Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

And this is an enemy they have never faced before. You fight them differently. You need to aim for the head. World War Z touched on this at the battle of Yonkers. Their conventional military tactics eventually lead to their downfall. Shelling bodies wastes ammo. The key was fighting in a squared formation with alternating shooters. Think Civil War...

the thing that has always bothered me about this series. They kill the zombies with relative ease, makes me wonder how the zombies defeated out military and cops

I don't remember the exact story that was given in season one but it looked like this to me:

- Plague hits humanity (not zombies)

- Plague infects most people including those in government and law enforcement.

- As the number of doctors dwindle hospitals start to fail and resources have to be pooled.

- Society starts to fall as essential services start to break down because there just aren't enough professionals healthy enough to keep the power running and the truck/trains rolling.

- Military and police, already weakened by illness, have to stop rioting as best they can.

That's when the bodies that are already virtually everywhere get up and start eating people. The initial panic combined with the plague that is still active encourages humanity to scatter. Safety is no longer found in numbers because one person could be sick and kill everyone by coughing, or they could die in get up again. Scattered and desperate people are now dangerous to eachother and the zombie hordes are marauding around in waves destroying any small groups caught in their path.

Also you have to think about where do people who are bitten or develop the high fever as they are dying are taken. They are taken to the hospital. I can see a scenario where the "first generation" of zombies wiped out a good amount of the medical community. Imagine, so you're caring for one of these feverish people and they die. So you turn your back on them, leave the room and come back and they are up and about ready to feast on you.

wow. the last couple days have seen such a rejuvenation of good discussion and some great ideas from a number of folks. big smile. i echo the sentiment of it getting closer to where there should be some sort of long-term settling down in the closest thing to security (an argument can still be well made for the prison) and beginning to explore further away for what is going on elsewhere and start to think of rebuilding society...

btw, i'm glad no one else seems to have read reic's one-sentence spoiler bombs.

again, keeping in mind that the setting here (going by dialogue to date) and how it relates to so many "why don't/didn't they..." topics----whether about Rick's group, any group, or people/populations/institutions in general---that this plague seems to occur (like the first and some other zombie movies) within a backdrop absent of previous decades of zombie pop-culture in media....

...so imagine this horrific event taking place where your only previous connection to zombies, per se, was voo-dooo stuff or really old horror movies :ols:...consider the level of shock, disorientation, and other mind-scrambling impact that, logically, would seem even far more traumatic than a nuclear exchange--a great fear for many for years but one which we all have some mental practice internalizing/contemplating ...and imagine even as terrible as it would be, the diff in what this z-plague would be like...

...normal levels of discipline even among the best trained would be stretched far beyond anything previous...at some point where things are obviously falling apart (fast and in the most devastating fashion), fear for what was happening to your own family must have caused mass desertion from what organized forces still existed...I'd expect even way more than any "typical" highly effective enemy invasion of our homeland (which in and of itself I think would cause more desertions to find family than we think)...

really, try to envision all of us having never been fed any of our "normal" zombie stories and we experience this sort of mind-numbing nightmare caused by who knows what (viral?/mutation?/alien spore?)...hell...imagine the reactions of many among the religious groups in our culture..."breakdown of society" wouldn't begin to describe it...

...you see people you know ****ing eating each other in gory frenzy...and not dying (getting back up/continuing to come at you) when you shoot them or stab them (if you weren't lucky or smart enough to go right for the head shots)...you see your closest loved ones fall to these actions and do it themselves after rising...just ponder it and wonder how "together, logical, well-thought, and reasonable" all your plans/actions/reactions/moves would be...

...i do cut a lot of slack for Rick and Herschel (for the zombie barn) who have taken on unbelievable added pressures of being responsible for leading a group of survivors in such a surreal nightmare... knowing people, i expect there are many governor types out there (in varying degree of vile/crazy)...

Great post, Jumbo.

I just can't imagine what direction they'll take the Governor from this point. He has two followers, one of which didn't seem that interested in being with him (the Latino looking man).

Let's look at what the Governor knows and has:

-2 followers --who are most likely with him for loyalty/security reasons. I don't see why they'd continue to invest in him unless the Gov has a great plan in mind and is regrouping.

-knowledge of the ammo depot that Morgan has hoarded.

-That Rick and co are small in number but very smart and effective in combat.

-That Woodbury is nothing but women and children now. (unless he knows they went to Rick and co. which is likely.)

-no doubt that Andrea fed him a lot of intel about their trek from Atlanta. I'm sure Merle told him plenty of info that backed it up.

I wonder about the weapons that were at Woodbury. They were collecting them in anticipation of the War a few episodes ago. I doubt they brought all of em when they stormed the prison.

I think we'll see the Governor pick back up as the antagonist in Season 4. Or perhaps they'll treat his character like Merle and bring back at the end of S4 or beginning of S5. End of S4 is more likely. I can't see the producers dragging that Rick vs the Gov storyline out too much. It's not worth milking for another whole season b/c frankly, I'll lose interest if they don't frame it well. It's like, "I'm gonna go find Sophia." which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, although the payoff was perfect. I didn't see it coming.

jumbo, i read reic's post but i thought it was a joke. was that a real spoiler?

It was more than one spoiler, and a quick glance found them believable enough...but I, of course, immediately hoped that it was just a gag (even if poorly chosen), since I couldn't believe he'd do such for real---and I clicked on the link against my wishes (since it meant risking further ruining of stuff for me that I sure didn't need) and it seemed legit in a quick scan, but I quit reading asap for obvious reasons...

...anyway, I logically figured since this is a guy who's not supposed to be stupid (he is doing grad school) despite his share of "questionable" posting over the years :) that I would hear from him via e-mail if it was a joke and I could undo it...there would be no reason he wouldn't let one of us know with something like "hey, goofy, I was joking, reinstate me please"---i'd still tell him it's a silly thing to do for just the reason that what happened, happened (not only because it could also be a legitimate trolling violation in such circumstance), but there'd be no issue on my end.

but we haven't heard a peep---other than apparently some well-known banned-from- ES igwads in their little echo-chamber talking about it on facebook (including one idjit who recently wrote me a "heartfelt" please-take-me-back-i-am-no-longer-a-lush-and-have-matured" missive I forwarded to staff, and who, before getting a reply from us (no one wants him back--the popular quote was "remember leopards don't change spots",) he went right for participation again in that latest mini-circle-jerk-off...man, the commitment some folks have to having no life and repeated dumbassery is stunning (but I digress :pfft::ols:)

personally, I still hope to hear from him (reic)...at least a couple of we mods are still hoping he really wasn't just that big a dumbass (as much as it pissed me off "personally" to read the spoilers---if they were)...the length of ban was fitting, but even if it was for real, i would reduce it if he'd contact us in appropriate manner (which is more our norm than not with most long bans).

Can the zombies swim? 'cause I'd be thinking about my own sustainable island society. I'm scanning a map now for candidate locations.

Or I'd fix the damn hole in the prison wall/clear out the compound again and get some fruit and vegetable gardens going. How about getting some sofas and interior decor for inside the prison cells. The Walking Dead - Prison Makeover would be a compelling series.

Such are the thoughts of a middle-aged homeowner when considering the zombie apocalypse. Cause I've been through teenage parenting and during the middle-school and high-school years I've seen horrors worse than a plague of flesh eating zombies. It's about moving past contemplation of the terrible to acceptance, and making yourself comfortable.

papers_facilitation_fig01.gif

One thing that popped into my head last night was the helicopter in the 3rd episode. All the crew were killed but I feel like there was going to be some kind of story develop, unless I missed a line of dialog that explained it. Where did they come from? Where were they going? Are there others like them? Seemed like a pretty big development to go unanswered like that.

man I'm really pissed at reic now. i only remember one major spoiler but damn that's a dick move if that was for real

anyways, i don't believe zombies can swim so a island may be a good choice for a safe haven. it would have to be an island not too far from the mainland though so you could go back for supplies from time to time

Can the zombies swim? ]

I don't think it's been addressed in this series. All the stuff I've read is they don't swim they just walk underwater. WWZ actually had diver kill teams that went in the water to kill them. Apparently one of the most scary and hazardous duties.

I don;t know how they'd play it, Corc, but in some z movies the z's (who i don't think have normal respiratory functions?--not sure how the "undead' biology works there, and from movie to movie) at some point went walking into bodies of water and just walked along the bottom (without weight would be tricky or a "plot fail") and then came ashore or even climbed anchor lines. so who knows how a given show will handle that. islands (even steep hillsides) certainly seem a strategic geographical choice if there are adequate defensive structures available there too. it would at least seem to logically reduce the numbers associated with incursions even if the z's are ones that can do the aquaman shtick.

I don;t know how they'd play it, Corc, but in some z movies the z's (who i don't think have normal respiratory functions?--not sure how the "undead' biology works there, and from movie to movie) at some point went walking into bodies of water and just walked along the bottom (without weight would be tricky or a "plot fail") and then came ashore or even climbed anchor lines. so who knows how a given show will handle that. islands (even steep hillsides) certainly seem a strategic geographical choice if there are adequate defensive structures available there too. it would at least seem to logically reduce the numbers associated with incursions even if the z's are ones that can do the aquaman shtick.

Islands are great as long as you know that everyone turns when they die, so you are never completely isolated from the zombie-ness, even if they can't get through the water.

Edit: Zombies could walk through water with no problem in Land of the Dead and World War Z (that scene from the book was creepy)

For runners ... http://www.vampire5k.com/

Vampires rather than zombies, but you get to choose which side you run on.

You never know who you are surrounded by.

It could be your neighbor, your coworker, even your best friend at school.

Vampires have seamlessly melted into modern day society and have lived side by side regular citizens for hundreds of years now.

But all that changes on 4.26.13.

This is the night primal instincts go unchecked. Blood thirsty vampires will give chase to transform citizens to increase their numbers and strength, while citizens will run to protect their mortality.

The hunt begins when the sun sets.

More info…..

Vampire 5k is an one-of-a-kind event that pits Citizens versus Vampires in a race for survival.

Here’s how it works:

Vampires dressed in all black and Citizens in white start the run in totally different areas, converging at an undisclosed distance. Run starts at dusk and ends under THE FULL MOON!

The hunt is on. Vampires try to convert Citizens by pulling their garlic flags—all while going through fog and “red powder zones” . Citizens try to escape with their mortality intact.

Gotta celebrate at the after party.

Land of the Dead was my first sighting of it (z's & water sports), ren.

I'm not sure if I remember another show other than WD where the virus turns you when you die no matter how you die, but I think I do. :pfft:

LOtD was fun--they also had the first zombie that showed thinking and leadership. :geek:

Such are the thoughts of a middle-aged homeowner when considering the zombie apocalypse. Cause I've been through teenage parenting and during the middle-school and high-school years I've seen horrors worse than a plague of flesh eating zombies.

One of the great comments in this thread so far :ols:

so those spoilers weren't for real?

Well, it seems they were, but to him he didn't see them as spoilers and meant no harm--he felt they were "likely" or easily figured out. I told him others didn't agree, and not to repeat the info. His tone in making his case was such that I thought full suspension of the ban was proper.

Hey can I get your email?

I thought the post was a joke as well.

It wasn't a joke. And it didn't read like one, nor did the link. :)

The staff e-mail is accessed by clicking on the "contact us" link at the bottom of every page on the site.

Interestingly, we have had people who have been here for years (and obviously on the internet awhile) who said they didn't know how to contact us after a ban and apparently never thought to look at the bottom of a page for a "contact us" link (a rather common feature :)). We also tend to wonder "how did you contact us to register an account before you were a member?" :pfft: :evilg: :D

One thing that popped into my head last night was the helicopter in the 3rd episode. All the crew were killed but I feel like there was going to be some kind of story develop, unless I missed a line of dialog that explained it. Where did they come from? Where were they going? Are there others like them? Seemed like a pretty big development to go unanswered like that.

they came from the military group the Gov ambushed and were scouting for that group with the copter trucked on the flatbed.

In the gov's speech afterward he explained their original military compound was overrun because they opened the gates.....I think:silly:

Archived