Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Light Beer Snobbery....what gives????

chipwhich

I regularly drink Miller Lite and Coors Light, and I can taste the difference between ML, CL, and BL. I cannot drink Bud Light. Probably because I've been drinking ML solidly for the past 5 years.

I do enjoy other beers, (Octoberfests, Shiner/amber bock, Smithwicks, and any other malty beers I can find) but I wake up with the worst headache. I could drink 15 "light" beers or 5 "normal" beers and wake up with the same killer hangover...

I'm pretty much the same way but switch miller light with Bud Light. I cannot stomach Miller Light at all.

What kind of whiskey has sugar?? Typically any distilled alcohols are zero carb.

:secret: Defined chemically (as neutral compounds of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen), alcohol is a carbohydrate. But the etymology of the word is that carboydrates contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen and are usually in the proportion to form water with the general formula Cn(H2O)n. So people will say it's not a carbohydrate because the oxygen isn't in proportion.

Low carb does not mean low calorie. Alcohol contains more calories per gram (6) than sugar (4).

I can't tell the difference between the big three, they all taste the same to me. And I drank enough of it in college when that was all we could afford.

I'll admit I'm a beer snot now, I drink mostly Guinness, occasionally a Smithwicks, Harp or Bass, or I'll go to the Belgian place down the road and drink their Trappist beers which are all full flavored. Honestly, if you have the means to afford them, I can't understand why anyone would willingly pick a light beer, there's just no satisfaction in drinking them.

i see you are in woodbridge, what belgian place are you talking about? is that the new bungalow alehouse? i had some friends who went there and said it was awesome!

man, i feel truly sorry for people who have actually developed a palette than can discern the miniscule gradients of taste between the various pisswaters of bud light, miller lite, coors, etc. What a waste.

the most infuriating thing is the Millier Lite commercials, which try so darn hard to pretend their beer has flavor. such a blatant lie. and then, based on that faulty premise, the commercials try to terrify men into ordering Miller Lite, for fear of being perceived as a wimp by the bartender. stupid on so many levels. the irony is, you would be hard pressed to find a wimpier beer than miller lite (or coors, or bud, or whatever). fear that your machismo is being threatened is a truly idiotic factor to base a beer choice on, but if you really are that insecure, i suggest seeking out REAL beer such as Dogfish Head or Unibroue or Stone or Rogue. hell, even stadiums and crappy chain restaurants usually have Sam Adams somewhere -- not a huge fan of the boston lager, but most of their seasonals have some character.

Miller High Life always makes me think that I am drinking liquid bread. I used to drink it because that's what Kevin Costner drank in Bull Durham. I also liked talking like Ossie Davis and saying' date=' "Where is the Miller High Life?"[/quote']

This commercial alone made me want to drink a High Life :ols:

I cant explain it....it just makes me want it haha

Its simple if I am going to pay money for beer Im going to buy the beer I like....but if Its free I will drink whatever beer there is.

BTW I do not like Miller Lite, I was at verizon center the other week and the Coors Light line was to long and the short line was either Miller Lite or Stella....I got Stella. However if you had a 12 pack of them and were handing them out, I would drink as many as you let me.

i see you are in woodbridge, what belgian place are you talking about? is that the new bungalow alehouse? i had some friends who went there and said it was awesome!

No, it's a place down in Occoquan called the **** and Bowl. Their menu revolves around mussles and frites (french fries) so they're trying for some authenticity. I believe at least one of the owners (a married couple) is from Belgium.

The food I find to be a little overpriced for what you get, but their Belgian beer list is incredible, though marked up. If you go, try the Rochefort 8, that's quickly becoming my new favorite beer.

No, it's a place down in Occoquan called the **** and Bowl. Their menu revolves around mussles and frites (french fries) so they're trying for some authenticity. I believe at least one of the owners (a married couple) is from Belgium.

The food I find to be a little overpriced for what you get, but their Belgian beer list is incredible, though marked up. If you go, try the Rochefort 8, that's quickly becoming my new favorite beer.

oh man, I heard about that place, it's just been so long since I've been to occaquan. i think the last time i was there was madigans for st. paddys day

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

Both of those beers taste like outside to me. Heineken tastes like grass and Stella tastes like sticks and leaves...weird.

uh, how would you know what grass, sticks, and leaves taste like?

I don't bash others for drinking lite beers or companies using commercials to promote training beverages. Eventually when the youngins' voices deepen and they have their first signs of chest hair they might be ready for a Guinness or Heineken. :):D

j/k

I was curious

haha, i was gonna try a dog owner joke but i just finished lunch and now i'm in a slight food coma...good answer tho!

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 01:43 PM ----------

I don't bash others for drinking lite beers or companies using commercials to promote training beverages. Eventually when the youngins' voices deepen and they have their first signs of chest hair they might be ready for a Guinness or Heineken. :):D

j/k

i know your just joking but there is a little bit of truth to that, the older you get the more inclined you are to not listen to the commercials and get a beer that you enjoy....that and beer guts

I drink Miller Lite.. because it's a halfway decent pilsner, and it's usually the ONLY pilsner in the beer case... except for Pilsner Urquell, which tastes like sewage.

The beer coolers in the stores around here are like 85% lagers, and 14% ale. I like a pilsner.. Sam Adams used to make a Golden Pilsner,, and it was delicious.. but they don't anymore. the last pilsner of theirs I got was an Imperial Pilsner,, 4 bottles of the worst tasting stuff I ever bought. WAY overdone.

~Bang

j/k

Will you accept McSorely's Dark Ale?

I get spoiled with the beer selection up here around Vermont, it's pretty rare to see someone actually drinking bud/miller/coors light willingly. We've got a lot of local breweries who make great beer like Switchback, Long Trail, Harpoon, Trout River, Rock Art, Otter Creek, etc..

The exception of course is cheap beer specials like $1.50 tallboys of Gansett or PBR. I'm not going to turn that down.

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 02:06 PM ----------

The beer coolers in the stores around here are like 85% lagers, and 14% ale. I like a pilsner.. Sam Adams used to make a Golden Pilsner,, and it was delicious.. but they don't anymore. the last pilsner of theirs I got was an Imperial Pilsner,, 4 bottles of the worst tasting stuff I ever bought. WAY overdone.

~Bang

You might be thinking of their Noble Pils, which is a spring seasonal beer. I had one last night (delicious), so I know it's available now.

I agree with you about the imperial Pilsner, I wasn't a fan either.

I get spoiled with the beer selection up here around Vermont, it's pretty rare to see someone actually drinking bud/miller/coors light willingly. We've got a lot of local breweries who make great beer like Switchback, Long Trail, Harpoon, Trout River, Rock Art, Otter Creek, etc..

Since youre closer to Maine, have you tried Allagash? I bought one while I toured the brewery that was aged in a Jim Beam bourbon barrel...it was awesome - Allagash Curieux is the name

Since youre closer to Maine, have you tried Allagash? I bought one while I toured the brewery that was aged in a Jim Beam bourbon barrel...it was awesome - Allagash Curieux is the name

Yea, Allagash makes great stuff. Their Allagash White is actually what I would consider a very "good" light beer.

Their Dubbel is great too, I may have to pick up a bottle to drink while watching the Caps tonight.

Are you familiar with Wolaver's up there?

Definitely, it's you can basically find it anywhere that's not a 7-Eleven or a gas station. I'm a big fan of their IPA and Oatmeal Stout.

Archived