Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should make the cut on the "Mt. Rushmore" of the Redskins franchise?

Khun Kao

I was browsing another (non-football) forum, and in their "Off Topic" area someone had posted a thread asking everyone to create the "Mt. Rushmore" of their favorite sports franchise. As a 'Skins fan, I chose:

George Preston Marshall - While GPM was, by all acconts, one of the biggest jerks to walk the planet, he is the man who crafted this franchise into what it was. He literally turned the 'Skins into a sports giant.

Slingin' Sammy Baugh - There are too many reasons to write, but I would find it hard to believe that any of us could leave him off this list.

Joe Gibbs - Much the same as Slingin' Sammy... just too many reasons to list, not the least of which is bringing home 3 Lombardi Trophies. Let's not discount that while his 2nd tenure wasn't exactly a success, he did bring the franchise the most success it had seen since his 1st tenure, and there hasn't been anyone to do so since. Again, I find it hard to believe that any of us would leave him off this list.

John Riggins - 70 Chip. Nuff said....

I'm interested in what everyone elses take is....

I was browsing another (non-football) forum, and in their "Off Topic" area someone had posted a thread asking everyone to create the "Mt. Rushmore" of their favorite sports franchise. As a 'Skins fan, I chose:

George Preston Marshall - While GPM was, by all acconts, one of the biggest jerks to walk the planet, he is the man who crafted this franchise into what it was. He literally turned the 'Skins into a sports giant.

Slingin' Sammy Baugh - There are too many reasons to write, but I would find it hard to believe that any of us could leave him off this list.

Joe Gibbs - Much the same as Slingin' Sammy... just too many reasons to list, not the least of which is bringing home 3 Lombardi Trophies. Let's not discount that while his 2nd tenure wasn't exactly a success, he did bring the franchise the most success it had seen since his 1st tenure, and there hasn't been anyone to do so since. Again, I find it hard to believe that any of us would leave him off this list.

John Riggins - 70 Chip. Nuff said....

I'm interested in what everyone elses take is....

I'd replace GPM with JKC but the other three are no brainers.

If it weren't for GPM and Halas there might not be an NFL today as we know it. The Redskins were one of the few teams that turned a profit during WWII and helped carry the rest of the league. The NFL might not have survived suspending operations during that time.

GPM, Cooke, Gibbs, Allen

George Preston Marshall

Sammy Baugh

Joe Gibbs

Darrell Green

Marshall founded the franchise and moved it to DC

Sammy Baugh is it's greatest player

Joe Gibbs is it's greatest coach

Darrell Green played the most games representing this franchise

Really, this wasn't very hard.

Riggins was a mercenary. Longtime Redskin, but a mercenary at heart.

I vote no owners on the monument. They only wrote the checks. (Though JKC, the only logical one from that group, would look cool with his houndstooth hat and those wrap-around shades carved into rock.)

Baugh. Sonny. Darrell Green. Coach Joe.

I would go:

Cooke, Gibbs, Baugh, Ricky Sanders

:ols:

I think you can match a few people from this franchise up with the actual Mt. Rushmore quite nicely. Observe:

-Washington: George Preston Marshall-Founding father of our franchise and helped bring the NFL to wide respectability. Always hard to leave the founder out of any type of memorial like this. Plus both have the first name George, and that simply can't be a coincidence.

-Jefferson: Sammy Baugh-ammy Baugh-Another key player early on. Although his impact may be larger in the grand scheme as the man before him (GPM), it's hard to ever truly live up to the man who started it all. Tell me that bringing the forward pass to the NFL didn't open it up as much as the Louisiana Purchase opened up the US. Plus as a RB, QB, CB, and P he was a jack-of-all-trades. Much like Jefferson the President, VP, Sec of State, and Congressman.

-Lincoln: Joe Jackson Gibbs. The patient and even-tempered statesman. Constant changing of Generals (whether Lincoln with McClellan, Bursides, McClellan, Hooker, McClellan, Meade, etc.) or Gibbs (Theismann, Williams, Schroeder, Rypien, etc.), dealing with a schism (civil war vs. 2 strikes) while ultimately prevailing, and often ranked as among the greatest leaders at their position.

-Roosevelt: John Riggins-The character with charisma to spare. Great nicknames (Rough Rider vs. The Diesel), and both leaving an iconic mark on America society (Teddy Bears, 4th and 1 aka 70 chip).

I think you can match a few people from this franchise up with the actual Mt. Rushmore quite nicely. Observe:

-Washington: George Preston Marshall-Founding father of our franchise and helped bring the NFL to wide respectability. Always hard to leave the founder out of any type of memorial like this. Plus both have the first name George, and that simply can't be a coincidence.

-Jefferson: Sammy Baugh-Another key player early on. Although his impact may not be as large in the grand scheme as the man before him (GPM), he was definitely a star in his own right. Tell me that bringing the forward pass to the NFL didn't open it up as much as the Louisiana Purchase opened up the US. Plus as a RB, QB, CB, and P he was a jack-of-all-trades. Much like Jefferson the President, VP, Sec of State, and Congressman.

-Lincoln: Joe Jackson Gibbs. The patient and even-tempered statesman. Constant changing of Generals (whether Lincoln with McClellan, Bursides, McClellan, Hooker, McClellan, Meade, etc.) or Gibbs (Theismann, Williams, Schroeder, Rypien, etc.), dealing with a schism (civil war vs. 2 strikes) while ultimately prevailing, and often ranked as among the greatest leaders at their position.

-Roosevelt: John Riggins-The character with charisma to spare. Great nicknames (Rough Rider vs. The Diesel), and both leaving an iconic mark on America society (Teddy Bears, 4th and 1 aka 70 chip).

That's pretty good. I guess if it were to be an attempted literal match to the real Rushmore, you've done a pretty good job in laying out the reasons for your selections.

Gibbs, George Allen, Baugh, and ___________... not sure about the fourth. Maybe Sultan Mucollouh or Colt Brenan or being more serious Riggo, Sonny, or Monk, Green.

Actually, my favorite would be Gibbs, George Allen, Baugh, and the Hogs as a unit.

That's pretty good. I guess if it were to be an attempted literal match to the real Rushmore, you've done a pretty good job in laying out the reasons for your selections.

Well I figured anybody can just pick 4 people from the franchise and make a case for each. That's easy. I decided to take a more literal route because I have the day off so why not? :pfft: I wanted to see if anybody else would do the same.

I'm sure there is a point here.

Only tangentially, much like yours.

You: "Marshall was a racist, like the guy who carved Mt Rushmore"

Me: "2 of the guys on Rushmore owned slaves, clearly making them not any less racist than those guys"

My point: I don't think we should forgive people for their obvious character flaws, but Marshall being a racist doesn't diminish his impact on the NFL and the Redskins. That's all.

Archived