Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Casey Rabach to be the center- Per Rich Tandler

texasthunder

Why are you shocked that our o-line will be pretty much the same as last season? Given the lockout issue, I'd be shocked if we made any real renovations to our o-line. Hell, even with no lockout issues, I'd be surprised to see anything but incremental alterations in the o-line, mostly due to replacing guys as they age out.

Huh? There was the draft, and there's still going to be free agency before the season starts whenever the lockout ends, either with a new CBA or by court order. Unfortunately we didn't draft any OL before the 7th round, but I see no reason why we couldn't sign at least two offensive lineman capable of competing for a starting job.

Word also has it that this offensive line sucks as is. We don't need a RT. This team doesn't even overpay anymore. We're a losing team, that spends smartly now, top tier FA's are no no, I'm almost certain of that. We're ****ed on the interior line. Every single position.

Thank you. How they get "adequate" out of those guys, I have no idea. What's that based on? Ryan Torain's two or three good games? McNabb's consistently finding the open patch of grass? What did they enable, exactly?

Little too early in the process for full rant mode, although Shanny's praise for Rabach is distrubing. I'm hoping the whole OL captain thing was a sending off for him, so to speak. Now Rabach can finally play the role he should've been for the last few years. Veteran Depth. I'm literally praying this is the case, and considering I'm agnostic....let's just say I've spent 16 Sundays a year watching this joke of an offense. 3 QBs later, nothing has changed. Its enough to drive a fan to desperate measures.

Rabach must NOT be allowed to start. I don't care about line calls, I don't care about winning games(Which we aren't anyway). Get someone out there who can physically handle the center position in the modern NFL, and let him learn.

Penguin will save the angry rant it for opening day, if needed. (This is me holding back lol)

As bad as he's been, you don't replace a guy JUST to replace him. You have to have, you know, a replacement first. Probably something to be said about his familiarity with the line/calling things pre-snap, even if he can't back it up physically. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him one more year

You don't play a vet who shows, on a weekly basis, that he can no longer perform at the NFL level. You do replace them with a younger guy who also likely cannot perform at an NFL level today but at least has a chance of improving rather than declining so may be able to tomorrow.

Making the calls is easy when Rabach is in - the pressure is coming up the middle.

I thought as much. Dumb decision. I don't care how 'smart' people think Casey is. He MAY have the intellect, but he does not possess the physical ability any longer. Whomever the QB is this coming season, I sure hope they get used to constant pressure in their face. This is another reason I would not mind us looking at VY. We will need a QB that can scramble.

Of all the free agents, Jamaal Brown is the best of those we can get on the OL and even at big money is needed by the Skins. It's either him or Heyer and one good game at guard still won't make Heyer a starter on any team at tackle. Kalil is gone with the franchise tag and has already signed. Ryan Harris will be tendered. Davin Joseph will be tendered. There is no way the Skins get the top tier interior OL they need unless they give up way more than the interior OL are worth. Of the UDFA's who won't be ready or the FA's that could be, the Skins face tough competition to get them. Here are some. I know there are others.

Centers: UDFA's

Kris O'Dowd, C, USC. Age: 23. Injury concerns, but the best of the rest

Zane Taylor, C, Utah, Age: 23.

Tim Barnes, C, Missouri. Age: 23.

Center: FA's

Lyle Sendlein, C, Cardinals. Age: 27.

Jonathan Goodwin, C, Saints. Age: 32.

Guard FA's:

Harvey Dahl, G, Falcons. Age: 30.

Justin Blalock, G, Falcons. Age: 27.

Chris Chester, G, Ravens. Age: 28.

Mike Brisiel, G, Texans. Age: 28.

David Baas, G/C, 49ers. Age: 29.

Tackle FA's

Jammal Brown, OT, Redskins. Age: 30. The best of those we have a chance to sign.

Tyson Clabo, OT, Falcons. Age: 29.

Marshal Yanda, OT/G, Ravens. Age: 26.

Jared Gaither, OT, Ravens. Age: 25.

But, even if the Skins sign two or three of these guys, the Skins are in the same predicament they've been in for years. That is, any injury on the OL and this house of cards, even second-rate cards, comes crashing down and will be the excuse du jour for a terrible season.

I for one would like to see Jammal Brown come back, I'm surprised the media hasn't dedicated any time to even talking about him or the RT situation

agree. apparently the hold up could be money, as in, hes asking too much. hard to believe that he'd get a huge contract from anyone else, but you never know. even if harris is on shannys radar, you cant have enough quality linemen. especially decent tackles.

I think it's very interesting (and somewhat shocking) that we'll be returning all (or close to all) of our OL from last year.

UDFA's also have not been tapped, so I think if Rich is right it would be beyond shocking that the Redskins would return one and all of the OL.

Inside sources also tell me that a new wrinkle will be added to the offensive line blocking scheme this year.

Casey Rabach will be required to hold a roll of tickets at center to hand out to opposing Dlinemen.

Because before you go through a turnstile, you usually get a ticket.

Inside sources also tell me that a new wrinkle will be added to the offensive line blocking scheme this year.

Casey Rabach will be required to hold a roll of tickets at center to hand out to opposing Dlinemen.

Welllll hopefully that will slow them down a little.

I would like to see Kristofer O'Dowd brought in as a UDFA. I realize he has injury "red flags", but this kid can stay healthy he is perfect for our scheme. This guy had 3rd or 4th round grades, but obviously his injury concerns scared teams away.

He's a 4 year starter at center, and versatile enough to also play guard in this zone blocking scheme as well

What is his injury history? Depending on the type of injury, he may be a good risk.

Also, I think there are several Cs that went undrafted that we should bring in. In particular, I think there is a kid from Syracuse who is supposed to be pretty good (Bartholomew, I think?)

Even if true, Rabach isnt a horrible option for one season, but thats about it

Rabach spent all of last season, and part of the previous two seasons sitting in our quarterback's lap or tackling our own running back...

He is a great teammate, but doesn't have the size or strength to go up against DTs or NGs....

Rabach spent all of last season, and part of the previous two seasons sitting in our quarterback's lap or tackling our own running back...

He is a great teammate, but doesn't have the size or strength to go up against DTs or NGs....

Yeah, I think that "option for one season" was last season. I don't need to see anything more to convince me that this guy is no longer starting C material.

And to ConnSkins who mentioned G play also contributing to the poor play of the C, I somewhat agree with you. Only difference is that I believe BOTH are in need of an overhaul. Simply improving at G won't get Casey to perform at an above-average level, I think.

He's here all night ladies and gentlemen. Tip your waiter!

:ols:

Notice to the OP, MIGHT [not] BE, is not WILL [NOT] BE.

If you're that ****ing stupid to not realize "It [does not] appear that..." signifies speculation, YOU ARE HOPELESS.

It doesn’t appear that they are inclined to replace center Casey Rabach, who will turn 34 early in the season, but an eventual successor needs to be identified.

I don't understand the love for Rabach. But Buges, Gibbs, Zorn and Shannahan all like the guy at Center, and none of them are idiots. So there's got to be something there.

The line was playing better at the end of last season than the beginning. We'll see. There is also BMW, who, at least as far as I know, is still on the roster. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who fits into the 'Skins blocking scheme though.

Let's just let this play out. They have so many holes to fill, basically the entire roster minus Safety, TE and LT, that they might just not get to it this year.

People hate Rabach because a few guys on this site claim that he is a bad center. They saw him get handled a few times, so he MUST suck. It does not matter that all the coaches he has had, have raved about the guy - he sucks because all the fans say he sucks. The guy is tough, he makes good calls, he's intimidating, he's a warrior....what else do we need at center? An all-world center to make us cream our pants?

I don't know, I see with my eyes every week that he steps on the QB's foot, directly causing a broken play, he's pushed back into the QB, thus opposing DLine collapses the pocket, RBs can't depend on him opening holes because he's the plug in the hole. Need I go on? I don't care what the coaches say, his play is piss poor and coaches/team are unwilling to seriously upgrade OLine for years. It's continuing under this regime. How can we say that we have an adequate OLine when we have poor draft picks (Not Williams) and other team's cast offs. Until we get some quality draftees in and some FA signings who want to come here instead of any other team, we will be in the same boat.

I think Rabach's strength has always been in space against Mike LBs. As he has aged, and the standard defense has shifted to 3-4s with a NT either head-up or shading the gaps, he has struggled.

While I see him as weak spot on the line, I guess the FO sees at least one more draft to really address their needs, or they have a line on some FA guy. Either way, we still have to add some guys.

Except did you see him last season? He was getting trucked by linebackers. It was embarrassing.

People hate Rabach because a few guys on this site claim that he is a bad center. They saw him get handled a few times, so he MUST suck. It does not matter that all the coaches he has had, have raved about the guy - he sucks because all the fans say he sucks. The guy is tough, he makes good calls, he's intimidating, he's a warrior....what else do we need at center? An all-world center to make us cream our pants?

When Monty comes in, against a pretty good D line in Tennessee, and performs much better than Rabach, that's what makes me believe he's on his way out.

Archived