still (esp. if you add Dalton) that's more than a fifth of the league that shouldn't take a qb because they've already tossed the dice. Then, you add in teams that have established qbs, teams that are run by defensive minded coaches, etc. and I think we're fine.

In any case, we'll have to see how the rest of the year pans out and which teams are indeed starving for a qb, because the scenario most are worried about is not only that teams are hungry, but they're so hungry they'll sacrifice most of their draft to leap ahead of us. It's one thing to want a guy, it's another thing to mortgage the house to get him.

So does that mean Cam Newton is also a better QB than Luck? Or that Tebow is better than Matt Ryan? Or that Chris Weinke was better than Drew Brees?

Don't get me wrong, I love Griffin and in a lot of ways, I'd prefer him to Luck. I'd be thrilled with either. That being said, let's not act as if the Heisman trophy determines ANYTHING regarding NFL success/potential.

Cam Newton might be better than Luck when it's all said and done. Tebow might be better than Ryan - if he ever figures out the fundamentals of being a QB, he wil be a McNabb-type player at worst.

Whatever happened to the mobility Rex had in college. I know he had the knee injury etc, but looking at his college highlights, he looks like the prototypical Shanahan QB with the ability to bookleg and move in the pocket. Take a look at this clip.

Any chance he shed some weight in the offseason, come back in shape and regain some of this mobility?

Here's a tidbit from LL just tweeted....

@LL56xtremeskins

LL

so officially back to 1.Rg3 2. luck 3.Tannehill

Which basically mean to me, that you mortgage our draft, to some degree for RGIII at the #2 spot if the Colts lose, which is more than likley, but who knows?

Which basically mean to me, that you mortgage our draft, to some degree for RGIII at the #2 spot if the Colts lose, which is more than likley, but who knows?

I think we will look to be agressive and trade up if we need to but staying put or even trading down a few spots and taking Tannehill is not a bad plan B if we can't swing a trade up. If we are trading up the Rams are the likely dance partner.

• 2 weeks later...
Fiesta Bowl time. The last time we see Andrew Luck in college

Is his next start going to be in burgandy and gold ?

I'd love to see it but I don't see how it happens. With the Polians being fired, it seems the Colts are even MORE likely to go in a new direction with Luck.

Fiesta Bowl time. The last time we see Andrew Luck in college

Is his next start going to be in burgandy and gold ?

I'd love to see it but I don't see how it happens. With the Polians being fired, it seems the Colts are even MORE likely to go in a new direction with Luck.

I haven't seen any other games, but I'm impressed by Tannehill. I would not be adverse to taking him if Shanahan thought he could so something with him.

...based on this footage.

Tannehill has a lot of raw talent and will need time to develop. If we do take him we need to find a good Vet QB that Tannehill can learn from. Can you picture Rex (The Turnover Machine) grooming Tannehill:yikes:

I have to give some love out to Case Keenum shredding the Penn ST. defense today. He might not be a bad pickup in the 4th or 5th round to add some depth to the QB position.

This will be only my second post in this thread. I am only concerned with the guys who will be taken in the first round. Its a shame for the Skins that Barkley decided to go back to school; not because I wanted him for the Redskins, but because Shanahan needs all the first round prospects in this draft he can get. I thought there was a pretty good chance Barkley would go back to school with USC coming off probation next season and the strength of that team possibly pushing him into the top 3 picks of the 2013 draft.

All that being said, after seeing Luck, Griffin, and Tannehill I have some distinct impressions that have been confirmed by voices that I trust in the last 53 pages.

First off, my rankings are such:

1. Luck

2. Griffin

3. Tannehill

As of right now, I dont see any other quarterbacks worthy of a first round pick. There are also a couple prospects that I would be interested in for the Skins if somehow (god I hope not) they miss out on these three guys.

1. Luck

Andrew Luck has earned the top pick in the 2012 draft. If there is such a thing as a "pro-ready" quarterback, he is it. This definition is misleading though. Cam Newton was apparently "pro-ready" but I can probably count on two hands the number of people I heard strongly suggest that. Ditto for Andy Dalton (although for different reasons). Back to Luck, he has shown the ability to properly put his offense in the proper play. He reads coverages well at the college level and delivers an accurate and catchable football to his receivers however, my perception is that much of these skills can be attributed to the coaching he received from Jim Harbaugh (who has done a pretty nice job with Alex Smith). Luck also has prototypical size for an NFL quarterback and pairs this with above average mobility both in and out of the pocket. I dont think he excels in his arm strength outside the hash marks, Phil Simms is valid in that criticism. Aside from that though, I think he can be very effective running the boot game. Any NFL quarterback would be lucky to have him leading their team.

2. Griffin

Robert Griffin is certainly the most intriguing prospect in the entire draft. His blend of athleticism and arm talent is second to none. To put it out there right away, the only reason I have him rated lower than Luck is because I dont feel right listing them as 1a and 1b. I would be ecstatic to see either one on the Redskins roster. Where Griffin does not equal Luck is in his understanding of pre-snap reads and manipulating coverages, but I dont put this on him as much as on Briles' system at Baylor. Furthermore, I just dont see him standing in the pocket and moving through progressions like NFL quarterbacks have to do the majority of the time to keep defenses honest. Having said that, I think Griffin's ceiling is higher than any quarterback I have seen. His combination of ability, work ethic, and articulation is ideal for an NFL quarterback. Although his footwork often seems substandard, I see a lot of this as the result of poor offensive line play and cluttered pockets. Even taking that into consideration though, he makes throws from all arm angles and set positions that many quarterbacks can only make when everything is perfect.

3. Tannehill

Ryan Tannehill should only be a fallback option for the Redskins if they cannot somehow move up for Luck or RG3. As such, my analysis of him is short and sweet: he has good size, moves well outside the pocket, throws a catchable ball, is innacurate when hurried, and needs time to develop as an NFL quarterback. I still think he will go in the 10-20 range this April. And he has a smoking hot girlfiend.

Despite my rankings, my preference is for the Redskins to draft Robert Griffin III. My main reason for this is that our offense lacks speed and playmakers. While Luck would be a better fit for an offense with two or more really good wide recievers (like the Colts for instance), the Redskins need Griffin to put that extra pressure on defenses with his athletic ability. He can immediately change the dynamic of the team. Furthermore, I trust Mike Shanahan's offense to maximize Griffin's strengths. Contrarily, if I was a Colts fan, I dont know if I would trust their staff to maximize his ability moreso than Luck could step in and make their more traditional offense run smoothly.

As stated before though, I would be extremely pleased to see either one of these two in B&G next season, no doubt about that.

There's my .$0.02, take it or leave it.

Archived