Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should make the cut on the "Mt. Rushmore" of the Redskins franchise?

Khun Kao

Hey, Instead of this pie in the sky "Mt. Rushmore" pipedream, lets build 8 hero sized bronze statues, each one 9 foot 3 inches (the Landry statue in Arlington, TX is only 9'2") tall on a granite plinth and place them at each of the 8 gate entrances to Fed-ex field!

Hey, Instead of this pie in the sky "Mt. Rushmore" pipedream, lets build 8 hero sized bronze statues, each one 9 foot 3 inches (the Landry statue in Arlington, TX is only 9'2") tall on a granite plinth and place them at each of the 8 gate entrances to Fed-ex field!

I like this idea.

You guys realize that all the JKC love is basically just because you hate Snyder so much. JKC was a good owner with an open checkbook. Snyder has been a bad owner with an open checkbook.

It's also JKC's mismanagement of his estate which caused Snyder to become owner in the first place.

If you go that route, then you should go with the best owner, not merely the first owner.

GPM oversaw a period of about 25 years where the Redskins just sucked eggs lol....4 winning seasons in a 26 year span. When he died and JKC officially took over as owner, he oversaw a time span that had 2 losing seasons in 22 years. That's freakin' incredible. Under Cooke, Redskins fans saw George Allen and Joe Gibbs as head coaches, and got to 5 SBs.

GPM was more important to the league overall than to the Redskins, imo...but it's hard to argue against putting the franchise's founder on the make-believe monument.

Didn't we have Edward Bennett Williams in between GPM and JKC?

True, that :yes: :yes:...

But you gotta admit, seeing this face carved in stone:

-908.jpg

...would be worth the drive out to Montana in the RV :thumbsup:

I saw that in your previous 4 picture post. Love the Red Snapper.

GPM does not deserve a spot. His racism kept this team mired in mediocrity for literally decades. If you want to put a 'founding father' on there go with Baugh, or Flaherty.

JKC has to go on there. So does Gibbs.

That leaves one spot for a 'modern' player. I'd say Jurgensen or Green. Personally I'd go with Green who was a lifelong Redskin.

Baugh, Cooke, Gibbs, Green.

That's my mountain.

GPM does not deserve a spot. His racism kept this team mired in mediocrity for literally decades. If you want to put a 'founding father' on there go with Baugh, or Flaherty.

JKC has to go on there. So does Gibbs.

That leaves one spot for a 'modern' player. I'd say Jurgensen or Green. Personally I'd go with Green who was a lifelong Redskin.

Baugh, Cooke, Gibbs, Green.

That's my mountain.

First balck player to break the color barrier in the NFL was Kenny Washington in 1946. Redskins were the only team without a black player by 1952. Redskins integrated in 1962. That's not literally decades. His racism aside, his football contributions, on and off the field, are responsible for keeping the NFL going, transforming it into a modern game, and he's responsible for the early established die-hard loyalty of Washington Redskins fans.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, should Washington or Jefferson be removed from the actual Mt. Rushmore because they owned slaves? Should we ban the older NFL players in the HOF because some of them were racists (from the 1920s to the 1950s there's no way there weren't racist players in the NFL)?

If we're going to delve into non-football related aspects for determining football personnel on a football Mt. Rushmore, then why should JKC go up given his various infedilities, marrying 5 times, some to women much, much younger, his final wife was 40 years younger than him and a former drug runner, his marriage problems were a public spectacle? Is a racist from early 20th century America so much worse than an old man lusting after women several decades younger than him and such dealings becoming a public spectacle in the 80s and 90s? If JKC's personal short-comings can be cast aside, in large part because he brought the team 3 Superbowl victories, why can't GPM's be the same, given the 2 Championships he brought us, him bringing the team to DC, instilling the early fan loyalty through great fan relations, instituting television coverage and bringing the Redskins to the homes of Southern Americans, keeping the league going during WWII when a suspension of play could have ended the league, etc.

We wouldn't have the NFL as we know it today if not for GPM and his contributions, heck, baseball might still be the national pasttime. I can understand not wanting to glorify someone commonly believed to be an ardent racist, but if slave-owners get a pass and instead their contributions from their positions are only examined, then for a ficticious football version the same should be done, IMO.

You got to go coaches/owners and then players only. So this is easy, basically every mountain has at least two sides and thus makes parking easier for the attraction, which is $5.00 for one side and $12.80 for both. Guided tour extra.

Green

Monk

Riggins

Jacoby

Joe

JKC

Marshall

George Allen

me, living here in now sorry ass panther country , buying the sunday ticket staying up late drunk wacthing us lose in the last quater, gezz we have sucked since '93. I don't understand how y'all up there pay slapnut all that money, for seats, time in traffic, $10 beers, maybe my fellow skin's fans up north should be on this mountain.

It's and interesting topic. One thing about it, Rushmore is complete. The Redskins franchise is evolving. If more presidents could be added, who would they be? In my opinion, Marshall, Baugh and Gibbs are the three locks for the Redskins. That fouth spot is tough. Riggins has the #1 signature play for the franchise. Green has the longest tenure and maybe the #3 signature play in franchise history (punt return vs Bears. I think Darryl Grant's pick six against Dallas is #2).

Allen, Lombardi, JKC, Gibbs, Baugh, Mitchell

Yeah, I know, I cheated.

For all Marshall did in the beginning, he unwound it in the end with his refusal to sign black players.

Lombardi reforged this team in his one year here and Allen took off and ran with it, making the Skins a respectable team.

Mitchell was the first black player to sign and stayed with the team forever.

JKC, Gibbs, Baugh are obivous.

me, living here in now sorry ass panther country , buying the sunday ticket staying up late drunk wacthing us lose in the last quater, gezz we have sucked since '93. I don't understand how y'all up there pay slapnut all that money, for seats, time in traffic, $10 beers, maybe my fellow skin's fans up north should be on this mountain.

Left f ield is that you?

Archived