Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(YOUTUBE) Rochester Policeman Arrests Woman For Videotaping Him From Her Front Yard

HailGreen28

When I worked in law enforcement, anyone approaching me during a traffic stop, that wasn't involved, was given a stern warning to back away until I was finished. They might even get a second warning. They would not get a third.

That's fine, unless you mean they weren't allowed to observe from a reasonable distance.

How close is too close? How close do you think this woman was standing?

What do you think of the apparent show of force to issue parking citations?

That's fine, unless you mean they weren't allowed to observe from a reasonable distance.

I'm sure it seems like a cop out (no pun intended) but I knew it when I saw it. I don't have a problem with filming, especially from one's own property, as long as the officer feels safe. That being said, I also know he very well could have been FOS when he said he didn't.

How close is too close? How close do you think this woman was standing?

I'm not sure. 10-12 feet from the parked car, maybe. The perspective isn't great on whatever she was recording with.

What do you think of the apparent show of force to issue parking citations?

Well, generally you take additional officers into areas where you expect to get harassed. Given that that's exactly what happened, I'd say it's reasonable.

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 07:14 PM ----------

I should say too, that I'm conflicted on whether or not I think she should have been arrested. She didn't comply with a lawful order. However, "lawful" and "reasonable" aren't always the same thing.

When I worked in law enforcement, anyone approaching me during a traffic stop, that wasn't involved, was given a stern warning to back away until I was finished. They might even get a second warning. They would not get a third.

And just so you know, if you didn't already, the single worst thing people can do (albeit, usually inadvertently) is walk up, or stand, behind a police officer. I'm still jumpy when people come up behind me, and I've been out of LE for 6 years.

She wasn't approaching them. She was standing on her own front lawn.

That's the part I don't like. I think a cop should have a real good reason to go onto someone's property and arrest them without a warrant.

She wasn't approaching them. She was standing on her own front lawn.

That's the part I don't like. I think a cop should have a real good reason to go onto someone's property and arrest them without a warrant.

I don't disagree with your premise, at all.

But how far is her property from the sidewalk? How far is the car from the sidewalk? In that case, your property or not, I believe the officers absolutely have the right to tell you to step back.

Like I said, I'm torn on arresting her. If I hadn't worn a badge, I'd probably be pissed about the whole situation. I think it could have been handled better, certainly. But that's easy to say from my comfy chair in front of the TV.

I don't think he referenced something that happened before she started to tape. He just said that he "didn't feel safe" while she was taping him, which isn't enough of a reason to arrest someone.

Yeah he does, at 1:18.

"Due to what you said to me before you started taping I think you need to stay in your house guys"

She said later that she never spoke to any of them before she started filming. Maybe he was talking about someone else in the group. I don't know.

Like I said earlier, I really don't like police going onto private property and arresting someone without a really good reason. What I saw did not strike me as even a mildly good reason. I am wary about making judgements about film clips taken out of context, though. Just watching the clip it sure looks like the cop was abusing his authority, but without knowing what happened beforehand it's hard to say for sure.

I agree.

Hard to say who is at fault when the tape only record so much, but 2 things I thought of right away

1. The cop looks like an idiot

2. The woman is an idiot, I mean, that camera surely could record from her front door. Then if he comes and arrests her inside the home its a whole different story.

Lastly, gotta love the cops with the rulers. I would hope heads would roll for that, talk about a silly waste of tax payers money

Her front yard is private property just as much as inside her house is, had she broken the law, which she didn't the cop would have had the right to arrest her.

Wow.....this is shocking. A bunch of bullied police officers in grade school abusing powers again.

I've known quite a few cops. A lot of them get into it because they genuinely want to help people.

Unfortunately, they sometimes get poor leadership from above. P.G. County is a good example; there's a long list of settlements against them going back years and years. Arlington, on the other hand, has the most professional force you can imagine.

The fish rots from the head down.

Yeah he does, at 1:18.

"Due to what you said to me before you started taping I think you need to stay in your house guys"

She said later that she never spoke to any of them before she started filming. Maybe he was talking about someone else in the group. I don't know.

Like I said earlier, I really don't like police going onto private property and arresting someone without a really good reason. What I saw did not strike me as even a mildly good reason. I am wary about making judgements about film clips taken out of context, though. Just watching the clip it sure looks like the cop was abusing his authority, but without knowing what happened beforehand it's hard to say for sure.

Ah. Missed that.

This is unrelated, but I was went to the National Law Enforcement Memorial. It lies opposite the National Building Museum at the Judiciary Square Metro. It's a really nice monument with 2 lions overlooking resting cubs on two northern corners, two lionesses overlooking resting cubs on the southern corners, and a fountain inbetween. Surprisingly, it must have been a fairly recent addition because one of the inscribed quotes was from George H. W. Bush. Anyway, for those who like monuments this was one very respectfully and artfully conceived.

I've known quite a few cops. A lot of them get into it because they genuinely want to help people.

Unfortunately, they sometimes get poor leadership from above. P.G. County is a good example; there's a long list of settlements against them going back years and years. Arlington, on the other hand, has the most professional force you can imagine.

I agree. I have no problem with the ones who are down to earth cops that just want to help people. Unfortunately there are a large number of cops on the force who just want to "get back at people". I've dealt with one which is why I'm very sour about cops. I got pulled over for speeding when I had the cruise control on 45 which was the speed limit. I was going to pick up my girlfriend. The cop said I was wearing to much cologne and I was covering up the odor of marijuana. I was ordered out of the car, cuffed, and slammed on the hood of the police car. No consent to search me or my car but his words were "I don't give a flying ****". Well, needless to say he didn't find a thing in my car. He completely trashed my car, handed me a ticket and told me to get the **** outta here.

Like I said, I'm torn on arresting her. If I hadn't worn a badge, I'd probably be pissed about the whole situation. I think it could have been handled better, certainly. But that's easy to say from my comfy chair in front of the TV.

How about from your own front porch? :)

How about from your own front porch? :)

Get off my lawn.

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 08:50 PM ----------

This is one of the things that gets to me.

The video (well, what people have said about the video. Confess I haven't watched it.) suggests that "one cop is a jerk".

But the cops literally conspiring to abuse their authority, for the specific purpose of intimidating citizens who dare to object to being bullied?

That's the whole department.

I confess. This story triggers my "something must be done" reflex.

I'll also confess that my first thoughts on the subject involve the cops with rulers and ticket books, and somebody with a sniper rifle. (I understand that such a reaction isn't rational. Just confessing that it exists.)

My rational reaction to this says that, next election, there needs to be a candidate running on the platform of "If elected, then every single cop who wrote one of those tickets will be fired, for abusing their authority." (And if they used their radios to plan the event, then I might consider prosecution for conspiracy.)

This is one of the things that gets to me.

...My rational reaction to this says that, next election, there needs to be a candidate running on the platform of "If elected, then every single cop who wrote one of those tickets will be fired, for abusing their authority." (And if they used their radios to plan the event, then I might consider prosecution for conspiracy.)

I'd agree that there's an obvious need for an elected official to run against police malfeasance, sure. P.G. County has been lacking such people on the city council pretty much forever, maybe because it's too easy for their political opponents to paint them as "soft on crime"?

But as a practical matter, firing cops for conspiring to break the law is gonna be hard enough; firing them for conspiring to selectively enforce the law might be a good bit tougher.

We might have to settle for some disciplinary action and six months with no donuts. :)

I'll also confess that my first thoughts on the subject involve the cops with rulers and ticket books, and somebody with a sniper rifle. (I understand that such a reaction isn't rational. Just confessing that it exists.)

Its probably more rational than you'd like to believe. The threat of violence makes a great motivator. **** these pieces of **** who abuse their authority and intimidate the people of whom they are supposed to be serving. I would not feel the least bit of sympathy if someone stabbed him. At least a criminal who intimidates people have a system working against them (real police/justice system). Crooked cops can hide behind the rest of the fraternity like cowards.

*note this statement is purely about the crooked ones. I have never personally had an encounter remotely similar and have had nothing but good experiences with cops, and I have the utmost respect for the good ones.

First, this whole thing is stupid, but the argument of whether or not she is on her property is invalid. So is the, 'how is she a threat?' statement. After he asked her to move back to the house she should have done so her property or not. Anyone hanging around police activity within 15-20ft could be considered a potential threat. I know I don't like people behind me when there could be a chance of an escalation I have been in situations similar and we always made sure people kept their distance and warned accordingly. Most would gladly respect what was asked. On the other hand, his fellow officers did not seem to have an issue, so in this case, he was in the minority and one of the others should have said something to him, or they all should have backed him. As far as I can tell, the arresting officer never had his back to her, the one by the car did. I'm 50/50 on this, and we don't know what she said before the filming. I really don’t care either way, I won’t lose sleep no matter what the outcome is.

Lol @ using rulers to measure distance from the curb. This video is a lot worse than the chick who got arrested. Brilliant waste of time. I like how the cop has a pink ruler. Real defender of justice.

LOL at people saying this is a waste of taxpayer money. Rochester most likely budgets revenue from "parking enforcement" into its annual proposed budget each year. LOL at the net profit. LOL at the city balance sheet.

Don't lie Des. You hate cops. :)

If he doesn't, I sure as hell do. Of course incidents like this certainly don't do much to change my opinion of them.

Some cops are bigoted against Blacks, some against Latinos, and I'm sure some are bigoted against Whites. However 99.99% of them are bigoted against non-cops no matter what color or ethnicity you are.

LOL at people saying this is a waste of taxpayer money. Rochester most likely budgets revenue from "parking enforcement" into its annual proposed budget each year. LOL at the net profit. LOL at the city balance sheet.

Comprehension fail. Where in my post did I make a single reference to tax payer money?

Unbelievable. That guy was ridiculous. And the parking ticket thing with the rulers? Epic ridiculousness. Someone should lose their job(s) for that intimidation. And we have anti-bullying committees in schools. Maybe they should have them in civil gov't too?

Archived