Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Name a song. Then name the memory you have attached to it.

Springfield

Please cast 4 votes, 1 for each category  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Please cast 4 votes, 1 for each category

• Under 40 - Amanda Knox
    • Under 40 - Keeley Hazell
    • Over 40 - Mary Louise Parker
    • Over 40 - Monica Bellucci
    • Olympic - Leryn Franco
    • Olympic - Natalie Coughlin
    • Reality Star - Danni Boatwright
    • Reality Star - Melissa Rycroft

It's quite simple, yet so complicated.

Music, song... can inspire great memories. They can inspire long lost memories of years or decades ago. It could be the first song you ever danced with your wife to. It could be a song that makes you remember the best time you ever had with your friends. It could be a song that you listened to over and over again when your high school sweetheart broke up with you. The beauty of song is that it can transcend time and make you remember that which would have washed away with time.

What I am asking with this thread is to post a song and explain the meaning behind it. Explain why it means so much to you. What memory it sparks in order for it to be so important. It's quite simple, but it can be quite complicated.

Good thread. But wow. Lot's of songs,lot's of memories. For me,it's where we lived at the time. We moved around a lot when I was a kid,so I tend to place locations with the songs. To this day,my brothers and I will hear a song and one of the first things we'll say is the state or road we lived on.

No specific memory,but this feeling takes me back to Summer nights back in 76 on Murdock Road in Fairfax. It's a bit of a frivolous song,but I can almost feel the humidity and smell the air back then when listening to it. Thoughts of lazy Summer nights out front with my friends listening to WPGC.

oCuQQcISZTM

Hey. It does have a xylophone solo. :silly:

This song is probably the most memorable of all the memorable songs that I've had with my wife. This song brings me back to when we were first getting together. She had a boyfriend at the time and we would drive around, smoking weed and having a great time as "friends". This song epitomizes the experiences that we shared as a newly budding couple. It's the first song that we ever shared with each other. Nowadays, it makes her think of bad things. To me it makes me thing of uncertain but great times. I went for it and I got the girl.

FPzI4dpEcF8

I recall walking to my orthodontist appointments in high school to get my braces tightened. I had an original walkman (cassette). I had only a couple of tapes at that point, Phil Collins' Hello I Must Be Going, and Pink Floyd Animals. Here's one:

BhFHFIh3M18

When I was in college at MSU, I recall walking across campus at night to go to the library, this is one of the songs that reminds me of that time:

g1Z4HSer4uw

And, of course, "our song" for my wife and me:

-oaHHrNQVrg

This next song, I have about as much emotional attachment as you can have to a song. My mom and father were divorced when I was young. Some of my earliest memories were of my father singing this song to me. I have said on ES before that my father is my own personal hero. Even though he wasn't around as much as I wish he was, he has been the most respectful and knowledgeable person I have ever known. Through all of the thick and thins of life, I have leaned on this song to remind me of my past memories with my father. I've worried for his health, I've worried that I would never be there to say goodbye to him. This song brings great sorrow and also great joy.

C3uaXCJcRrE

Every time I hear this song it reminds me of when my uncle had a major seizure and was on death's doorstep. It was playing in the car as we were heading to the hospital.

It's definitely weird how it brings me back....I hear the hook and I instantly have an eerie memory of that exact moment. Great song, love the foo fighters.

"Machine Gun" Jimi Hendrix The live version

It was many, many moons ago and an epic night, (many of the details that I cannot get into here),but suffice to say it kicked ass and pretty much started, and ended with that song.

I can say, that I was introduced to a lifelong friend, (Maker's Mark), and me and my buddies invented* a drink and named it the "Machine Gun" in honor of Hendrix, and that was the song blaring in the room when we came up with the name.

The song means a lot to because that was 30 years ago, and it takes me back to some of my best times, best friends, most of whom I still keep in touch with, (which used to be tough before the internet because we all lived overseas at the time and are scattered all over the country), and I can never listen to "Machine Gun", (or Hendrix for that matter), without thinking of that night.

I'm sure that my buddies dad remembers that night too, because it was his bottle of Maker's that we drank and that stuff was hard to come by back in the early 80's, especially in Italy!

*Okay.....it ain't much of a drink, and we probably didn't invent it, but we sure as hell perfected it by the using Maker's! Basically, it's a shotglass filled 1/2 way with coke, (the beverage;)) and then you float Maker's on it and pound the shot. It can only be called a "Machine Gun" if Hendrix is playing in the background

When I was about 6 I lived in a small town and on the 4th of July I was walking at the high school before the fireworks with my family. I was eating popcorn that my mom had bought me.

"Saturday in the Park" by Chicago was playing on someone's radio and to this DAY every time I hear that song, I smell popcorn.

It's like an instant feel good.

~Bang

When I was about 6 I lived in a small town and on the 4th of July I was walking at the high school before the fireworks with my family. I was eating popcorn that my mom had bought me.

"Saturday in the Park" by Chicago was playing on someone's radio and to this DAY every time I hear that song, I smell popcorn.

~Bang

Oooo that's a great song. I always think of Italian Ice.

~Bang

Awesome story, Bang, that is really cool.

8th grade, teen club, my first 'real girlfriend' and I were dancing when I leaned over to kiss her. My first honest to goodness kiss that seemed to last forever. Still get a little smile on my face when I hear this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL---4xQYA

When I was growing up we would spend just about every weekend at an old farmhouse in rural Virginia that my dad was fixing up (he never quite finished and now the task is left up to me - but that's another story). Often we would have another family stay with us and I recall all us kids (there were six of us) listening to Casey Kasem's top 40 every weekend. This goes back a ways (to 1973) but here are a couple of the songs I remember, probably because they were near the top of the chart for a while. It's weird that I only remember songs from 1973.

Bo-qweh7nbQ

O9mO7ELoXik

Although it came out in 1971, this song was never released as a single; I recall this song also getting a lot of airplay back in 1973:

BcL---4xQYA

KW2J_UZ8lQU

This song was played on Hit radio KKHR Los Angeles and reminds me my first trip abroad.
Just got my bachelor degree out of high school in 1983 and I decided to go to U.S.A (California, NYC) for a couple of weeks. What a Blast. I fell in love with the country, met really nice people, wasps, african-americans, native americans. Last but not least, I became a Redskins fan ;).

David Allen Coe- You Never Even Called Me By My Name

vAOVRkSCWmg

I used to work at this restaurant, Lonestar. On so many nights, after all the customers had left and we were all cleaning up and doing our sidework, our manager would put this song on. I had never heard it before it was played here, but I loved singing along with it and it would get put on repeat and LOUD!

I learned later that David Allen Coe is a big ol' racist, but I still love that song. Someone sang it at karaoke last night and I had a great time singing along.

"Or for anyone who's ever been through **** in their lives
Till they sit and they cry at night wishin' they'd die
Till they throw on a rap record and they sit, and they vibe
We're nothin' to you but we're the ****in **** in they eyes"

I was one of those people. I wouldn't say I was "raised by rap" or anything ridiculous like that but through the toughest times in my life, I had this song. It helped me keep my head above water. I could have handled my problems differently with drugs and whatnot, like most of the other people I knew that were in my situation. But I didn't need to. I had music. This song really speaks to that sentiment.

Archived