Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason "Teflon don Campbell

Shanny&Danny

Man, JC is a true coach killer. So far he has run Gregg(2nd g for genius of course) Williams, Al Saunders and Jim Zorn out of DC, and now he's ready to do damage on the west coast as well. It appears that anytime JC is your QB it's time to polish up that resume cuz the clock is tickin'.

Ok, so you're blaming Campbell for a defensive coaches departure and the departure of a QB coach who was in over his head?

Like I said, I'm glad he's still not our QB, but that doesn't even make sense.

Actually, Bruce got hurt, and it was very well known that Al Davis wanted to go with Jason Campbell. So, when Bruce got hurt and they had to go back to Campbell, Davis forced the staff to stick with him. Davis believes Campbell is the next Jim Plunkett; he said it himself in an interview. He got rid of Bruce because he didn't want the distraction. The coaches didn't want Campbell starting, which is one of the reasons why they aren't there either.

So, he didn't revise anything about history; you just never knew the history. Big difference.

On the contrary. If Bruce was wanted then he would still be there.

It's not rocket science. Who is on the roster and who is not.

He only signed a one year contract with Oakland last season and was not brought back.

Bruce is listed BEHIND Dalton on the Bengals depth chart.

So yea, it's revisionist history. And I don't care for Campbell, but the continued hate from some ( and the usual suspects of course) is astounding.

He's a mediocre QB that will not win you many games, but he can manage a game with a decent supporting cast.

8-4 last year

1-0 this year

Trent Dilfer went 12-4 and 4-0 in the playoffs in 2000/2001. Was Trent really that good? Does anyone honestly think he could have pulled that off with any other team short of the 1985 Bears squad?

On the contrary. If Bruce was wanted then he would still be there.

You clearly didn't read the post you replied to very well, if at all. The question is not "was Bruce wanted?" it is "who wanted who?". Al Davis, who as we all known is renowned for his personnel decisions, wanted Campbell and Al Davis, being Al Davis, gets his way with the Raiders. However, Tom Cable was reportedly a much bigger Gradkowski fan who tended to pull Campbell from the lineup at every conceivable, remotely justifiable opportunity when Gradkowski was not injured.

Man, JC is a true coach killer. So far he has run Gregg(2nd g for genius of course) Williams, Al Saunders and Jim Zorn out of DC, and now he's ready to do damage on the west coast as well. It appears that anytime JC is your QB it's time to polish up that resume cuz the clock is tickin'.

The presence of Campbell is certainly a pretty good sign of incompetent scouting, ownership, and/or general management.

Candle gets hate because he seemed to have wasted 4 years of this Redskins franchise's time(granted not all by himself). I look at it like Campbell was to Gibbs as what McNabb was to Shanny, not in draft picks or value mind you, more so in how both were risky choices that the coaches bet on. Problem was is that Gibbs held onto the Candle project too long, whereas Shanny cut bait right away. When it comes to my opinion of him, I look at the fact that he left town here a lot classier then some other ex-redskins did so the collective-fan's-hatchet with him should be buried.

With all that said:

Though he may be doing well in Oakland, I can never see them winning a AFC championship with him. Sooner or later Pryor will creep into that picture.

You clearly didn't read the post you replied to very well, if at all. The question is not "was Bruce wanted?" it is "who wanted who?". Al Davis, who as we all known is renowned for his personnel decisions, wanted Campbell and Al Davis, being Al Davis, gets his way with the Raiders. However, Tom Cable was reportedly a much bigger Gradkowski fan who tended to pull Campbell from the lineup at every conceivable, remotely justifiable opportunity when Gradkowski was not injured.

Was it the 52% completion percentage that has you hyping him or the 5TD/7Int? Gradkowski isn't on his 4th team 6 years because Al Davis.

No believe it or not I am able to comprehend what I read. ( I have been educated)

The fact remains, Gradkowski is a backup Bengal and was not tendered anything more than a one year contract.

My preference would have been Gradkowski, but I ain't no Raider fan so I don't really care. But if Bruce would have beaten out Jason, then he would have been offered an extension. He was not.

It's pretty freaking easy. One guy is no longer on that team. Therefore, that team preferred one over the other. The coach, who preferred Bruce is no longer the coach. (insert Al Davis rant here)

JC is a mediocre QB that will manage a game, but is not able to take over as the unquestioned leader of a team. He's in the best situation for him. A strong running game, and a pretty good defense. They don't have to rely on him.

And who really cares what Bruce wanted? He's one of the players, and not the decision maker on that team. The one that makes roster decisions opted for one over the other.

Campbell gets so many opportunities, because he's a puppet. Coordinators love to wind him up and let him go. He doesn't have instincts, intuition, or philosophies that might get in the way of operating an offense in the most robotic manner possible. Sure, in the film room, he can probably defend his decision to check down on every play and receive a nice pat on the head while the finger of blame is directed elsewhere. But you're never going to get a surrounding cast good enough to compensate for his hollow play and any coaching staff that doesn't realize that will be looking for a new job soon enough.

No believe it or not I am able to comprehend what I read. ( I have been educated)

The fact remains, Gradkowski is a backup Bengal and was not tendered anything more than a one year contract.

My preference would have been Gradkowski, but I ain't no Raider fan so I don't really care. But if Bruce would have beaten out Jason, then he would have been offered an extension. He was not.

It's pretty freaking easy. One guy is no longer on that team. Therefore, that team preferred one over the other. The coach, who preferred Bruce is no longer the coach. (insert Al Davis rant here)

JC is a mediocre QB that will manage a game, but is not able to take over as the unquestioned leader of a team. He's in the best situation for him. A strong running game, and a pretty good defense. They don't have to rely on him.

And who really cares what Bruce wanted? He's one of the players, and not the decision maker on that team. The one that makes roster decisions opted for one over the other.

It is pretty easy, remember when Dan Snyder wanted Jeff George to play instead of Brad Johnson? Remember what happened to the coach who thought otherwise? Remember what happened to Brad Johnson? We kept the definite worse of the two QB, even Brad Johnson had proved himself the season before. It was all because of a meddling owner (sound familiar?). IT wasn't at all what the TEAM wanted. It wasn't that the TEAM preferred George over Johnson. The owner did, and that was that. Thank God Marty got rid of George the following year. Tony Freaking Banks played better than Jeff George. It is the same thing in Oakland, just different names of QB's, coaches, and owner than what we had in 2000. You can try to delude yourself all you want that that isn't the case, but it was PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. The coach said as much, the owner said as much. Jason Campbell did not beat out Bruce. The owner is infatuated with him, and, I'm sorry, but having Al Davis infatuated with you is more telling than anything.

I don't understand the hate for this guy, even now on the west coast. Why hope he fails?

I'll always hope for the best for JC, he is the toughest player this team had during his tenure here. Someone said, he is the anti-Romo sits to pee, and that really is the truth. He will not win you the game but nor will he lose it like Romo sits to pee and other QBs.

He never complained during his time here and had an absolutely terrible supporting cast every year and a revolving door of coaches/offensive system changes. He was freaking ABUSED in his years here behind the worst offensive lines in the history of the Redskins. He also had an aging/overrated CP and only Moss to throw too. He took a beating both on the field and off by the media/fans. Never once did he b**** and moan about it...he just went out there and, for lack of a better term, "played his guts out"

Was he a good QB? No, hes a very average-ish to below average QB.

Am I glad we have Rex? Yes, Rex is a much better fit for this system than JC

He is what he is...the quiet, tough, non risk taking, game manager QB. You can do a lot worse in this league. Chances are he won't ever win a playoff game with Oakland but I still will hope he does.

Post all the stats you want. I'd take Rex in a heartbeat over JC. Figures lie and liers figure.

Couldn't agree more. The stats put forth by certain members don't show the whole story, and I know the members who posted the numbers realize that. The real question, the only question, is who would you rather have as your QB: Rex Grossman or Jason Campbell? Having watched both, I'm not sure how I can understand anyone picking Campbell. I'm sure Jason is a great guy, and I wish him well, but for Skins fans to defend him and then post his numbers is absurd. Does he have a decent completion rate? Yes. But you would too if most of your passes avereged 4-5 yrds through the air. Does he keep the ints to a minimum? Yes, but you would too if you were never taking chances down the field. Campbell has always relied on soft zones and YAC to pad his stats. But here are the facts: he has the slowest release I've ever seen; he has some of the worst footwork I've ever seen; he has an incredibly slow dropback, almost like he is walking through sand; he cannot throw the deep ball with any touch or accuracy; he cannot throw timing routes; he cannot throw with any consistency between the hash marks; he's incapable of sustaining a passing game between 10-20 yrds (an intermediate passing game); most importantly--he can't read defenses to save his life.

Now someone come back to me and refute the statements above if they'd like to carry water for him. I just don't get it. I really don't. The year he went down and Todd Collins came in--Todd freakin Collins--same team, same line, same skill positions--we looked like a totally different offense. We were fluid and in sink; we moved with urgency up the field. If you didn't realize at that point that Campbell was the problem, you were never going to realize it.

---------- Post added September-14th-2011 at 04:11 PM ----------

He is what he is...the quiet, tough, non risk taking, game manager QB. You can do a lot worse in this league. Chances are he won't ever win a playoff game with Oakland but I still will hope he does.

I actually disagree pretty strongly that you could do a lot worse in this league. And I'm not sure I'd even bestow the game manager moniker on Campbell. He's a QB that can't read defenses and can't sustain any type of passing game. He can't move with any urgency and he can't be relied on to score points or get an offense in a position to score points. He shouldn't be a starting QB in this league.

It is pretty easy, remember when Dan Snyder wanted Jeff George to play instead of Brad Johnson? Remember what happened to the coach who thought otherwise? Remember what happened to Brad Johnson? We kept the definite worse of the two QB, even Brad Johnson had proved himself the season before. It was all because of a meddling owner (sound familiar?). IT wasn't at all what the TEAM wanted. It wasn't that the TEAM preferred George over Johnson. The owner did, and that was that. Thank God Marty got rid of George the following year. Tony Freaking Banks played better than Jeff George. It is the same thing in Oakland, just different names of QB's, coaches, and owner than what we had in 2000. You can try to delude yourself all you want that that isn't the case, but it was PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. The coach said as much, the owner said as much. Jason Campbell did not beat out Bruce. The owner is infatuated with him, and, I'm sorry, but having Al Davis infatuated with you is more telling than anything.

Oh please tell me what Gradkowski has done in his career.

drafted by Tampa in 2006 in the 6th round. Got on the field with Simms ruptured his spleen. his record starting in Tampa 3-8 and was cut on May 30th 2008.

St. Louis claimed him off of waivers but he was cut in August of 2008.

The Browns signed him on Dec 2nd 2008 as their 4th string QB. he got into the season's final game after injuries to Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and Ken Dorsey. He was waived in February of 2009.

Oakland claimed him off waivers in 2009. He was able to play better than Jamarcus Russell. Yet in the offseason, he was tendered to a one year contract. meanwhile, Oakland traded for JC. ( can't say the team felt comfortable with Gradkowski if they trade for Campbell)

He showed better command I guess and usurped JC as the starter, then he separated his shoulder and went on IR. But Oakland decided to no re-sign him. ( the same guys that decided to pick him up off waivers in 2009)

Now he's backing up Andy Dalton in Cincy.

Even if Davis prefers JC over Gradkowski, plenty of teams passed on him too. The job he got is backing up a rookie.

So if Bruce is so good, then what happened to all these other teams? Why is it the best he could do is sign as a backup to Andy Dalton?

Face it, he's not any better than Campbell.

Campbell gets so many opportunities, because he's a puppet. Coordinators love to wind him up and let him go. He doesn't have instincts, intuition, or philosophies that might get in the way of operating an offense in the most robotic manner possible. Sure, in the film room, he can probably defend his decision to check down on every play and receive a nice pat on the head while the finger of blame is directed elsewhere. But you're never going to get a surrounding cast good enough to compensate for his hollow play and any coaching staff that doesn't realize that will be looking for a new job soon enough.

I agree with this post 100%

Oh please tell me what Gradkowski has done in his career.

drafted by Tampa in 2006 in the 6th round. Got on the field with Simms ruptured his spleen. his record starting in Tampa 3-8 and was cut on May 30th 2008.

St. Louis claimed him off of waivers but he was cut in August of 2008.

The Browns signed him on Dec 2nd 2008 as their 4th string QB. he got into the season's final game after injuries to Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and Ken Dorsey. He was waived in February of 2009.

Oakland claimed him off waivers in 2009. He was able to play better than Jamarcus Russell. Yet in the offseason, he was tendered to a one year contract. meanwhile, Oakland traded for JC. ( can't say the team felt comfortable with Gradkowski if they trade for Campbell)

He showed better command I guess and usurped JC as the starter, then he separated his shoulder and went on IR. But Oakland decided to no re-sign him. ( the same guys that decided to pick him up off waivers in 2009)

Now he's backing up Andy Dalton in Cincy.

Even if Davis prefers JC over Gradkowski, plenty of teams passed on him too. The job he got is backing up a rookie.

So if Bruce is so good, then what happened to all these other teams? Why is it the best he could do is sign as a backup to Andy Dalton?

Face it, he's not any better than Campbell.

I don't think anyone is claiming Gradkowski is a great QB, not by any means. The only point being made here is that when your owner is the de-facto GM either in actual title, or just by how they run the team, ultimately their decision is what the team goes with.

From all the press out here (I live in the Raiders coverage area) Tom Cable is also another coach that the team themselves wanted to stay, and vouched for, but Al Davis didn't care, because Cable didn't just rubber stamp everything Al Davis wanted.

Hell, this is an owner that FIRED JON GRUDEN after Gruden had turned the damn organization around. I still say the Raiders would have beat the Bucs in the superbowl if the Bucs were coached by anyone but Gruden who knew exactly how to attack the Raiders. (The Raiders offense seemed to figure out how to attack the Cover 2 later in the game, but it was too late).

The bottom line is Al Davis is the decision maker of the Raiders, not the coaches. Al Davis from Day 1 of signing Campbell had this fantasy in his head that Campbell was the next coming of Plunkett who had a "meh" career and ended up on the Raiders as a "castout misfit" who led them to the Superbowl. Al Davis has this idea in his head, so everyone else in the organization be damned if they think otherwise.

Tom Cable on the other hand seemed to realize Campbell's max ability on the field, and almost seemed to look to find any excuse to bench him or give Gradkowski chances to prove he was better.

Now personally, I don't think either QB is much better than average, and I would actually say Campbell is the better QB overall career-wise of course, but whenever Gradkowski came into the games in substitution for Campbell, the SAME THING happened in Oakland as did Washington with Campbell backups.....Suddenly the offense went from a sideline to sideline check down offense, to an attacking offense that moved the ball down the field a lot faster. Suddenly the ball was being completed downfield, WRs I guess magically got open when anyone but Campbell was in there. This was all behind the same O-line and cast of supporting players.

I actually disagree pretty strongly that you could do a lot worse in this league. And I'm not sure I'd even bestow the game manager moniker on Campbell. He's a QB that can't read defenses and can't sustain any type of passing game. He can't move with any urgency and he can't be relied on to score points or get an offense in a position to score points. He shouldn't be a starting QB in this league.

The problem is when people think "starting qb", they think that means a legit/good QB. There are not 32 legit/good QBs in the NFL, so you are going to have some guys starting who are pretty shakey, JC is among those bottom starting QBs. There are not 32 QBs better than JC in the league right now. If there were he wouldn't be starting. I'm not saying JC is good but he is good enough to start for a mediocre team and win games here and there, and that's exactly what he's been doing. Sometimes thats all you want, as a stopgap to a younger QB. Later in his career he will be a solid backup QB. It is what it is.

I don't understand the hate for this guy, even now on the west coast. Why hope he fails?

I'll always hope for the best for JC, he is the toughest player this team had during his tenure here.

he was tough, and sadly... i wished he wasnt. the only time he gets hurt during his tenure here our offense clicks with the backup.

Post all the stats you want. I'd take Rex in a heartbeat over JC. Figures lie and liers figure.

Not to get into the middle of this debate, because frankly I don't care much about what JC does or doesn't do, now that he's no longer a Skin. But with regards to this phrase, i've seen it used several times on here in the last couple of weeks. Even had someone use it in response to one of my posts. Obviously its very old phrase, but it seems to be making a sort of a comeback as a hip new catch phrase. Unfortunately, everytime i've seen it used it has been misquoted, hence not making it as catchy as it might originally be intended to be. The actual phrase is "Figures don't lie, but liars do figure". Just "figured" i'd pass that along :)

He never complained during his time here and had an absolutely terrible supporting cast every year and a revolving door of coaches/offensive system changes. He was freaking ABUSED in his years here behind the worst offensive lines in the history of the Redskins. He also had an aging/overrated CP and only Moss to throw too.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure if any of that is true but a lot of it is nothing but 100% false. Portis was great when Campbell was here and when he got injured in 06 Betts had a 1000 yard 1/2 a season too. If Portis didn't lead the league in rushing for the first 1/2 of 2008 we'd have started 1-7 instead of 6-2 and in 2007 there wouldn't have been a 5-7 for Collins to win out to get us into the playoffs because we'd have started 2-10. We had a top 5 defense with Campbell starting in 07-08 and he mostly lost despite Portis rushing for close to 3000 yards. In 06 he was 2-5 despite Betts putting up almost 1200 yards in 1/2 a season. Collins comes in for 4 games in 07 and we win every one by double digits and the OL somehow looks great.

Campbell does NOTHING to win football games. Moss wasn't the only receiver but Lloyd or just about anyone else was totally useless with a QB who refuses to throw the ball down the field, Lloyd led the league last year with a much less strong armed QB who will pass all around the field. Campbell won't even attempt to use about 2/3's of the field in front of him even when the defense gives it to him like Denver did on monday. He's too busy checking down to the TE/RB 5 yards away to the left or right.

It should be obvious for anyone and I can't understand how it isn't. Anybody who watched this past full Sunday of football, then Brady and the supposedly really bad QB like Henne on Monday night, then Denver/Oakland afterwards would have to be totally blind to not see that Campbell does very very close to NOTHING to win football games. And Denvers defense is horrible. 32nd in yards and 32nd in points last year. JC goes out and makes their Defense look top 10 despite McFadden playing like OJ Simpson in his 2000 yard season.

.... but whenever Gradkowski came into the games in substitution for Campbell, the SAME THING happened in Oakland as did Washington with Campbell backups.....Suddenly the offense went from a sideline to sideline check down offense, to an attacking offense that moved the ball down the field a lot faster. Suddenly the ball was being completed downfield, WRs I guess magically got open when anyone but Campbell was in there. This was all behind the same O-line and cast of supporting players.
In an act of sweet redemption, Campbell came off the bench to replace Bruce Gradkowski and led Oakland over the Chargers. Campbell was 13-of-18 for 159 yards and one touchdown. He led the Raiders on two long touchdowns drives in the fourth quarter, converting three big third-down plays.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/bruce-gradkowski/count/31

Same old story. Just like on Monday night. 32nd ranked Denver defense. Campbell plays it safe though, has a dumpoff td pass, and 105 yards on 22 attempts.

His RB averages way more per carry than he does per pass so I understand why they don't pass it more. 22 carries = 150 yards. Well thats 45 more yards on the same amount of attempts and 6.8 average.

Even the entire team averaged more per rush. 39 for 190 for a 4.9 average. Campbell goes 105 yards on 22 attempts passing for a 4.8 average.

Oaklands biggest mistake is not having Mark Brunell as his backup. If Candle went down you wouldn't even notice the difference.

It is the same old story. Campbell has always looked better coming off the bench. Look at his entire NFL career. Every time he has come into a game, but not started it, he has decent numbers. Why? My guess is because if he fails, he knows the buck will be passed to the starter for getting the team in the position they were in to have him enter the game. Yet, when he starts, he plays scared. That, in my opinion, should be the first chapter in the book on Jason Campbell.

It is the same old story. Campbell has always looked better coming off the bench. Look at his entire NFL career. Every time he has come into a game, but not started it, he has decent numbers. Why? My guess is because if he fails, he knows the buck will be passed to the starter for getting the team in the position they were in to have him enter the game. Yet, when he starts, he plays scared. That, in my opinion, should be the first chapter in the book on Jason Campbell.

When did he ever come off the bench here? I don't recall him ever doing it.

Archived