Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

I disagree on Rooker from Talking Dead. I did think it was a little weird to see how he was dressed, just in comparison to Merle...lol.

But, he gave some pretty insightful answers about Merle, after joking around.

I was watching a few episodes from season 1 last night too - there did seem to be some continuity issues with the zombies compared to now. I suppose that's to be expected as the series progresses. For instance:

- In the opening scene, the little girl zombie bends over and picks up her teddy bear.

- Multiple walkers in Atlanta pick up stones and bricks to break the glass on the dept. store door

- A few walkers attempt to climb the fence to reach Rick and Glenn after their disguised escape.

Everything we know now about the walkers contradicts the instances above. How would the little girl have the wherewithal to know what her teddy bear was? How did the walkers think to smash the glass with a brick?

I'm reaching here...but did anybody else notice how rotten Merle's face looked one he turned? Merle had been dead maybe 10-15 minutes by the time Daryl got to him, and yet his face looked somewhat decomposed. Now he wasn't a walking tub of goo like some walkers, but Merle definitely looked like he'd been dead longer than 15 minutes.

Maybe they just went overboard with the makeup to ramp up the intensity of the scene?

zombie-merle.jpg

I was watching a few episodes from season 1 last night too - there did seem to be some continuity issues with the zombies compared to now. I suppose that's to be expected as the series progresses.

maybe degradation from time, or perhaps a urban vs rural bias by the writers.

maybe it is like muscle memory and fades w/o use

On a number of matters mentioned, and considering some remarks made by characters during the series, one might safely suggest that not all z's are created equal any more than any other species (if one cares to think of them that way, as I do). Different speeds of movement (beyond the state of their physical nature when transitioning, though that can often be in play), rates of change, and numerous other characteristics are either openly noted by characters or plainly observable at times. I don't think they (or at least the large majority of them) are explained by a careless lack of continuity in editing.

I also remember Morgan saying something in S1 E1 when he was checking Rick for fever. Said when it hits, the skin is extremely hot. I'm sure once the turn happens, effects like these and necrosis take effect on those that turn.

Even Andrea's sister, although it was more than an hour or two, looked pretty ragged by the time she turned.

The thing that gets me is that David Morrissey (the Gov) and Andrew Lincoln (Rick) are so distinctly Brit in their speech during interviews, but they've both got such control of their voices that you'd never know it from the show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXm8pgkEP-ucc7RkuE2HaiCGU69WHACzsu0PT3sxdf5lNNkesBpg

I mean yes, the voice work that actors do can be impressive, and it is sometimes a little surprising when you hear their regular speaking voice, but any actor worth their salt can do that. There are plenty of brits who play convincing American characters like Hugh Laurie, Damian Lewis or Christian Bale (who has a thick blue collar welsh accent) and vice versa.

I'm really curious as to where the show is going to go after this season. Part of me hopes they will continue to go on the run, hoping to find a semblance of refuge, solace, etc, looking for the cure or any trace of government left. But I'm thinking that's not really the endgame here. Zombies are now a background piece in this series - the fear that zombies were able to exude from the main characters was what was driving the show. Now, they seem to be nothing more than pests.

Any theories? (Not in relation or pertaining to the comics, which I haven't read?)

I'm watching an episode of season 1 right now. Those walkers seemed a bit harder to kill in season 1.

I think that is because they were fresher, whereas most of the zombies they encounter now look pretty decomposed.

Merle looked ragged and weak though, despite being a fresh zombie. I think in his case it's that humans who are killed are weaker zombies because they were killed, whereas those who are bitten and turn quickly are stronger. So if you get a small bite and fever sets in and it takes a while, the fever weakened you over that time span. If you get bit hard or a bunch and turn quickly, then your body still has strength in it. Just my theory.

That and those doing the killing have been doing it for a bit now and are pretty good at it.

The zombies are easier to kill because they are better at it... And lazy writing. You can squash under your boot with little effort now. That's ok though because zombie stories tend to go from zombies as the danger to humans. Zombies are a force of nature more than a typical monster. That will change again when a horde forms reminds everyone that nature is a cruel shambling **** that has decided humans are no longer welcome.

I'm surprised that they haven't spotted or looked for a horde at all this season. With all the noise they make at the town and the prison the threat of luring one should be significant. I'm hoping their "war" does exactly that. The rotting flesh tsunami hears those explosives going off and changes direction.

gee...i'm ready for a change of locale too, but very good plotting reasons for the time spent in the prison include Laurie giving birth (minor event I guess), recovering after a hard winter on the road---they do find food, protection and a chance to sit and rest after much loss...like in the crushing disappointment of ATL/CDC, and then losing the farm and all the combined-group members including Shane, the little girl etc...and then giving the newborn time to develop just a tad in relative security and shelter from the elements before resuming travel (if the prison ended up not being viable as a longer-term sanctuary)...and Rick's serious deterioration (sort of muddying up the ole decision making process for everyone) after being under endless stress since he left that hospital bed and ended up a leader in a post-apocalyptic world with his family missing then regaining them only to deal with the triangle/new baby/wife's death/son's role-life in this new world...

...i think it's a positive reflection on the series that people are so extremely demanding of almost-perfect execution in every possible plot-storyline detail (in my analysis) of such a premise...which is fine....the few folks I read/talk to who are fed up etc are as entitled to their view as anyone (helps when its intelligently framed)...it is just a tv show in the end, though one of my faves and one i think is still very good quality/entertainment overall...i know people who didn't care for the sopranos, dexter, deadwood, or the wire based on arguments of scripting/believability/errors etc...

...like popular music and movies, one can make informed arguments on various accepted criteria for judging craftsmanship/achievement in traditional parameters, but for much of the viewing public at large it's still a lot like what soda pop/ice cream preferences you hold...quite subjective....

i know people who didn't care for the sopranos, dexter, deadwood, or the wire based on arguments of scripting/believability/errors etc...

what?! If any of those folks were on ES, I hope you banned them "just cuz." :ols:

But as you said, we've all got a right to our opinion, even morons like me. ;)

The Prison simply stands to show that virtually no place is safe and as such I think it's sure to fall in the next episode. The first series explored two settings: camping randomly in the woods and the city. Shockingly, neither proved safe. They upgraded from a random camp to a farm and moved away from the city embracing the peace of a rural setting. The zombie horde found them anyway and took over the farm by overwhelming the little piggies defenses. Enter season three, the now battle scarred and half crazy survivors set their sites on a prison. The zombies surely wouldn't be able to knock down this third house, with it's much sturdier walls. With urban and rural environments now explored and deemed too bitey for survival we go to small towns. Not surprisingly "real america" is ruled by a organized group of gun toting madmen capable of blowing the prison's walls down.

Those hoping the government could help, the CDC was for you. Not only did they not help, they exploded. Isn't that just like the government? Happy to tax you but as soon as you ask for something simple, like shelter in their big super advanced building, they go and blow up on you like a bunch of jerks. Not cool.

I'm hoping that in the next season the survivors conclude that there no hope in running and finding safety. It's time to fight back and rebuild civilization. Also, less Andrea.

Archived