Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8.9 magnitude quake hits Japan...edit: 6.5 quake hits (3/27)

royallypwned

From your link:

"On March 19, the Moon will be at perigee –about 354,000 km away. However, on that date it will also be full, and this has an effect on tides.

You can read my detailed essay on tides on my old website. The bullet points are that the Sun has an effect on our tides here on Earth, as does the Moon. When the Sun, Earth, and Moon are near a straight line in space — that is, at new or full Moon — these effects are maximized. We get what are called spring tides, with extra-high high tides, and extra-low low tides"

But the tides do affect earth quakes:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1022_041022_earthquakes_tides.html

"Cochran and colleagues focused on the magnitude of high tides that they found to be associated with earthquakes. They determined that very high tides, rather than a normal tide cycle, seemed to coincide with seismic activity."

Yes, on March 19th, over a week from now. So not related to the Japanese quake.

eventually, one of these large earthquakes is going to have a direct hit over a metropolitan area. similar to haiti, but a significant earthquake such as this one. when it does happen, no amount of readiness/engineering is going to save people. its just a matter of time really.

The back-up generators were taken out by the tsunami.

ok this makes sense.

Yes, on March 19th, over a week from now. So not related to the Japanese quake.

Yes, I agree, but if there is an earthquake on March 19th, I think it would be reasonable to assume that the moon (and the sun) through the tides played a role in it.

The answer to the question 'Is the moon related to earthquakes?' isn't no. It is its complicated, but because the moon isn't in a position to have much of an effect right now on Earth (i.e. we aren't experiencing extreme tides), it probably isn't related to this.

The answer to the question 'Is the moon related to earthquakes?' isn't no. It is its complicated, but because the moon isn't in a position to have much of an effect right now on Earth (i.e. we aren't experiencing extreme tides), it probably isn't related to this.

heres a question, was the mt. fugi eruption related to the earthquake in the 1700's. i think scientists say it was since it erupted 30 or so days after the quake. in that case they might not be out of danger yet.

Yes, I agree, but if there is an earthquake on March 19th, I think it would be reasonable to assume that the moon (and the sun) through the tides played a role in it.

I'm curious what you think of this...not the best source but..

http://www.terracycles.com/joomla/sections/1-earth/27-solarearthquakeevidence.html

Solar Earthquake Evidence PDF Print E-mail

After a solar storm strikes the Earth a geomagnetic storm erupts. The increased magnetic field strength of the magnetosphere pushes down on the ionosphere, which pushes against the oceans. It is due to the electromagnetic properties of sea water that the oceans become temporarily heavier. The extra heaviness of the sea water, coupled with the daily tidal forces of the Sun and Moon cause greater than normal forces to press against both the eastern and western boundaries of the Pacific Plate, but more so the western boundary in the South Pacific Islands region.

Below are earthquake maps showing global earthquakes of magnitude 5 or greater for the five days following a geomagnetic storm. Notice the clear pattern of quakes in the South Pacific Islands region along with activity around the Pacific Rim. There is also a clear pattern of earthquake activity along the fault running from Greece to the Pacific Plate.

The five dates selected below were the first five dates I found for geomagnetic storms and were selected completely at random. There is a list of solar storms where you can choose a date and check the earthquake database yourself to verify this theory.

One of the thing that gets me is when I was living there they drill what to do to during a earthquake. I still have a little what to do during a earthquake card in my wallet. On all these clips I keep seeing, no one is doing what they've been told to do, if the earthquake was that big and was closer to Tokyo it would not have been good. The last "big" one I felt really freaked me out, I'm very happy I wasn't there but at the same time wish I was back with my friends while all of this is going on.

We agree. :)

How does compare to the monster that hit Thailand several years ago ?
That one was a 9.1 this one an 8.9, but I have no clue as to the epicenters distance from pop centers between the two. Also this one will probably change in magnitude a little as the geologist go over all the data.

How about in terms of casualties ?

We agree. :)

Stop agreeing guys. Or else you're going to make ES boring again !

I'm curious what you think of this...not the best source but..

http://www.terracycles.com/joomla/sections/1-earth/27-solarearthquakeevidence.html

I think earthquakes are going to be found to be very complicated with multiple interacting and contributing factors.

I wouldn't be shocked if solar flares played a role.

The Earth's magnetic field is mostly due to the molten core of the Earth with probably some interactions and contributions from ocean currents. I wouldn't be at all surprised if solar flares through interactions with Earth's magentic field altered core and ocean currents and therefore plate tectonics and earthquakes via electromagnetic interactions as well as pressure based interactions.

I think it is most likely more direct affects related to changes in ocean currents, tides and other gravitational affects and basic plate tectonics are the major govenoring forces in my opinion.

Predicto, in San Francisco, they are advising not to take the BART.

So, you may need to find alternate transportation from work.

Thanks for the tip, but the BART warning has been rescinded. Not much happened 'round here.

I always thought he just floated around on his little cloud of self-importance..... ;)

Oh, it's ON now!

ratfight.gif

Archived