Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aintitcool.com: Batman 3 Villains--I Pity The Fool Who Posts Spoilers! MET

ECU-ALUM

Of all the villians, I was begging Nolan would eventually cast Bane. He has been the most mismanaged character in movies, video games, and tv since his comic series. His character has always been potrayed as a unintellegent, sometimes mindless (f&*!* you Schumaker) goon. He's a character that desperately needs a depth makeover and I hope Nolan gives him the most attention.

As far as Catwoman, I can't see much more being done to her character that hasn't already been done in Burton's version or Batman the Animated Series. But at least we as fans can wash the bad taste of Halle Berry out of our mouths. ;)

I thought the first two Spider-man movies were wonderful and true to the irreverent spirit of their source material. 3 could have been okay, but for some reason studios want to include multiple villains and so the movies got overloaded and you have all plot no story. The Chris Reeves Superman still holds up pretty well too.

Sure...those all might be good movies (I've seen all of them) but the Batman ones intrigue and entertain me more than the others. Maybe he's just a cooler character.

---------- Post added January-20th-2011 at 10:32 AM ----------

But at least we as fans can wash the bad taste of Halle Berry out of our mouths. ;)

I'd guess nothing about Halle Berry tastes bad...nothing.

• 4 months later...
I wonder why they always feel the need to bring in two villains. Kind of weakens the chess match.

It's the drawback of making a comic book movie. You're really only guaranteed 1 shot, so you gotta lead off strong. Batman's best villain is the Joker. He's really the only bad guy capable of carrying a whole movie. Look at every other Batman movie ever made, and the Joker (whether it's Nicholson vs. Keaton or Heath vs. Bale) is the only character to truly be able to match Batman 1 on 1. And since he's usually the lead villain, every sequel made has to feature lesser enemies (Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, The Riddler [who is the poor man's Joker], Two-Face, Bane, etc.) which means you have to pair them up to make them a formidable threat. Even Batman Begins had Raj tag-team with the Scarecrow. It may not seem like a good match, but who is honestly going to see a Batman movie where he fights the Penguin, and only the Penguin? If it ain't the Joker, it ain't a solo mission.

You may be right, but if the story is well written and the characters brought forth I think it's better to have one villain.

Actually, a Mr. Freeze might be really interesting esp. with the mad scientist subplots and his lost wife etc. Riddler could be fun just because you could really get into the detective side of the Batman. Catwoman clearly should be able to hold her own.

I agree with you about Poison Ivy or Penguin.

IMO Bane is the main villain, and Catwoman is more a foil to Batman, and may not even be a villain and just be Catwoman. I think Bane will be smarter and stronger than Batman in the next movie. I hear they may be bringing in a Ras storyline where he rescues Bane as a child and they develop a father/son relationship. That could bring the whole trilogy full circle.

IMO Bane is the main villain, and Catwoman is more a foil to Batman, and may not even be a villain and just be Catwoman. I think Bane will be smarter and stronger than Batman in the next movie. I hear they may be bringing in a Ras storyline where he rescues Bane as a child and they develop a father/son relationship. That could bring the whole trilogy full circle.

They've already basically said that's going to be a big part of the next film.

An actor has already been cast as a younger Ra's Al Ghul, and they've been filming scenes recently in India with Lazarus Pits (the pools that Ra's used to stay immortal). Although it's different from the comics, it's believed that in the movie, Bane somehow uses the Lazarus Pits when he's younger to essentially become, well, Bane. And that brings the whole League of Shadows back into the mix.

An actor has already been cast as a younger Ra's Al Ghul, and they've been filming scenes recently in India with Lazarus Pits (the pools that Ra's used to stay immortal). Although it's different from the comics, it's believed that in the movie, Bane somehow uses the Lazarus Pits when he's younger to essentially become, well, Bane. And that brings the whole League of Shadows back into the mix.

This is basically what I have read too. Also, people who haven't read the comic books don't know that Catwoman is not really a villian. At least not like Joker or Bane, she toes the line between right and wrong. Now, I would say she is more a dark vigilant like Batman.

I'll believe the possibility of a Bane/Al Ghul relationship, and maybe part of Bane's motivation is avenging his mentor or whatever, but I am extremely skeptical about the Lazarus Pits. That would be entirely inconsistent with everything Nolan has tried to do in the first two movies. A fountain of youth/immortality bath? I don't think so. Way too fantastical.

In the comic books, Bane is the dude that broke Batman's back. He snapped him like a twig.

Very true, but I don't see Nolan heading that direction in this movie. I do believe this will be Nolan and Bale's last Batman movie. I have also read that for the JLA movie, the studio was to take Batman in a different direction then Nolan has. I am assume less dark more good guy along side Superman.

According to a few sites, the "crowd" is chanting "The fire rises", which leads to a Twitter account of the same name (TheFireRises), which in turn was used to uncover the now revealed photo of Bane; Batman's foe in the new film.

"The fire rises" is apparently also a reference to the Lazarus Pit; a chemical rejuvenation pool used to restore the dying used by Ras al Ghul.

Of course, this in turn brings us back to Batman Begins. Which a few have speculated on here and I think is the perfect direction for Nolan to head.

Tom Hardy was freaking awesome in Inception. He's perfect for Nolan movies. Not many actors could pull Bane off well because you need the right mix of brutishness and intellectualism/sophistication. Hardy will nail it and his refined British accent should help.

Bane_Tom_Hardy.jpg

Hathaway is an interesting choice. She has a sweet look and demeanor, I'm wondering how she's going to get around that. She can be sexy without being cartoonish and cheesy. Catwoman rivals the Penguin as the dumbest and corniest Batman character to portray. Go back and watch Michelle Pfeiffer and she's comically bad and the women from Adam West's show weren't much better. Let's not even get in to Halle Berry's movie. Suffice to say, the bar has been set pretty low for Hathaway.

I'll believe the possibility of a Bane/Al Ghul relationship, and maybe part of Bane's motivation is avenging his mentor or whatever, but I am extremely skeptical about the Lazarus Pits. That would be entirely inconsistent with everything Nolan has tried to do in the first two movies. A fountain of youth/immortality bath? I don't think so. Way too fantastical.

This is what's been seen being filmed in India:

darkknightrisesindiaset.jpg

Some sort of pit in the ground, with a green screen covering over it for the SFX to be added in later. A Lazarus Pit? Not necessarily. But given the heavily rumored storyline of the movie, and the look of the thing, it's a fairly safe guess.

---------- Post added May-23rd-2011 at 02:13 PM ----------

All I got was chanting... no pics or video. Is that right?

Yeah, right now it's just a blank page, and when you click on it, it loads the chanting.

---------- Post added May-23rd-2011 at 02:18 PM ----------

How many more damn Batman movies are they going to do. Isn't there like 7 or 8 already? Geez, give it a rest and move to another superhero.

Why?

It's a character that's been around for 70 years, in a ton of different formats, that a lot of people care about and follow. So after this film, there will probably be more Batman to come in the future (I just hope it's not with Nolan, Bale, and company, and they give the series a rest for a little while...though I doubt that happens).

Plus movies like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were steaming garbage (I'd also argue strongly against Batman Returns). But Batman Begins and particularly The Dark Knight were both massive box office and critical successes. As long as they're turning out to be excellent movies, who cares? It's only a problem once the quality of the films goes downhill.

How many more damn Batman movies are they going to do. Isn't there like 7 or 8 already? Geez, give it a rest and move to another superhero.

Seriously. Superman, Spiderman, Wovlerine, The X-Men, Daredevil, The Avengers, The Punisher, Iron Man, The Hullk, The Fantastic Four, Captain America, Ghost Rider, Thor, Hellboy, The Green Lantern ... with all these other choices why won't they make any movies about them?

:D

Spart that pic is a great find, that could definitely point to some sort of a Lazarus Pit device. As fantastical as Nolan's movies have been, they still have a very reality based (albiet somewhat extreme) formula. Anything that happens in those movies can happen in real life, as extreme as the Joker or Batman's antics can be. I don't think they'll bring any supernatural or abnormal notions into the mix, it's all been chemical so far.

Some good discussions going on in this thread. If you guys haven't seen Bronson yet, I really really suggest you watch it. I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread but that makes me super confident in Tom Hardy as Bane.

Here is a great read on all things known about the new Batman movie so far:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1145692p1.html

Great write up... covered everything so far.

I would also love the movie to end to mirror Batman Begins, with Batman and Gordon talking on a rooftop beside the newly installed bat signal. And while they're chatting away, Gordon receives a distress call that the Joker has escaped from Arkham... and Batman swoops away into the night. That'd be my perfect ending.

Seriously. Superman, Spiderman, Wovlerine, The X-Men, Daredevil, The Avengers, The Punisher, Iron Man, The Hullk, The Fantastic Four, Captain America, Ghost Rider, Thor, Hellboy, The Green Lantern ... with all these other choices why won't they make any movies about them?

:D

So what you're telling me is.... they've run out of superheroes? What about Wonder Woman, Aquaman and most of the Superfriends? Oh, and they've done too many Hulk versions also.

Archived