Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Casey Rabach to be the center- Per Rich Tandler

texasthunder

People hate Rabach because a few guys on this site claim that he is a bad center. They saw him get handled a few times, so he MUST suck. It does not matter that all the coaches he has had, have raved about the guy - he sucks because all the fans say he sucks. The guy is tough, he makes good calls, he's intimidating, he's a warrior....

They love him cause he's smart, he works hard, he's very coach-able, he knows what should be down in each situation, he has the desire to do well, and hell, he's even still faster than your average lineman. He can hit the second level and allow the RB to turn a 5 yard gain into a 10 yard one. Right?

But...he lacks the power. When he hits the second level he still gets knocked to the ground by linebackers. He can't hold his ground against the d-line, he can't block well in a 1 on 1 situation.

What he's still really good at, is helping out with double teams. He knows who to double team and when. But in all other areas, he just can't cut it.

...what else do we need at center? An all-world center to make us cream our pants?

What about just Montgomery? Check out the Titans game. Rabach goes down, Montgomery steps in, and somehow our o-line looks a TON better. That's not a coincidence.

They love him cause he's smart, he works hard, he's very coach-able, he knows what should be down in each situation, he has the desire to do well, and hell, he's even still faster than your average lineman. He can hit the second level and allow the RB to turn a 5 yard gain into a 10 yard one. Right?

But...he lacks the power. When he hits the second level he still gets knocked to the ground by linebackers. He can't hold his ground against the d-line, he can't block well in a 1 on 1 situation.

What he's still really good at, is helping out with double teams. He knows who to double team and when. But in all other areas, he just can't cut it.

What about just Montgomery? Check out the Titans game. Rabach goes down, Montgomery steps in, and somehow our o-line looks a TON better. That's not a coincidence.

Will Montgomery is one of our starting guards. Rabach is our center.... despite what the board "experts" decree. Are there better centers out there? Yup, but for some reason, coaches all like Rabach as our center. They must all not get it - it's a conspiracy!

Will Montgomery is one of our starting guards. Rabach is our center.... despite what the board "experts" decree. Are there better centers out there? Yup, but for some reason, coaches all like Rabach as our center. They must all not get it - it's a conspiracy!

And if we pick up a guard in free agency, Will Montgomery is no longer a starting guard, and he can move over to center.

And if we pick up a guard in free agency, Will Montgomery is no longer a starting guard, and he can move over to center.

If Shanny and co. want to do this, then fine! I'm down. I don't think he's a beast, but zone linemen usually aren't. Hence why replace him?

People hate Rabach because a few guys on this site claim that he is a bad center. They saw him get handled a few times, so he MUST suck. It does not matter that all the coaches he has had, have raved about the guy - he sucks because all the fans say he sucks. The guy is tough, he makes good calls, he's intimidating, he's a warrior....what else do we need at center? An all-world center to make us cream our pants?

Come now, if he's NOT a bad center, then please explain why our O line sucked so bad last year?

Misleading title. Tandler is as much in the dark as everyone else.

I expect Rabach will be in camp, but I also expect that there will be competition. If someone steps up, I would think it would be likely that Rabach would then be unemployed.

Agreed.

This entire thread is based off of Tandler's opinion, and a lot of people here are treating it as if the words came from M.Shanahan's mouth.

I was very embarrassed for our team last season watching Rabach play every week. But, I think that I would absolutely keel over if Rabach was starting for us day one come this season.

All I can say is go look at film. All season long Rabach was getting beat or run over. In the Titans game Rabach went out hurt and Will Montgomery did a better job at stopping the rush up the center.

Just saying.

I'm not sure why you're such a Rabach apologist. And why you're trying to make light of the general consensus that Rabach is a below average Center. He's the Kareem Moore of the Center position. Moore couldn't tackle. Rabach can't block.

If Shanny and co. want to do this, then fine! I'm down. I don't think he's a beast, but zone linemen usually aren't. Hence why replace him?

We switch blocking schemes depending on the play.

Better isn't always better. Sometimes "consistency" and "familiarity" are more important.

Familiarity is important for o-line cohesion, the longer the lines together, the less likely there will be missed assignments. That's all well and good, except if one of the lineman can't handle his assignment. Rabach can't handle his assignment.

I mean, you watched the games last season, you saw how he played. How are you forgetting this now?

Rabach would routinely step on QB's feet, he'd often get blown up into the backfield forcing our RB's to make a move 2 yards behind the LoS which rarely results in good yardage, he'd often get pushed backwards on passing plays resulting in the pocket collapsing which forced a scramble or poor throw.

You watched the games, do you not remember any of this? Do you not remember when he was injured and our o-line suddenly looked much better?

Sucks that the center in the draft was taken right before our pick. We need a new center so bad. I mean how could Mcnabb be expected to perform at a high level last year when Rabach was getting pushed right back into him every other play.

I'm not sure why you're such a Rabach apologist. And why you're trying to make light of the general consensus that Rabach is a below average Center. He's the Kareem Moore of the Center position. Moore couldn't tackle. Rabach can't block.

We switch blocking schemes depending on the play.

Familiarity is important for o-line cohesion, the longer the lines together, the less likely there will be missed assignments. That's all well and good, except if one of the lineman can't handle his assignment. Rabach can't handle his assignment.

I mean, you watched the games last season, you saw how he played. How are you forgetting this now?

Rabach would routinely step on QB's feet, he'd often get blown up into the backfield forcing our RB's to make a move 2 yards behind the LoS which rarely results in good yardage, he'd often get pushed backwards on passing plays resulting in the pocket collapsing which forced a scramble or poor throw.

You watched the games, do you not remember any of this? Do you not remember when he was injured and our o-line suddenly looked much better?

:read:

Forget about me for a minute....we are talking about Rabach, not why I want to have his baby, or whatever. :thumbsup:

Rabach is serviceable, that is all I'm saying. I don't think half of the people on this board really even understand football anyway....I couldn't care less. Harping on my football shmartz is not addressing our O-line in the least, It's only away to dismiss what I am saying out of hand.

If Shanny thinks the guy is a loser, he will cut him. Even if he makes him a back-up, that's like saying: "be ready, we will need you at some point." There are no back-ups in the NFL....Not For Long!

Yes, consistency is very important. How players fit a scheme is important. Picking up free agents that are "sure fire ringers," has generally not worked out. It's a way of going backwards instead of forwards.

I trust our coaches, If other people don't, that's cool with me! :point2sky

It was Casey's fault. He infected the rest of the line with "suck."

Are you really believing that the interior O line didn't suck last year? Who was the main culprit responsible for that?

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 05:01 PM ----------

Picking up free agents that are "sure fire ringers," has generally not worked out. It's a way of going backwards instead of forwards.
I would agree if we're talking vets, but how about UDFA?? They may not start but we need people that can compete with him.

Right now we are in trouble with the C we have penciled in.

Are you really believing that the interior O line didn't suck last year? Who was the main culprit responsible for that?

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 05:01 PM ----------

I would agree if we're talking vets, but how about UDFA?? They may not start but we need people that can compete with him.

Right now we are in trouble with the C we have penciled in.

The interior of our O-line was terrible. All I'm saying is....if Shanny wants Rabach as a starter, I will have nothing bad to say about it. The man has won two SB's. He seems to have an eye for talent. I would trust his judgment on this.

:read:

Forget about me for a minute....we are talking about Rabach, not why I want to have his baby, or whatever. :thumbsup:

Hahaha, sure why not.

Rabach is serviceable, that is all I'm saying. I don't think half of the people on this board really even understand football anyway....I couldn't care less. Harping on my football shmartz is not addressing our O-line in the least, It's only away to dismiss what I am saying out of hand.

If Shanny thinks the guy is a loser, he will cut him. Even if he makes him a back-up, that's like saying: "be ready, we will need you at some point." There are no back-ups in the NFL....Not For Long!

Yes, consistency is very important. How players fit a scheme is important. Picking up free agents that are "sure fire ringers," has generally not worked out. It's a way of going backwards instead of forwards.

I'm fine with Rabach as a backup. His veteran leadership would be great for the younger lineman on our team. I think he can lead by example with his work effort on the practice field, but he can't lead by example with his production in games.

I'm positive Shanny won't cut him until the last possible moment, all the reports said he wanted to cut Heyer, but when BMW went down and Hicks was promoted to starting RG, Heyer had to stay on the team. I agree with this. Even if Rabach under performs, I don't think he should be cut until the Pre-Season ends.

I'm not all about signing the big name FA center. I like the idea of home growing our own center. The issue I have with what the article implies, is that there is no competition on the roster for Rabach and that the coaching staff is cool with that. I think the article is wrong there. I don't see how the coaching staff could possibly feel as if Rabach doesn't need any camp competition.

I trust our coaches, If other people don't, that's cool with me! :point2sky

I think the big issue here, is a slight miscommunication. The article should not be taken as gospel faith that Shanny/Allen are fine with Rabach as the surefire starter next season. I think most of us (me included) are yelling about Rabach being bad, which implies the article should be re-evaluated for accuracy. Since if even the masses know that he's grossly underperforming, than surely Shanny/Allen do as well.

I think you see our stance as a direct critique of Shanny/Allen instead of a critique of the article.

Hahaha, sure why not.

I'm fine with Rabach as a backup. His veteran leadership would be great for the younger lineman on our team. I think he can lead by example with his work effort on the practice field, but he can't lead by example with his production in games.

I'm positive Shanny won't cut him until the last possible moment, all the reports said he wanted to cut Heyer, but when BMW went down and Hicks was promoted to starting RG, Heyer had to stay on the team. I agree with this. Even if Rabach under performs, I don't think he should be cut until the Pre-Season ends.

I'm not all about signing the big name FA center. I like the idea of home growing our own center. The issue I have with what the article implies, is that there is no competition on the roster for Rabach and that the coaching staff is cool with that. I think the article is wrong there. I don't see how the coaching staff could possibly feel as if Rabach doesn't need any camp competition.

I think the big issue here, is a slight miscommunication. The article should not be taken as gospel faith that Shanny/Allen are fine with Rabach as the surefire starter next season. I think most of us (me included) are yelling about Rabach being bad, which implies the article should be re-evaluated for accuracy. Since if even the masses know that he's grossly underperforming, than surely Shanny/Allen do as well.

I think you see our stance as a direct critique of Shanny/Allen instead of a critique of the article.

As far as the article goes, I agree that the author cannot know this. I also believe that not many people on here are even half way decent, talent evaluators and furthermore, that no one knows what Shanny thinks about our center.

Archived