Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Thinker: "Registering the Poor to Vote is Un-American."

Baculus

American Thinker.....I'm not sure which is a bigger contradiction...that or CIA.

Well if we're listing contradictions ... don't forget "religious tolerance". :evilg:

Note: I'm not accusing Methodism of being a religion, so that wasn't an insult directed at you. :evilg:

Why should we register the poor to vote?

The only reason they want to vote is because they want money... more specifically YOUR money. Hell, one day, they might just vote themselves off of that street corner they've been living at for the last decade... with YOUR money. You don't want them to have your money do you? You know they'll just waste it on drugs and booze anyhow right? That's right, don't let the poor vote. A vote for the poor is a vote for giving money to drug and alcohol abusers looking for their next fix. Did I do it right?

Try being a Christian. Not only am I not allowed to wish this guy harm, but I have to love him as my neighbor.

:ols:

Tell you what.

Some of these clowns better hope I never get diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I might just start cleaning up the place on my way out.

~Bang

Where has this "Being poor is easy because they get all our money" movement come from? How can people even think that could be a possibility? The free ride is over? When did it start? I can't even start to relate to this sentiment.

My mom makes 80k a year and because she saw some guy once pay for steak with food stamps she seems to think that all poor people on public assistance have it better than she does. I love her, but she's not a very aware women.

My mom makes 80k a year and because she saw some guy once pay for steak with food stamps she seems to think that all poor people on public assistance have it better than she does. I love her, but she's not a very aware women.

Actually, I seem to remember a poster in here mentioning that they're a foster family for a developmentally disabled child, and that as part of what the state "pays" them, to take care of the child, they get food stamps.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 07:51 PM ----------

Where has this "Being poor is easy because they get all our money" movement come from? How can people even think that could be a possibility? The free ride is over? When did it start? I can't even start to relate to this sentiment.

I think it's the public face of the "if welfare didn't exist, then all those people who won't work for us for what we're offering them will have to take whatever we offer, or starve" movement.

But that's just a personal theory.

I just don't understand what's happening to conservatism in this country. This kind of foolishness is not what I signed up for. I pray to God this is not what the majority of my fellow conservatives believe.

I've never been all that conservative (never all that liberal either really) but there were always elements of conservative theory that I thought were important and meaningful. The current crop of "conservatives" however really leaves me scratching my head.

This line of thinking isn't restricted to politicians and members of the media.

I've actually read a post from an ES member stating exactly the same idea..... which was stupid poor people shouldn't have the same voting power as a successful business person.

I can't think of anything less democratic than that.

Well if we're listing contradictions ... don't forget "religious tolerance". :evilg:

Note: I'm not accusing Methodism of being a religion, so that wasn't an insult directed at you. :evilg:

Actually, I agree the Christian faith is about conforming not deviation and has been since the beginning, it's only since Modernism infected theological studies that people have tried to reduce the faith to a philosophy of tolerance.

But that's a subject for another thread, one that is a whole lot more deserving of our time and attention to anything that the tool in the OP says. I'm just wondering if this guy has ever studied the French Revolution when the poor and oppressed rose up against their land-owning Bourgeoisie.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 09:57 PM ----------

That's because they want to create an aristocracy, they aren't interested in the ideals that made this country, they are just as the people they say are UnAmerican.

With the loss of discernment in our culture and the immediate availability of any number of ideas we are transforming our culture into one where the strongest argument carried the day, to one where every opinion is seen as being on equal standing as any other.

LoL who says Postmodernity is an illusion?!

This line of thinking isn't restricted to politicians and members of the media.

I've actually read a post from an ES member stating exactly the same idea..... which was stupid poor people shouldn't have the same voting power as a successful business person.

Was that me?(I can't recall)

I do agree we play to the lowest common denominator and the fact uninformed voters have the same vote as me is objectionable.

but I ain't real Democratic by nature.:evilg:

it's only since Modernism infected theological studies that people have tried to reduce the faith to a philosophy of tolerance.

As opposed to persecution ;)

Sorry...back on topic :)

The real shame is that people in this country have to be told, or coerced to vote, and what to vote for. To me that isn't democracy any more than special interest lining politicians pockets to buy their way.

I do agree we play to the lowest common denominator and the fact uninformed voters have the same vote as me is objectionable.

What qualifes someone as an informed voter? What is the bare minimum requirement?

Can you tell me how an uninformed voter differs from an informed voter?

How does an informed voter vote?

What would be different if every voter was an informed voter? Who would have been elected and changed the course of world history and created utopia?

What is your level of education?

High school,(public school even) ain't rich either.....but I can outscore most of ya on current events and history

I do agree with the author that pushing and influencing the disinterested to vote is a recipe for disaster.

I am of course the owner of several properties :silly:

add

diehard....a informed voter can cast a knowledgeable vote w/o the party distinction on a ballot...if ya don't know enough to recognise the individuals or the merits of a proposition ya have no business cancelling out a informed voter ...imo of course

High school,(public school even) ain't rich either.....but I can outscore most of ya on current events and history

I do agree with the author that pushing and influencing the disinterested to vote is a recipe for disaster.

I am of course the owner of several properties :silly:

add

diehard....a informed voter can cast a knowledgeable vote w/o the party distinction on a ballot...if ya don't know enough to recognise the individuals or the merits of a proposition ya have no business cancelling out a informed voter ...imo of course

College provides a lot more wisdom on how to process said info.

Personally, I don't like sharing my vote with the uneducated and those who lacked the drive and the discipline needed to complete higher education. I think they lack fundamental cognitive ability and critical thinking skills.

I also despise sharing votes with the racist, xenophobic, ignorant tea party asshats. But, its the cross I gladly bear to live here.

College provides a lot more wisdom on how to process said info.

Personally, I don't like sharing my vote with the uneducated and those who lacked the drive and the discipline needed to complete higher education. I think they lack fundamental cognitive ability and critical thinking skills.

I also despise sharing votes with the racist, xenophobic, ignorant tea party asshats. But, its the cross I gladly bear to live here.

Zoony has been quite snarky lately. I love it :)

Heh, while the college boys were learning how to process,I was making money and applying wisdom....I can hire a PhD to wash my car nowadays(them durn student loans are a ***** I hear)

I have been asked to instruct at college....maybe one of these days I'll get bored enough to give it a go,or grab a degree

So the article starts off by saying Dems want to register the poor to vote as they'll likely vote for them due to welfare programs and other handouts, and seems to say it as a negative. My question is, why do they get slammed when the rich seem to typically vote Republican due to corporate interests that party strives to protect?

And any kind of test or requiring ownership of property to vote is stupid and it's outdated for a reason. Read some history folks, else were doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. We live in a DEMOCRACY, so everyone has a voice, regardless of income or intelligence.

We live in a DEMOCRACY, so everyone has a voice, regardless of income or intelligence.

A representative republic actually....Hey I got no problem with the poor or the mentally challenged ,but a truly informed voter is preferable no matter the status.

I'd hate to leave the country in Zoony and co. hands.:2drunks:

I love the big guy,even if he is a hopeless romantic.;)

Archived