Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8.9 magnitude quake hits Japan...edit: 6.5 quake hits (3/27)

royallypwned

Yes, it is, but there is very little going on over there right now that isn't. It's amazing that they're only reporting 50 dead at this point. I expect the number will be in the thousands by the time it's done.

Japan had a quake back in the 1920s that killed 150,000 people.

I think this will surpass that. The area is much more populated and the quake was a lot stronger.

Holy ****, this is terrible. Thoughts and prayers to the people on that side of the world. It's amazing that the death toll is only 50 right now. I'm hoping for the best for them.

My guess is that its much higher than that.

coincidence the moon is at its closest point to the earth in years?

Maybe' date=' maybe not:

[url']http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?345039-DM-Could-supermoon-next-week-disrupt-Earth-s-weather[/url]

The tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of people in Indonesia happened two weeks before the January 2005 supermoon.
'There will be no earthquakes or volcanoes erupting, unless they are to happen anyway,' he told news.com.au.

Um, OK.

'Normal king tides are about all I would expect out of this supermoon prediction.'

That's one hell of a tide.

The earthquake caused the tsunami... I don't think the moon is responsible for earthquakes... And if it is, the moon is the Death Star in disguise.

Signed - Gwadk

Whether the moon can cause earthquakes is somewhat controversial:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0523_050523_moonquake.html

I think we are going to find a number of things contribute to Earthquakes.

The problem with this arguement:

"According to Berkland, the U.S. Geological Survey said such a theory is ridiculous—the Earth is 82 times more massive than the moon. Though the Earth can trigger quakes on the moon, they said, the moon is too small to trigger any earthquakes."

is that it isn't JUST the moon's gravity.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041022103948.htm

"ScienceDaily (Oct. 22, 2004) — Earthquakes can be triggered by the Earth's tides, UCLA scientists confirmed Oct. 21 in Science Express, the online journal of Science. Earth tides are produced by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth, causing the ocean's waters to slosh, which in turn raise and lower stress on faults roughly twice a day. Scientists have wondered about the effects of Earth tides for more than 100 years."

The moon affects the water distribution on the Earth (i.e. tides), and that water also has gravity so with respect to the plate tectonics, it is a combination of the moon's gravity, the gravity the water that the moon's gravity has shifted along with the change in the actual mass distribution from the shift in the water (and this doesn't even get into electronic interactions between ocean currents and molten core currents).

Archived