Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should make the cut on the "Mt. Rushmore" of the Redskins franchise?

Khun Kao

I think that the mortal locks are Baugh and Gibbs. I would find any history of the 'Skins to ludicrous without those 2.

Then there are several possibilities:

Sonny Jurgensen - Apart from Baugh, who is in a different discussion, probably the best QB that the team has ever had, and his 30 years of being a team ambassador and radio announcer does factor in. He'd get my vote.

Darrell Green - He played for so long that an entire generatoin of 'Skins fans didn't know what it was like not to have DG on the team until they were in college. He'd also get my vote because of the longevity, playing at such a high level for so long, the memorable plays he was involved in, and the work he has done with the community.

JKC - tough not to put him on the list. But, I'm just not sure who you take off. Maybe Sonny? Not sure. I can't put him over Sonny or Darrell.

George Allen - He wouldn't get my vote, though he's definitely one of the most influential 'Skins. But he was only HC for 7 years, went to one SB, but didn't win it.

Art Monk - One o the best ever, and he, Bobby Mitchel and Charlie Taylor are 3 amazing WRs. I take Monk of that group, but just by the slightest margin.

Joe Bugel - Boss Hog. I don't think you could put an assistent coach in there, but if somehow he got enough votes, I wouldn't complain.

Russ Grimm - Probably the best of the Hogs. The reason to put him up there would be as a representative for the best OL in the history of the NFL. Tough to put him up in front of Sonny or Darrell. But, again, I wouldn't be surprised or upset. One thing that sortof hurts Russ is that the 2 people he would be "competing" with have been very actie in the community since retirement. And he has not, because he's been coaching elsewhere...

John Riggins - Had the most iconic play in the history of the 'Skins, is the leading rusher, even 20 years later, and was instrumental in the 'Skins winning the SB after the 1982 season. Again, comparing him to Sonny and Darrell, and I think they beat him out by a hair. Though it could honestly go either way.

So my four are:

Gibbs

Baugh

Sonny

DGreen

My top 4 tries to take in those who exemplify the best parts of the Redskins:

Coach Joe Gibbs

Defense: D. Green. He gets the nod over other great defensive players both because he played a difficult spot for 20 years and because of some fantastic special teams play like the hurdle against Chicago.

Offense (and sportscaster): Sonny

and Chief Z - For so many of us, we wish we could be the super fan he has been through the decades. How many of us wish we could walk into a crowded parking lot and get the "NORM" recognition of Chears because we had been such a fan for so long?

Yes, I know half my Rushmore never set foot on the field as a player, but they have made the experience of being a fan so much better for the parts they played in the history of Redskin Nation.

Marshall, Gibbs, Baugh are no brainers.

That 4th spot gets tricky. I don't like Riggo, because he had several years with the Jets. Monk, God love him, finished his career with other teams. Darrell Green was great, but he was never even the best CB in the league when he played.

Maybe it is Monk or Green, I don't know. I don't like the idea of anyone on our Mt. Rushmore that we didn't draft so that rules out a lot of popular Redskins. I could maybe look the other way on where Monk finished, because he was so great. Mitchell would be great, but he was drafted by the Browns.

Really, when you look back at our franchise, We've not had too many great homegrown players at all.

---------- Post added May-9th-2013 at 02:07 PM ----------

And not including Marshall is like not including Steve Jobs on a Mt.Rushmore of Apple. Some of you guys are off your meds.

Saw this on the WP's site. My vote would be:

Sonny: at the top. As a player and broadcaster, this guy has been with the Skins in some fashion for close to 50 years now.

Gibbs: greatest coach this franchise has had, unless Shanny wins the next three SBs with RG to the 3

Baugh: nod to a great all-around HOF player from the early days of the franchise

You can go a lot of ways with the 4th one, but Darrell's 20 years as a Skin player gives him the nod in my book

How about broken down by decade?

Sorry for my spelling errors!!

1960's: Sonny, Charlie Taylor, Larry Brown, Vince Lombardi

1970's : George Allen, Dave Butz, Jerry Smith, Ken Houston

1980's: Joe Gibbs, Joe Theisman, John Riggins, D. Green

1990's: Mark Rypien, Gary Clark, Art Monk, Stephen Davis

2000's: Clinton Portis, Chris Samuels, Sean Taylor, Champ Bailey

2010's: RG3, Alfred Morris, Shanahan, London Fletcher

I'm vey interested in finding out how this conversation changes over the next 10 years - I sure as heck hope it does. If RG3 leads us to any SBs, he joins the list (Baugh & Gibbs, the 2 undisputed no-brainers, were the faces of the franchise during our championships). If the elder Shanahan coaches us to any SBs, he might join the list as well. Speaking of which, if he wins 2+ with us, I'd say he probably becomes better known for his tenure here than in Denver, aas he inherited much of that team, while he built this team from scratch. Not to mention any other great players and coaches who emerge during the RG3 era.

Then again perhaps thinking of becoming a dynasty at this point is premature - this team still has holes, after all.

1. Sammy Baugh

2. Joe Gibbs

3. Darrell Green

4. Russ Grimm

The first 3 were easy. The fourth was a toss up between Grimm and Monk. I went with Grimm because he was in every Super Bowl and finished as a Redskin. I feel Monk was hosed in that he should have been allowed to finish his last year with Washington. But in the end the line needed representation because the Hogs were the constant in all four Super Bowls. Without them the Redskins wouldn't have won 1. They managed to keep 3 different QB's upright and open holes for 3 different starting RB's to earn the victory.

Jack Kent Cooke

Slingin' Sammy Baugh

Joe Gibbs

Darrell Green

I can't put George Preston Marshall in this list considering his ignorant beliefs towards race.

So you're going to petition to have Washington and Jefferson removed from the real one? and Ty Cobb and others removed from their sports' HOF?

Newsflash, most of the NFL had racist owners, it was a sad part of our nations' history. GPM gets the most flack for being the last to integrate, but seeing as the Redskins were the team of the South then and many advertisers threatened to cut off the revenue stream, it's hard to see many, if any, of the owners not doing the same thing he did. How many Redskins fans were clamoring for integration and threatening to boycott the team (even to a similar level that we saw in '09 with 4-12)? It wasn't as much as you would hope or like. The fans and community and other NFL owners are just as guilty as GPM, yet everyone focuses exclusively on him.

You can't ignore the contributions of GPM to the sport, which is what this is about, NOT a persons' personal flaws. If it wasn't for GPM we may not even have the NFL today and baseball could still be the #1 sport. This is not a defense of racism, but adding context to someone who wasn't as ardent as has been popularized in the media and whose significant contributions to the NFL go largely overlooked.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been so many great players in the Redskins proud history that it is very hard to choose just four players for the Redskins Mount Rushmore. But If I had to choose, I think I would go...

1. Joe Gibbs

2. Sammy Baugh

3. Darrell Green

4. John Riggins

HM: Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Chris Hanburger, Ken Houston, Sean Taylor, The Hogs, Art Monk, Gary Clark, Charley Taylor, Larry Brown, Bobby Mitchell, Sonny Jergensen, Joe Theismann, George Allen, Richie Petitbon, Joe Bugel, Bobby Beathard, Jack Kent Cooke, George Preston Marshall.

Archived