Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Casey Rabach to be the center- Per Rich Tandler

texasthunder

The first issue is to either re-sign Jamaal Brown or find another starter at right tackle. It doesn’t appear that they are inclined to replace center Casey Rabach, who will turn 34 early in the season, but an eventual successor needs to be identified. Trent Williams, of course, is set at left tackle and Kory Lichtensteiger and Will Montgomery are adequate at guard. They could bring in some free agents to challenge Erik Cook, Selvish Capers, Artis Hicks, and Stephon Heyer for reserve and developmental spots.

http://www.csnwashington.com/05/09/11/Decisions-await-end-of-lockout-for-Redsk/landing_redskins_loud3r.html?blockID=519171&feedID=272

We're not targeting a center in free agency. Lich and Monty have both played center before, and Lich did well against Tennessee. Word has it we're targeting a right tackle and right guard and that would lend itself to moving Lich over to center. We may keep Rabach as a backup.

We're not targeting a center in free agency. Lich and Monty have both played center before, and Lich did well against Tennessee. Word has it we're targeting a right tackle and right guard and that would lend itself to moving Lich over to center. We may keep Rabach as a backup.

Word also has it that this offensive line sucks as is. We don't need a RT. This team doesn't even overpay anymore. We're a losing team, that spends smartly now, top tier FA's are no no, I'm almost certain of that. We're ****ed on the interior line. Every single position.

Word also has it that this offensive line sucks as is. We don't need a RT. This team doesn't even overpay anymore. We're a losing team, that spends smartly now, top tier FA's are no no, I'm almost certain of that. We're ****ed on the interior line. Every single position.

Agreed that it sucks as is. We do need a right tackle, since we're not going to overpay Brown, and he wants LT money. Ryan Clady is a free agent this year, a right tackle, and a Shanahan draftee. More than likely we'll be signing him. If we're targeting a guard also, then we move Lich over to center, and Rabach goes bye-bye.

Atogwe was a top-tier free agent, and we signed him. So we do target them, as long as they sign to a reasonable deal and fit our style. Clady fits all of that.

EDIT: Ryan Harris, not Clady.

No competent pro QB. No competent pro centre. Heck knows what the guards either side of said chump in the middle will be.

Yup, no surprise, but this is going to be another LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG year of Redskin football.

On the plus side, other areas of the team are steadily being addressed for the long haul.

Hail.

Agreed that it sucks as is. We do need a right tackle, since we're not going to overpay Brown, and he wants LT money. Ryan Clady is a free agent this year, a right tackle, and a Shanahan draftee. More than likely we'll be signing him. If we're targeting a guard also, then we move Lich over to center, and Rabach goes bye-bye.

EDIT: Ryan Harris, not Clady.

If we sign a T and G, play Lich at C and Monty at the other guard, I'd be 1,000x happier with that.

If we sign a T and G, play Lich at C and Monty at the other guard, I'd be 1,000x happier with that.

I'd like to see that, but the other way around. I thought Monty looked the best center we've had in a LONG time that TN game last year. And Lichtensteiger really came on at guard the later end of the year as opposed to the way he started it.

Hail.

I'd like to see that, but the other way around. I thought Monty looked the best center we've had in a LONG time that TN game last year. And Lichtensteiger really came on at guard the later end of the year as opposed to the way he started it.

Hail.

OK, my mistake. I thought that Lich played center and Monty stayed at guard against Tennessee. Either way, though, my point still stands.

Misleading title. Tandler is as much in the dark as everyone else.

I expect Rabach will be in camp, but I also expect that there will be competition. If someone steps up, I would think it would be likely that Rabach would then be unemployed.

Were going to have to do something about the middle of our line. Our outside zone stretch run plays were very effective. We couldn't get anything going on the inside. That's huge when it comes to the redzone.

I'd be fine, with either Monty or Lich at Center, even if Monty seems to have the edge so far. To me, the most important thing in an OL is the cohesion you can have within the line than pure raw talent on each player.

Thus, even as weird as it, I wouldn't mind having something with T. Williams, Lich, Monty, Cook, Capers/Hurt. Sure, that look damn young and unexperienced, but that could be a core a players that would grow altogether which can only be a big plus.

There's not really a need of signing some big names FA here, except we really screwed up on our OL draftees lately. I'm not gonna **** if we sign someone like Ryan Harris, but it wouldn't turn me out, if we just go with that kind of line. We're rebuilding, and I'm ok with that.

I think it's very interesting (and somewhat shocking) that we'll be returning all (or close to all) of our OL from last year.

Why are you shocked that our o-line will be pretty much the same as last season? Given the lockout issue, I'd be shocked if we made any real renovations to our o-line. Hell, even with no lockout issues, I'd be surprised to see anything but incremental alterations in the o-line, mostly due to replacing guys as they age out.

Hail.

I agree...I loved that lineup (with Heyer playing well at guard) vs. Tennessee. Monty was very impressive.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 02:28 PM ----------

Why are you shocked that our o-line will be pretty much the same as last season? Given the lockout issue, I'd be shocked if we made any real renovations to our o-line. Hell, even with no lockout issues, I'd be surprised to see anything but incremental alterations in the o-line, mostly due to replacing guys as they age out.

I guess it seemed like the position group that was most likely to be revamped as of week 17 of last year. I think many of us logically assumed that through the draft, trades, and FA we'd turn over 2 of the 5 positions.

I think it's very interesting (and somewhat shocking) that we'll be returning all (or close to all) of our OL from last year.

It's just unbelievable to me and I suspect many others here that Rabach would even sniff the field this year. I'm just at a loss for words as to what they see in him. Clearly he did not perform that well last years that an upgrade is not even being considered.

This would seem logical to me. RT either has to be a resigning of Brown or a equal (or perhaps upgrade) signing of Harris. I'd be happy with either one of the price is right. Harris may actually be the better option but letting Brown walk after giving up draft picks is going to sting.

RG is another position that should be addressed in FA. Davin Joseph is obviously the name that has been floated around a lot. If those two positions are settled we've gone from a below average to an above average unit. Monty can either slide over to LG and Licht can take C or vice versa. Clearly the coaches would have a better idea of who fits where better at this point.

Our depth would still be questionable but at least it's young. Seems to me this story is a shot in the dark, Tandler just knows he can't be proven wrong at this point.

Archived