Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8.9 magnitude quake hits Japan...edit: 6.5 quake hits (3/27)

royallypwned

After seeing the news footage, I'll be surprised if it's not something in that range, unfortunately. :(

God bless all of them. What a tragedy. This is the kind of thing that will take decades to come back from. I heard it on the radio this morning but didn't really realize how bad it was until I watched CNN at lunch. Goodness. That flaming tidal wave and the whirlpool... just wow. Apocolypse stuff.

A co-worker of mine lives in Seaside OR. Been trying to get him on the phone... can't reach him. Supposed to be on a conf call with him at 1. I'm sure he's fine I'm just curious if he's been evacuated.

That was/is simply incredible.

Could you imagine seeing that coming at you....:(

That would be horrible. Though it does remind me of the video I was watching last night. The wave was surging,(that just doesn't describe it accurately enough),inland and it was on its way to t-bone a road that had vehicles on it. It hit the road and barely missed one car in the rear. The car behind it however,was met broadside by the wave. I can't imagine the horror that had to be felt by the people in that car as they saw this thing coming at them. Last I saw it had washed around the car(s),and they were beginning to be swept away.

Death toll in that part of Japan is something that could be staggering to even think about.

the video I keep seeing is those people on the overpass watching the destruction below them from their cars. The tide keeps rising and looks like it is going to crest over top of the overpass... but then the footage stops. Wonder if they're okay

How does one PUT those out. Or do you just have to wait? That would SUCK :(

Foam or some chemical extinguishers...not something that is readily available in many disasters,nor even effective at times outside controlled situations

I will be surprised if the death toll isn't very high

Yeah. I remember seeing that one last night a few times. I got the impression from that footage and a few others,that the camera guy and the pilot simply turned away from the scene,knowing what was probably getting ready to appen. The other one I remember seeing,(and they don't show it as much right now),was where folks were on a small building's roof watching this monster wave sweep everything around them away and it was closing in around the building as well. That was just before they panned out to the ocean to film more waves coming in. Frightening to watch to say the least.

The videos look unreal. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going thru. I certainly hope for the best for as many people as possible, but wow. It's hard to not expect the worst, and then double it.

I rarely post in these sorts of threads,, as you can see, I never know what to say.

~Bang

Not good. The last thing they need on top of an enormous quake and a tsunami is a nuclear meltdown to boot.

According to Reuters,they've evacuated over 3000 people in the area due to,among other things,the release of radioactive vapor out of the facility. This is being done to relieve the building pressure.

Foam or some chemical extinguishers...not something that is readily available in many disasters,nor even effective at times outside controlled situations

I will be surprised if the death toll isn't very high

its difficult to do. at fire school they lit a pipeline fire and we had to put it out, this is how it worked:

one fire group fought the fire, another group or two depending on the size of the fire, sprayed water on the first fire group to cool them. once the bulk of the flame is brought down and under control people can go forward and shut valves and isolate the source of the fire.

i imagine this would be a lot more difficult in real time, especially since that fire was massive, but the refinery in japan should have a plan for fighting the fire as well as the extinguishing agents.

From your link:

"On March 19, the Moon will be at perigee –about 354,000 km away. However, on that date it will also be full, and this has an effect on tides.

You can read my detailed essay on tides on my old website. The bullet points are that the Sun has an effect on our tides here on Earth, as does the Moon. When the Sun, Earth, and Moon are near a straight line in space — that is, at new or full Moon — these effects are maximized. We get what are called spring tides, with extra-high high tides, and extra-low low tides"

But the tides do affect earth quakes:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1022_041022_earthquakes_tides.html

"Cochran and colleagues focused on the magnitude of high tides that they found to be associated with earthquakes. They determined that very high tides, rather than a normal tide cycle, seemed to coincide with seismic activity."

How does compare to the monster that hit Thailand several years ago ?

That one was a 9.1 this one an 8.9, but I have no clue as to the epicenters distance from pop centers between the two. Also this one will probably change in magnitude a little as the geologist go over all the data.

Archived