Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AFP: Horse semen on the menu at N.Z. food festival

China

Horse semen on the menu at N.Z. food festival

WELLINGTON (AFP) – Long renowned for pioneering extreme sports such as bungee-jumping and heli-skiing, New Zealanders are now pushing culinary boundaries by serving up shots of horse semen to iron-stomached food lovers.

The equine delicacy will be on the menu at the annual Wildfoods Festival in the South Island town of Hokitika next month, along with other gastronomic delights such as raw scorpions, chocolate-covered beetles and deep-fried grubs.

"The idea is you'll have as much zizz as a stallion for a week afterwards," Christchurch racehorse breeder Lindsay Kerslake, who came up with the semen surprise, told Fairfax Media.

He said the shots being sold at this year's festival on March 12 would taste like a milkshake and be washed down with an energy drink chaser.

Organiser Mike Keenan said he expected many festival patrons would sample the shots as a dare, and he was prepared to put his own stomach on the line.

"Yeah, I'll give it a go," he told AFP.

Click on the link for the full article

I have never tried this delicacy... but honestly, I don't see why its particularly a big deal, or that different from eating liver or kidney, or whatever. People love fish and chicken ovaries (caviar and eggs). shrug?

although, i will concede that the method of delivery and presentation is kinda important in this case.

I pride myself on being an adventurous eater. I recently got back from a week in China where we ate some pretty goofy stuff. I'd go for the raw scorpions any day (bugs are yummy), but the horse stuff would be challenging. If you could show me a specific actual culture that truly views this as a delicacy and prepares it well, I'd be willing. If its just for shock value, no way.

Archived