Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8.9 magnitude quake hits Japan...edit: 6.5 quake hits (3/27)

royallypwned

Really? I always thought it was a thing called honor and not wanting to be the one to bring shame to ones family.

As well as an unbringing by a TIGER MOM. :)

Upbringing by a Tiger Mom results in honor and not wanting to be the one to bring shame to ones family?

OK...

tiger-woods.jpg

:ols:

Upbringing by a Tiger Mom results in honor and not wanting to be the one to bring shame to ones family?

tiger-woods.jpg

OK

:ols:

Eldrich Woods is Cablinasian

Most tiger moms Around China (as well as the Nation known for Dragons and Emperors) and Japan would demand he change his name to weasel :D

^^^ :ols: Good use of that pic, Shredmojo.

Really? I always thought it was a thing called honor and not wanting to be the one to bring shame to ones family.

As well as an unbringing by a TIGER MOM. :)

The Tiger Mom of recent fame is Chinese, not Japanese.

Apparently living in Oregon was a bad idea since I'm right in the path of potential radiation blown westward from Japan. :-/

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 12:37 AM ----------

I noticed that the other day when I watched that crazy footage. Poor soul. I imagine he/she didn't have many places to drive unless there was a road back in the opposite direction we couldn't see.

No need for robots,the radiation is not that high....yet

added

Naturally I am wrong

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

Associated Press Eric Talmadge And Shino Yuasa, Associated Press – 36 mins ago

FUKUSHIMA, Japan – Japan suspended operations to prevent a stricken nuclear plant from melting down Wednesday after a surge in radiation made it too dangerous for workers to remain at the facility.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said work on dousing reactors with water was disrupted by the need to withdraw.

The level of radiation at the plant surged to 1,000 millisieverts early Wednesday before coming down to 800-600 millisieverts. Still, that was far more than the average

"So the workers cannot carry out even minimal work at the plant now," Edano said. "Because of the radiation risk, we are on standby."

Experts say exposure of around 1,000 millisieverts is enough to cause radiation sickness.

Eldrich Woods is Cablinasian

Most tiger moms Around China (as well as the Nation known for Dragons and Emperors) and Japan would demand he change his name to weasel :D

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote images, large blocks of text or embedded YouTube videos.

It wastes space and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366395/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Haunting-images-450-Britons-feared-missing.html

Pictures in this link are frightening. Makes you realize the power of mother nature. I wish I could go over there and help, especially since I have been to Sendai and know what it was like before.

To big to post but this is especially unreal

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/15/article-0-0B2D7C2600000578-689_964x641.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From WP:

Leaked water from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant showed the highest radiation readings yet, compounding the risks for the hundreds of workers trying to repair the facility’s cooling system. Seventeen workers have been exposed to high levels of radiation, and airborne radioactivity in the unit 2 building remained so high that a worker there would reach his yearly occupational exposure limit in 15 minutes.
Yikes.

Workers trying to prevent a total meltdown at a Japanese nuclear power plant suffered another setback Monday when they found a pool of highly radioactive water leaking from the crippled facility.

"The trench is located outside the building and the water contains radioactive materials," Hiro Hasegawa, a spokesman for the Tokyo Electric Power Co., told The Daily Telegraph of London.

"There is normally no water found in this area."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/28/2011-03-28_japan_nuclear_crisis_pool_of_radioactive_water_found_outside_fukushima_daiichi_p.html

Radiation leaking at a crippled nuclear plant in Japan spiked to new highs on Sunday, hindering frantic efforts to avert an all-out meltdown.

Samples of tainted water in a flooded area of the Fukushima Daiichi facility showed readings 100,000 times more radioactive than normal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/28/2011-03-28_radiation_rises_to_shocking_new_high.html

That's good to know. I wonder why they are now reporting radiation in the rain around here then.

"The facts are that minuscule quantities of airborne radio-iodine and radio-caesium from Fukushima are now being detected by instruments all round the world - as you would expect, because radioactivity can be detected in incredibly tiny amounts. If you wanted to, you could examine weather records since the quake hit, concoct a simulation of how iodine and caesium might travel around the planet to be deposited at far-flung instruments thousands of miles away, and then plug in those final readings in order to extrapolate back to generate a figure for possible emissions from Fukushima. That figure would be highly uncertain, to put it mildly, but you could do it."

This is a must read of all the fear mongering going on with this whole situation. It's 3 days old but still.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/25/fukushima_scaremongering_debunk/

I'm trying to apply a common sense approach to the situation - as such :

If people in Japan are not getting deathly sick from the radiation, then whatever radiation we're getting thousands of miles away, has to be negligible in proportion, at worst.

world’s largest concrete pump being flown on the world's largest cargo plane to Japan

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-03-31/srs-concrete-pump-heading-japan-nuclear-site

The 190,000-pound pump, made by Germany-based Putzmeister has a 70-meter boom and can be controlled remotely, making it suitable for use in the unpredictable and highly radioactive environment of the doomed nuclear reactors in Japan, he said.

A feel good story:

Tsunami dog reunited with owner

A dog rescued more than a mile off the coast of Japan three weeks after the quake and tsunami has been reunited with her owner.

reunited_youtubepa.jpg

The female owner and two-year-old Ban had an emotional reunion at an animal care centre, reports the BBC.

"We'll never let go of her," the owner, who wished to remain anonymous, was quoted as saying by a centre official.

The dog was found by a Japan Coast Guard crew on a drifting roof some 1.1 miles off Kesennuma, Miyagi prefecture, one of the worst-hit areas along Japan's north-east coast.

The roof is believed to have been detached and washed out to sea by the retreating waters of the devastating tsunami, which hit the country on 11 March.

Ban immediately jumped up and wagged her tail when her owner - who recognised her dog on a TV report about the rescue - appeared.

Click on the link for the full article

Archived