Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Job Hunting & Interviewing Tips

zoony

Congrats! It must be because of that gmail I helped you with. You're welcome ;)

Yes it did help. Thanks.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 11:52 AM ----------

No way pjf, congrats on that one.

It feels good to know one of our brothers wins the job.

Thanks. First interview I've been on in 10 years. I had alot of help in here and it made a difference.

• 3 months later...

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

Saw a resume today where someone listed that they were tested for TB and the results were negative lol.

Also under Licenses and Certifications, they put their Driver's license, which expired Christmas Eve lol.

Doh!

I am currently trying to decide a course of action. I am in the process of applying for a federal job, but during the course of lunch a lady told me if I send her my resume she will put my application in as applying as a disabled person. MS counts as a disability.

Even with "moderately aggressive MS," I have never considered myself disabled. I know the application as disabled would give me a far greater chance at the job (go from 1 in 10 to 1 in 2 or 3 odds). I am thinking it over. I have about another hour to decide.

Doh!

I am currently trying to decide a course of action. I am in the process of applying for a federal job, but during the course of lunch a lady told me if I send her my resume she will put my application in as applying as a disabled person. MS counts as a disability.

Even with "moderately aggressive MS," I have never considered myself disabled. I know the application as disabled would give me a far greater chance at the job (go from 1 in 10 to 1 in 2 or 3 odds). I am thinking it over. I have about another hour to decide.

Do it (if you feel qualified for the job). It's dog eat dog out there.

Doh!

Do it. I don't know why the lady has to submit it for you, though.

I've got a question. Just received a follow up e-mail for a Internship I applied to in January, and now I have to write a Statement of Interest.

1st: What is a statement of interest? How long is it? And from what I can tell, how is it different from just a longer cover letter?

2nd: I'm graduating in May, so I don't have any work experience directly related to economics, the experience I have is Bartending. Should I focus on the skills bartending has given me or the things I have learned in the classroom?

I've got a question. Just received a follow up e-mail for a Internship I applied to in January, and now I have to write a Statement of Interest.

1st: What is a statement of interest? How long is it? And from what I can tell, how is it different from just a longer cover letter?

2nd: I'm graduating in May, so I don't have any work experience directly related to economics, the experience I have is Bartending. Should I focus on the skills bartending has given me or the things I have learned in the classroom?

1) Sounds like they'd like you to write about why you covet the internship, why you're qualified, and what you would bring to the program. Probably doesn't have to be longer than 1 page.

2) Did you take on any additional responsibilities as a bartender? (Liquor orders, key-holder, etc). Responsibility is responsibility. You could also attest to a fast paced, multi-tasking environment. But, definitely focus on your course-load and what you've learned from it.

Statement should just be basically like a cover letter except explain why you would want the job.

Definitely throw in stuff you've learned in class, but find ways to relate bartending to econ.

Thanks guys...

Yeah thinking about it a bit more, it's an internship with possibilities for a bunch of spots, so they probably are looking for a specific area I'm interested in.

As a bartender, been a Key-holder, implemented ideas about staffing, specials, and new products to order. I believe that the owners would back me up if I said I had a lot of typical manager duties while working. (No managers at my place, 2 owners then Bartenders/Servers/Cooks) So they give me the power to comp items, count the drawer at the end of the night, do all the nightly closing duties, etc.

Did they give you any guidelines or instructions for the SOI??? Or did they just say to write an SOI?

ok this is something i need help with; how do you guys document what you do at work on a daily basis; my boss told me i need to document the work i do because she knows how much i do but i don't imply it in my writing; since i work in the govt, you put yourself up for promotion and then your boss decides lol..

ok this is something i need help with; how do you guys document what you do at work on a daily basis; my boss told me i need to document the work i do because she knows how much i do but i don't imply it in my writing; since i work in the govt, you put yourself up for promotion and then your boss decides lol..

I'd try my best to go back to think of who is evaluating the basics of: "This is my job" and then highlight things you do that you wouldn't have assumed you'd do before you got the job. (No, stocking the coffee pot is not one of those things)

I'd try my best to go back to think of who is evaluating the basics of: "This is my job" and then highlight things you do that you wouldn't have assumed you'd do before you got the job. (No, stocking the coffee pot is not one of those things)

i am literally doing a job that no one at my agency does and everything i am doing is laying the foundation for people in the future to do. everything i am doing, no one has done it before i have. so thats why its hard for me to do it.

my boss told me to do something like write i did, how i did it and the impact of what i did

Just knocked out my LOI, I'd appreciate anyone's input.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1t3LVjQ_uujelXTj3vlK8W_WOszJn9sAIUDXz3TppDbs

I feel like it is pretty strong in showing my strengths while bordering the "overconfident" line that should be walked when writing one...

Looks pretty good. Is there a job description you have for this position somewhere?

Just knocked out my LOI, I'd appreciate anyone's input.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1t3LVjQ_uujelXTj3vlK8W_WOszJn9sAIUDXz3TppDbs

I feel like it is pretty strong in showing my strengths while bordering the "overconfident" line that should be walked when writing one...

I think you have a good start, but I'd honestly suggest a couple things:

You need to clean up your first sentence/intro. As it is right now, I don't think it's going to win you any jobs.You need to have an opener which clearly and succinctly highlights your related skills, knowledge, and experience, and why you want the internship. Tell them in one sentence why they should pick you, and the rest of your letter should be nothing but expanding what you've said in that sentence with examples and further detail.

Also, you might want to put a little more focus on coursework. Have you done any group projects, research papers, presentations, etc. which relate to the work you'd be doing at the internship? You can and should highlight these things in an application for an internship.

Finally, remember when writing something like this, you're writing for someone who's going to be reading hundreds of letters. You need to be straightforward (don't imply anything) and it should be direct and easy to read.

Do any of you keep a daily work diary/journal? If not, you should start. It's helpful in all sorts of situations.

You just jot down what you did that day, important conversations (which should be followed up with emails), work hours (overtime), training/education and the like.

My personal work diary has saved me from a bogus sexual harassment charge, saved my agency when they sued a client for non-payment for my services on a bogus claim, helps me with my timesheets so I can fill in my activities for my invoicing/payment for my services, and when I was employed it helped me get a promotion and raise when I could prove I was doing work over and above my pay grade and so on.

Too many people forget about this helpful tool. I do mine online and back it up. I have work diaries going back years.

Do any of you keep a daily work diary/journal? If not, you should start. It's helpful in all sorts of situations.

You just jot down what you did that day, important conversations (which should be followed up with emails), work hours (overtime), training/education and the like.

My personal work diary has saved me from a bogus sexual harassment charge, saved my agency when they sued a client for non-payment for my services on a bogus claim, helps me with my timesheets so I can fill in my activities for my invoicing/payment for my services, and when I was employed it helped me get a promotion and raise when I could prove I was doing work over and above my pay grade and so on.

Too many people forget about this helpful tool. I do mine online and back it up. I have work diaries going back years.

I had a boss who gave the good advice to do something like this, but not as detailed. It's definitely to everyone's advantage to write down specific projects and assignments you are working on, and to keep track of your achievements on those projects. It's a lot harder than one might think to recall that kind of stuff. Also, you might not see the true impact of a project until months down the road, after you've finished the work. Then you will be kicking yourself if you can't go back and actually tell someone everything you did for the project. You also might not realize the intricacies of your work when you're in the moment. Perhaps you complete X number of huge assignments last year, and you were too busy working to realize that you were working on them all simultaneously, or that they all achieved similar positive outcomes, or that your boss commended you for the same reasons on all of them, etc, etc.

Looks pretty good. Is there a job description you have for this position somewhere?

Thanks, the job description is just an internship within any part of USA-International Development. The LOI was basically asking me to specify two positions I would be interested in.

I think you have a good start, but I'd honestly suggest a couple things:

You need to clean up your first sentence/intro. As it is right now, I don't think it's going to win you any jobs.You need to have an opener which clearly and succinctly highlights your related skills, knowledge, and experience, and why you want the internship. Tell them in one sentence why they should pick you, and the rest of your letter should be nothing but expanding what you've said in that sentence with examples and further detail.

Also, you might want to put a little more focus on coursework. Have you done any group projects, research papers, presentations, etc. which relate to the work you'd be doing at the internship? You can and should highlight these things in an application for an internship.

Finally, remember when writing something like this, you're writing for someone who's going to be reading hundreds of letters. You need to be straightforward (don't imply anything) and it should be direct and easy to read.

Yeah, unfortunately most of my classroom experience in econ has been straight lecture, one thing that you have helped me to do is to highlight my ongoing SAS experience, which I'm doing this semester. That's a requirement I've seen for econ jobs which require a master's degree. So for me, as an undergrad, that would be something to go in further detail about.

Once again, thanks guys! Put down another reason why I love this community.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm at 2517 characters, it's a 2500 character max for this. That's just a guideline right? I don't want to cut it down.

Archived