Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Job Hunting & Interviewing Tips

zoony

Can you overdress for an interview?

I have one tomorrow. It would literally be almost an 100% pay raise over what I make now, plus I'll be spending about 1/10th of what I spend now on gas. So yeah, pretty big day for me tomorrow. My brother has been working there for a few months now. For his interview he just wore some slacks and a dress shirt. No tie or jacket. Should I follow his example or should I dress it up and wear a nice suit?

No, I don't think you can overdress at all. Unless you were specifically told what to wear.

If they've left it open, and you show up in a suit, I think you're making a statement of how interested you are and how seriously you are taking this opportunity. But don't leave it at that. Tell them.

That passion you're showing in the post above... make sure you articulate that in the interview as well. Good luck man

Can you overdress for an interview?

I have one tomorrow. It would literally be almost an 100% pay raise over what I make now, plus I'll be spending about 1/10th of what I spend now on gas. So yeah, pretty big day for me tomorrow. My brother has been working there for a few months now. For his interview he just wore some slacks and a dress shirt. No tie or jacket. Should I follow his example or should I dress it up and wear a nice suit?

If you dress one step up from the typical dress of the office, you'll look good and feel good. I'd wear a suit, assuming it's fashionable and fits.

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I'm going with the suit. Got my haircut and my pen and pad. I'm good to go.

I think I'm gonna be fine. Any job I've ever interviewed for I've gotten. I'm a good interviewee. Never been a corporate job like this but I'm still confident. Pray for me though, lol.

Well my interview went fairly well I think. I was there for two hours. First 45 minutes was with the department head where we basically talked straight business. The last hour and 15 minutes was with the big boss. There we discussed some business but it was mainly chit chat--everything from the military (her husband is also ex-Army), to travelling Europe and her fav cities to homeless veterans to the health insurance industry to whether Presidents Day is a legitimate holiday to get off work for. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Two hours seems like a long time to me. And I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

She said it's between me and another guy. I told her that we could take it to the octagon if she wanted, which thank God made her laugh. She said he has more relevant work experience and I have much more education. She said she was really impressed with my educational accomplishments (deans list, honor society, magna cum laude, etc). I told her that I sacraficed potential work experience for an education, and now it's hard to get a job because I don't have any work experience. That I just need someone to give me an oopportunity. She agreed with all of that and said I'll be better off in the long run.

However it goes, the whole thing makes me feel more confident going forward. There's no reason I need to be working in a restaurant. We'll see what happens.

Again thanks for the advice and thanks for the thread Zoony.

GACOLB, any luck?

I have a situation that I'd appreciate some feedback on:

- In September, I landed a pretty decent gig with a Property Management company in their Marketing Dept with 3 other people. It's getting to the point where I'm pretty comfortable with my duties, coworkers, and my expectations. I also make a decent wage for being a recent college grad (32,000).

Well, an old friend of mine just got a job at the SnagAJob headquarters in Richmond, VA. She loves it - the perks are incredible (free lunch every day, massage therapist, laundry pickup, gym membership, etc etc), and the company is growing steadily. I originally was inquiring about a marketing position, but it had been filled by the point in time. However, she recommended that I go into sales (which I have an extensive background). Starting salary is $35,000 + comm (roughly 10-15,000 first year).

I have a second phone interview today after my day at work here is done. Could anybody give some personal advice?

1. I'm scared to possibly jump ship in this economy - is it a smart move? Quitting a job SUCKS and I've never done cold-calling before. But, training is extensive and its B2B...

2. Should I tell my current employer the situation, or leave them in the dark until I officially 'accept' the other position (if hired)?

I hate group interviews, I have one on Thursday for Wells Fargo. Would much prefer to look someone eye to eye.

I also had one last Thursday for Big Brothers Big Sisters, which went well I think. They said they have to interview other candidates, which always worries me, but I am hoping to hear back from them either today or tomorrow. Hopefully I will go from part-time to full-time employed soon.

GACOLB, any luck?

I have a situation that I'd appreciate some feedback on:

- In September, I landed a pretty decent gig with a Property Management company in their Marketing Dept with 3 other people. It's getting to the point where I'm pretty comfortable with my duties, coworkers, and my expectations. I also make a decent wage for being a recent college grad (32,000).

Well, an old friend of mine just got a job at the SnagAJob headquarters in Richmond, VA. She loves it - the perks are incredible (free lunch every day, massage therapist, laundry pickup, gym membership, etc etc), and the company is growing steadily. I originally was inquiring about a marketing position, but it had been filled by the point in time. However, she recommended that I go into sales (which I have an extensive background). Starting salary is $35,000 + comm (roughly 10-15,000 first year).

I have a second phone interview today after my day at work here is done. Could anybody give some personal advice?

1. I'm scared to possibly jump ship in this economy - is it a smart move? Quitting a job SUCKS and I've never done cold-calling before. But, training is extensive and its B2B...

2. Should I tell my current employer the situation, or leave them in the dark until I officially 'accept' the other position (if hired)?

1. A second interview is a great sign.

2. Absolutely do not quit your current job until you have an official, final job offer in your hand. There's no reason to tell your current employer until you have accepted the new job and know that you will be quitting.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a question - do people ever check references if you're not a top candidate for the job? I had an interview yesterday and they said they will be interviewing ppl through next week then would let me know something in the next two weeks. Then if I'm a top candidate I'd have to come in for an in-person interview before they could hire me. I was kind of surprised to find out they already contacted my references today. Is it normal to contact references for everyone you interview? (as opposed to everyone you are seriously considering)

I'll let someone else answer that, as I rarely if ever check references. Why would I call someone they told me to call? I often do research on candidates but it rarely involves calling their references.

My gut though says it is a good sign. Some companies call and check references as a matter of policy, so there is a chance they might be going through the motions for all candidates. Then again, they could be trying to decide between a final 2 or 3. Good luck!

The short answer is yes - some larger companies apparently have HR folks looking for time to fill and will call references even if you're not the first-choice candidate. It's bizarre, but large corporations do lots of stupid things.

However, in most companies it would be a very positive sign.

• 4 months later...

Haha, well I got the job I was referring to above and I ended up accepting it against my better judgement bc I had no other options at the time. Thankfully I've had some luck in getting interviews for other stuff and I have a new question...

I have a 2nd interview coming up on Friday. It's a more casual interview and it's my chance to really figure out if this place is a good fit. Anyway, one of my biggest issues with my current job is that the culture/attitude here sucks. They pretty much have put the fear of god in everyone not to **** up, not to ask questions of the wrong people, etc. This is completely different from anything I've experienced before and I don't like it at all. I want to make sure the next place I go isn't like this, but I don't know how to get at the issue without sounding like I'm a slacker who ****s up a lot. Any idea how to get at the issue of "do you put the fear of god in your employees" without saying that outright?

Ask how they go about their performance reviews (what are the policies/procedures). Ask the person who would be your boss how he would describe his management style. Ask the people you meet with to describe the overall corporate atmosphere and level of communication.

Ask how they go about their performance reviews (what are the policies/procedures). Ask the person who would be your boss how he would describe his management style. Ask the people you meet with to describe the overall corporate atmosphere and level of communication.

Thanks. I usually ask the management style question and find that helpful, actually. Turned me off of a job I interviewed for a couple weeks ago.

Oh yeah, I got my job as well. Took about a month to hear back from them. I had all but given up. Now I work in an office for the first time in my life and it's actually busy about one day a week. I feel like I've started the slow march to death. But whatever. The paycheck is nice. I live for the weekend.

Oh yeah, I got my job as well. Took about a month to hear back from them. I had all but given up. Now I work in an office for the first time in my life and it's actually busy about one day a week. I feel like I've started the slow march to death. But whatever. The paycheck is nice. I live for the weekend.

Me too. Man, the cubicle can be brutal. But it's better than classes so I'll enjoy the next three months.

I am currently looking for something new while I'm stuck in this job. I want to have an email address that is more professional then the yahoo one I have.

Are there any free email sites that I can create that sound more professional than yahoo?

Get gmail and dump your yahoo account.

Archived