Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Casey Rabach to be the center- Per Rich Tandler

texasthunder

As bad as he's been, you don't replace a guy JUST to replace him. You have to have, you know, a replacement first. Probably something to be said about his familiarity with the line/calling things pre-snap, even if he can't back it up physically. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him one more year

noooooo.jpg

Jeez, at this point just put Monty at C, bring up Cook to back him up, move Heyer to G and let Capers play T. At least then the pressure will come from the edge like it's supposed to, and not right up the middle 0.3 seconds after the snap. Maybe if whoever is playing guard just stands up and knocks Rabach out after each snap he'll be more of a barrier to the pass rush.

It would actually be a semi-competent line, that knows how to zone block, and can somewhat keep a pass rush at bay.

Let's not go overboard.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

I would like to see Kristofer O'Dowd brought in as a UDFA. I realize he has injury "red flags", but this kid can stay healthy he is perfect for our scheme. This guy had 3rd or 4th round grades, but obviously his injury concerns scared teams away.

He's a 4 year starter at center, and versatile enough to also play guard in this zone blocking scheme as well

ABR--Anybody But Rabach.

As bad as he's been, you don't replace a guy JUST to replace him. You have to have, you know, a replacement first. Probably something to be said about his familiarity with the line/calling things pre-snap, even if he can't back it up physically. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him one more year

There is nobody available who could be worse than Casey Rabach. He is just terrible.

I don't understand the love for Rabach. But Buges, Gibbs, Zorn and Shannahan all like the guy at Center, and none of them are idiots. So there's got to be something there.

Obviously his wife must make an awesome Peach Cobbler or Rabach has the negatives of the photos Vinny used to keep his job for the past decade.

Well, I thought the Juggernaut Mike Sellers was done two seasons ago, but last season he seemed to do well. In Shanny we trust, on Rabach.

But damn, we'd have an inopportune penalty or he'd get beat once in awhile in '08, though he was still good. But it's just gone downhill a little each season, my impression anyways. I'd really like to see Casey as a vet backup at this point.

Shanahan is all about competition in camp, competition in practice. If there is another player on our roster -- Cook, Robinson, Lichtensteiger -- that outplays him (which evidently shouldn't be all that difficult given the judgment of everyone here), then that player will start. Simple as that. And if there is a free agent out there that provides good value, then that player will also get an equal shot to win the job.

It's ridiculous to assume that Shanahan has already decided who will start Week 1 BEFORE free agency has even opened, before training camp has began, before a single preseason game has been played.

Hell, if Cook/Robinson/Lichtensteiger can't beat out Rabach, then quite simply, they don't deserve to start. And anointing anyone but Rabach as the placeholder of the "#1 spot" at center on the depth chart, at this point, would be essentially unwarranted. Does anyone truly believe that Shanahan hasn't seen what we've seen, hasn't studied what we've seen from many different angles a thousand times more?

Shanahan is all about competition in camp, competition in practice. If there is another player on our roster -- Cook, Robinson, Lichtensteiger -- that outplays him (which evidently shouldn't be all that difficult given the judgment of everyone here), then that player will start. Simple as that. And if there is a free agent out there that provides good value, then that player will also get an equal shot to win the job.

It's ridiculous to assume that Shanahan has already decided who will start Week 1 BEFORE free agency has even opened, before training camp has began, before a single preseason game has been played.

Hell, if Cook/Robinson/Lichtensteiger can't beat out Rabach, then quite simply, they don't deserve to start. And anointing anyone but Rabach as the placeholder of the "#1 spot" at center on the depth chart, at this point, would be essentially unwarranted. Does anyone truly believe that Shanahan hasn't seen what we've seen, hasn't studied what we've seen from many different angles a thousand times more?

Great post, sir. :cheers:

Co-sign. Very well said.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 08:48 PM ----------

cosign, very well said

Side Note: Kudos to anyone that's sat through those. I was fine for 20 minutes or so until Erica Eleniak, at that time, exploded out of the cake ..... yeah, the rest of that flick's a blur.

Hail.

And that was a "private showing" when she came out! lol. Yeah, that was the highpoint of the film.

The main problem here is that we didn't do anything this offseason to improve the OL such that Rabach actually has competition in camp.

Two problems with your statement:

1. Other than the draft, there hasn't been an offseason.

2. Even if we drafted a C, there is no guarantee that he'd be ready to start right away.

Your best chance for replacing Rabach is either FA (Which has not happened yet) or someone who is already on the roster.

I don't understand the love for Rabach. But Buges, Gibbs, Zorn and Shannahan all like the guy at Center, and none of them are idiots. So there's got to be something there.

The line was playing better at the end of last season than the beginning. We'll see. There is also BMW, who, at least as far as I know, is still on the roster. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who fits into the 'Skins blocking scheme though.

Let's just let this play out. They have so many holes to fill, basically the entire roster minus Safety, TE and LT, that they might just not get to it this year.

I think Rabach's strength has always been in space against Mike LBs. As he has aged, and the standard defense has shifted to 3-4s with a NT either head-up or shading the gaps, he has struggled.

While I see him as weak spot on the line, I guess the FO sees at least one more draft to really address their needs, or they have a line on some FA guy. Either way, we still have to add some guys.

Assumptions... does he really know before the season even starts and where are his credible sources?

well honestly, Rabach is about the most commonly praised guy by Shanahan. Whatever the fans are seeing he doesn't.

Is it possible that our G's are the biggest problem, making Rabach look worse? Its not like brute strength is required in the ZBS, and Rabach's always been more of a finesse guy, it seems. If this is the reality, than the FO might feel okay at C for another year, with young G's on the roster and quality G's in FA.

Is it possible that our G's are the biggest problem, making Rabach look worse? Its not like brute strength is required in the ZBS, and Rabach's always been more of a finesse guy, it seems. If this is the reality, than the FO might feel okay at C for another year, with young G's on the roster and quality G's in FA.

Now dang it Conn. You had to finally go find something we disagree on.

It's possible Rabach isn't the problem. It's also possible Charlize Theron will be sharing my bed tonight. Sadly, least in the latter's case, neither's "possible" in reality.

Rabach should never be allowed onto a football field again to protect a QB. Unless that QB's name is Romo sits to pee, in which case he should be welded on a runner a couple of paces in front of said QB. Where Tony goes, the turnstile goes too.

Hail.

Now dang it Conn. You had to finally go find something we disagree on.

It's possible Rabach isn't the problem. It's also possible Charlize Theron will be sharing my bed tonight. Sadly, least in the latter's case, neither's "possible" in reality.

Rabach should never be allowed onto a football field again to protect a QB. Unless that QB's name is Romo sits to pee, in which case he should be welded on a runner a couple of paces in front of said QB. Where Tony goes, the turnstile goes too.

Hail.

:ols: Man, you're probably right :(

I'm just trying to be optimistic, but I'm better at being a realist, most of the time. haha.

I'm just trying to rationalize the Shanahan's thought process, I think. Because Rabach staying around hurts too much. Ugh.

. Does anyone truly believe that Shanahan hasn't seen what we've seen, hasn't studied what we've seen from many different angles a thousand times more?

hard to believe this isnt the case, but remember the reaction when he was signed (first player signed, as i recall) to a fat contract? ES was saying WTF? then. and that was after we'd all seen his play seemingly nosedive.

Archived