Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - The Fix - Newt Gingrich to announce presidential bid

@DCGoldPants

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/neqwt-gingrich-to-announce-for-president-wednesday/2011/05/09/AFnNXbYG_blog.html

Posted at 10:56 AM ET, 05/09/2011 Newt Gingrich to announce presidential bid

By Chris Cillizza

copy_1299195360.jpg?uuid=F1v8TEXvEeCRrARELNNoqA

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will announce his plans through Facebook and Twitter. (Mike Stewart - AP) Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will announce his plans to pursue the presidency in 2012 on Wednesday, according to spokesman Rick Tyler.

Gingrich will make the announcement first on Facebook and Twitter — a bow to the power of social media in politics — and then will sit down with conservative television personality Sean Hannity on Wednesday night for an interview. Gingrich is expected to make his first formal speech as a candidate on Friday at the Georgia Republican party convention.

The announcement is not terribly surprising as Gingrich has been eyeing the race for months and went through a bit of a false start in early March when one top aide said he was in the race only to be contradicted by other members of Gingrich’s leadership team.

For Gingrich, the presidential bid is a culmination of a long political career that saw him rise from a backbencher in Congress to the architect of the 1994 Republican revolution that saw the GOP take control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

Gingrich was elected Speaker of the new Republican majority and touted as a potential presidential candidate. But, four years later Gingrich left the House amid a tumultous personal life and following wrong-headed predictions about the 1998 election.

Since that time he has built an empire of outside groups — organized under the umbrella of an entity known as American Solutions — designed to forward his policy ideas as well as raise money for conservative causes.

Gingrich’s entrance into the race likely kicks off a period of frenetic activity in the 2012 sweepstakes. Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is expected to make a final decision on the race by the end of the month — if not sooner — and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman is moving toward a bid.

Both former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty have formed exploratory committees and are expected to formally enter the race in the near-term.

By Chris Cillizza | 10:56 AM ET, 05/09/2011

Why is this guy wasting his time?

1) Because he has an ego as big as the sky (just like every Presidential Candidate of both parties)

2) Because he can see that the GOP field is very, very weak, so weak that even Newt might be able to win the nomination..

3) Because Obama is vulnerable.

Newt is loathsome, but he is not a joke like Trump.

He's a Neo-Con and will have a lot of trouble with the Tea-Party base, they'll not forget his past so easily.

You're right, he's not a joke like Trump, he's a whole other type of joke as no one is going to forget that he was forced to resign as Speaker of the House.

Newt brings as much policy substance to the table as any candidate in either party. He's written extensively about healthcare reform, the environment, national security and probably more.

People knock him because he's not likable and they still hate both the impeachment stuff from the 90's and his own hypocrisy. That's a huge hurdle to overcome. But, if he plays the older, wiser and regretful card, he may get the benefit of the doubt. He also has to overcome legit concerns from the tea party. He's not exactly one of them.

I actually think he's waited too long. He'll enter at about the same time that Daniels, Trump, Huntsman, Romney and maybe Huckabee (or even Bolton). They'll be sucking too much oxygen out of the room. He may have a hard time "helping" Republicans get to know him again.

Newt brings as much policy substance to the table as any candidate in either party. He's written extensively about healthcare reform, the environment, national security and probably more.

People knock him because he's not likable and they still hate both the impeachment stuff from the 90's and his own hypocrisy. That's a huge hurdle to overcome. But, if he plays the older, wiser and regretful card, he may get the benefit of the doubt. He also has to overcome legit concerns from the tea party. He's not exactly one of them.

I actually think he's waited too long. He'll enter at about the same time that Daniels, Trump, Huntsman, Romney and maybe Huckabee (or even Bolton). They'll be sucking too much oxygen out of the room. He may have a hard time "helping" Republicans get to know him again.

I think he sucks, and if he gets the nomination, Obama is a shoe in.

So I'm for Newt.

Given his multiple admitted affairs, divorces (including meeting with your then wife to discuss divorce terms while she is in hospital for cancer surgery), and his conversion from Southern Baptist to Catholicism, why would he will get a single vote from the Conservative values block?

How can there not be a million candidates on the right better than this PoS? Seriously.

I think he sucks, and if he gets the nomination, Obama is a shoe in.

So I'm for Newt.

Don't take things for granted. Second term elections almost always end up being referenda of the sitting presidency. In this case, it's clear that R's will be motivated. I also don't think moderates will go for the morals argument, considering they basically told Newt to get over Clinton's moral issues in the 90's.

Also, Newt is a very sharp - actually gifted - orator. Nobody in either party wants to be against him one-on-one in a debate. Obama certainly doesn't because Newt will be able to criticize the details of Obama's plans. That's the disadvantage of having to run for re-election. It's mostly about you, so you're in defense mode, not offense mode. The R's challenger will be on the offensive, for sure, and Newt will be great at that. if given the opportunity.

3) Because Obama is vulnerable.

What do you mean by this?

He's coming off of the heels of killing OBL. I would think, if anything, he's less vulnerable now than he was before that. Of course, the economy may still act as an albatross around his neck. Perhaps, that's where he is "vulnerable".

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 12:57 PM ----------

Also, Newt is a very sharp - actually gifted - orator. Nobody in either party wants to be against him one-on-one in a debate. Obama certainly doesn't because Newt will be able to criticize the details of Obama's plans. That's the disadvantage of having to run for re-election. It's mostly about you, so you're in defense mode, not offense mode. The R's challenger will be on the offensive, for sure, and Newt will be great at that. if given the opportunity.

I hate Newt and think he would be horrible for the country as Prez, but this post is 100% spot-on.

I tend to agree. He's a much stronger candidate than many give him credit, and he is a strong speaker and debater.

I see Newt as highly intelligent and while I don't always agree with him, he is a throwback to what conservatism used to be. That which involves a brain.

He's coming off of the heels of killing OBL. I would think, if anything, he's less vulnerable now than he was before that. Of course, the economy may still act as an albatross around his neck. Perhaps, that's where he is "vulnerable".

Barring a recovery most aren't seeing over the next 15 months, Obama will be defending the worst economy during a presidential election since 1980. That's the only story that will matter by November, 2012. The rest of the debate will be on the margins (unfortunately).

I see Newt as highly intelligent and while I don't always agree with him, he is a throwback to what conservatism used to be. That which involves a brain.

He may need to pretend he doesn't have one to succeed among today's conservative voters. :ols:

I always thought the winner of the 2008 election would be a one-term President.

I haven't seen anything to change my original thought but the idea of this scumbag in the White House really has me hoping that I'm wrong.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 01:26 PM ----------

He may need to pretend he doesn't have one to succeed among today's conservative voters. :ols:

:ols:

Too true.

Barring a recovery most aren't seeing over the next 15 months, Obama will be defending the worst economy during a presidential election since 1980. That's the only story that will matter by November, 2012. The rest of the debate will be on the margins (unfortunately).

Not worse than 2008. Just saying.

He's coming off of the heels of killing OBL

And Bush I had Desert Storm.

But by the time the election rolled around, everybody had forgotten it. And they voted on "It's the Economy, Stupid."

Archived