Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: World's oceans in 'shocking' decline

China

I know I'm getting old and kinda cynical these days, but the way I see it is this. Humanity, as a whole, simply doesn't have the will and foresight to avoid causing it's own (near)extinction and the collateral extinction of many other species, we are simply too greedy and self-centered. Many of us like to talk a big game about moderation and conservation and future generations, myself included, but it's just mostly lip service. I truly believe that we will exhaust every resource, burn every tree, and consume every animal until there is nothing left or die trying. It's just what we are.

future wars will be fought for resources and not just oil, but land, trees, fish, etc.

I never say screw the future. Liberals make it seem as though its only the USA's fault or that if only we stop our actions it will fix everything.

Well that's just stupid, because the Yellow-bellied commie librawls in this thread haven't said any such thing, instead we point globally, and but we also don't delude ourselves in pretending that the US isn't one of the greatest consuming nations on the planet. You lead by example...derp!

Tofu bacon, Tofu shrimp and soybean burgers are the wave of the future.

Yeah, who needs the super bean when we can focus on perishable food products? ND, I'm so glad you're not in charge seriously.

Haven't they ignored restrictions on overfishing for Tuna and ignored calls to stop Whaling?

The same way Saddam Hussein did, lets INVADE!!! Seriously though, Japan has gotten little more than an international wrist slap, if it were the Russians or those Chinese you'd be livid.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 03:53 PM ----------

I know I'm getting old and kinda cynical these days, but the way I see it is this. Humanity, as a whole, simply doesn't have the will and foresight to avoid causing it's own (near)extinction and the collateral extinction of many other species, we are simply too greedy and self-centered. Many of us like to talk a big game about moderation and conservation and future generations, myself included, but it's just mostly lip service. I truly believe that we will exhaust every resource, burn every tree, and consume every animal until there is nothing left or die trying. It's just what we are.

So much for the Human Progress praised by the Enlightenment.

You should change your screen name to Lorax.

My sister just happens to be an oceanographer. I forwarded her this article and I'll let you know what she says.

EDIT: I guess she was busy today. :) Her brief reply:

There are issues with the oceans, including coral reef systems, related to a

warming planet. Yes. Will these be more dire than long term overall effects of

climate change (globally), overfishing, pollution, etc? Not sure. I have grown

into a pretty major cynic in my dotage.....

pardon me if im a bit of a skeptic when it comes to news such as this. i would probably say that this is a bigger deal than global warming though.

though, its really not that difficult to be responsible for yourself and what you put into the ocean/take out of the ocean.

The tragedy of the commons idea seems to be perfectly on point as far as the oceans. These sorts of problems are why need effective international policing organization. I guess the US could unilaterally regulate the oceans if we have to, we kind of run the show out there (at least I would think so, with our unmatched fleets).

Not to be non-alarming, We are at the some of the coldest levels in 60million years?

Please move along.

UPDATE.

I’ve been browsing the IPSO site, which is very poorly designed. The most charitable thing I can say about IPSO is that it is a project by Dr Alex Rogers, to pass himself off as an international research programme. Here he is, talking about the end of the world, like all good zoologists should.

Wonder if these experts are making the same big bucks as Hansen

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/22/nasa-scientist-accused-using-celeb-status-among-environmental-groups-to-enrich/

The NASA scientist who once claimed the Bush administration tried to "silence" his global warming claims is now accused of receiving more than $1.2 million from the very environmental organizations whose agenda he advocated.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Washington, D.C., a group claims NASA is withholding documents that show James Hansen failed to comply with ethics rules and financial disclosures regarding substantial compensation he earned outside his $180,000 taxpayer-paid position as director of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/22/nasa-scientist-accused-using-celeb-status-among-environmental-groups-to-enrich/#ixzz1Q4CD7QzV

Archived