Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's wild.  I don't know if he's been in Toronto too long or what, but he's got a history of some trashy behavior.

Wonderful... He'll fit well here in DC.

Let's fast forward to 2021 real quick...

Beal, Wall, Brown, and the 9th Pick... This is most likely the core four we'll have.

So my question is, what player in this year's draft would work best with these three players?

20 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Exactly why I'm not sold on him.  

Makes me question his leadership.  He's arguably the best at picking players in the business though.  He did a masterful job in Toronto.

But if I have questions about a guy's leadership, and I'm going to have to pay him a fortune and make him a minority owner of the team plus give up draft picks to get him... that gives me pause.

It feels like there has to be a better way than selling the farm to get a capable GM.  Giving up picks and  ownership stake and a massive salary to get Ujiri--assuming he'd even take the job--feels like the textbook case of buying high on someone.

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

If the Masai story wasn't already complicated enough... I just saw that he slapped a Sherrif's deputy last night. lol

Bring him to DC because his work speaks for itself!  He got some damn fight in him and that's what this woebegone franchise needs!

Hail Em Up!

Edited by arftech

47 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

did they already get told to **** off in private?

Of course that's what happened.  Ted has nobody to blame but himself, over a year difference in the contract with Tim.  Our dysfunction is on full display for everyone to see, we might as well be radioactive.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hold up... Why didn't they offer Tim Connelly 10 Million a year? Wasn't he only looking for 5 Million?

Edit:

Connelly, 41, remains under contract with the Nuggets, who were eliminated in the Western Conference semifinals by the Portland Trail Blazers. Although Washington’s is the only job that would tempt him to leave Denver — a fact known by Nuggets President Josh Kroenke — an ally of Connelly’s speculated he would not leave for a deal lower than $4 million annually for five years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/17/nuggets-tim-connelly-will-meet-with-wizards-ending-weeks-speculation/?utm_term=.3ab430b36467

Man... If this is true, I'm pissed all over again. If they lowballed Connelly just to offer another candidate 10 million a year, that's a really epic fail. Could have saved some money and had a potentially better GM imo.

Edited by CrypticVillain
Because the Wizards are dumb...

Tommy Shepherd will be named GM. This is a team with poor cap space and no clear path to success through draft picks. 

Good enough to finish in the 5-10 lottery space and not bad enough to finish at the absolute bottom. They are more likely to be in the 10-14 range than 1-4. 

Not a very exciting team to take over.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Supposedly the credential was a gold armband.  That's what Stephen A said today.  I can't tell if he Ujiri is wearing one in that photo or not, but if it was an armband, Ujiri wouldn't be holding the credential in his hand.

The truth is going to come out about this.  There are a lot of witnesses and I'd be surprised if they don't find video of the incident.

57 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Tommy Shepherd will be named GM. This is a team with poor cap space and no clear path to success through draft picks. 

Good enough to finish in the 5-10 lottery space and not bad enough to finish at the absolute bottom. They are more likely to be in the 10-14 range than 1-4. 

Not a very exciting team to take over.

We'll be alright if we draft well.  That's the key to everything.  When you look at the way Milwaukee was built, their only top five pick of their rebuild was a huge bust--our very own Jabari "We Don't Get Paid To Play Defense" Parker.  The rest of that fantastic team was built with great drafting.  Same with Toronto.  Valanciunas was their highest draft pick at 5th overall in 2011, one spot before we took Vesely.  Their other lottery picks were Terrence Ross at 8th and DeRozan at 9th overall.  They used these guys in trades to bring in Leonard, Gasol, and Ibaka.  The rest of the roster was built through modest free agent signings and smart draft picks.  And Indy is another example--Foundation pieces of George and Turner picked in the late lottery, with George bringing in Sabonis and Oladipo in trade.

I'm not sure picking in the mid to late lottery is actually a huge disadvantage in the NBA.  Most drafts have at most one or two can't miss guys and then it's a whole bunch of question marks to the point where picks number three and four are often no better than the guys picked eight and ninth.  In fact, sometimes I think there is a lot of pressure at those earlier slots to take bad risks because you just don't want to be the one who ****s it up and so you get crazy stuff like Dion Waiters going 4th and Andre Drummond going 9th.  Or the reverse--Dragan Bender going 4th and Jamal Murray going 7th.

And the bad teams that draft a lot of high upside guys early on and don't develop them properly and give up on them too fast.  That makes young blue chip talent a lot more available than you'd expect.  That's what happened with Victor Oladipo.  Where the good personnel FOs make their bones is in being able to accurately project growth out of these kids.  It's almost impossibly difficult to do, but the best personnel guys are really good at doing it.  That's how Indy knew to trade for Oladipo, and how they were able to hit mid to late lottery home runs with Paul George and Myles Turner.

THAT's what we need to get in our next GM.  I get why we were interested in Masai Ujiri and Tim Connelly, but I don't understand why we haven't also been looking at anyone from the Milwaukee and Indy organizations.  Clearly they've got some good people working in those front offices.

We're not as far away from being competitive as everyone thinks.  We've got an All Star guard already in the building.  Wall's a wild card too.  We've got this 9th overall pick and we can get another solid lottery pick next year.  If we spend them well and get our foundation for defense, then we can make quick strides by filling out the rest of the roster with quality role players who can shoot and defend.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

Have you guys seen this website before?  http://www.tankathon.com/big_board

It looks pretty good.  They've got nice prospect profiles where they show the deviations on a range of measurables.  And I like how they put box score stats on their big board with an option to sort between advanced numbers, per game numbers, and per 36.

Look at how high they've got Brandon Clarke ranked.  He's basically above average at every stat they look at except for prospect age and wingspan.  Those are pretty big negatives though.  He's going to be 23 early in his rookie season, and he's only got a 6'8 wingspan.  That's shorter than John Wall's, and he's supposed to play PF in the NBA.

Still, are we missing the obvious with Brandon Clarke because of him being so old and lacking in length?  His stats from last season are absolutely insane.  And I was blown away by his play in the tourney.  He is a phenomenal defensive player.  Is this a situation where we need to set conventional wisdom aside and trust that his game will translate to the NBA?

Look how good his highlight videos on this page are 😮: http://www.tankathon.com/players/brandon-clarke

- He's got a very good first step.

- His second stride is excellent.

- Back to basket game looks promising.

- Body control is fantastic and the spin move is a real post tool.

- Incredibly explosive off two feet.

- Elite second bounce.

- Below the rim touch and creativity.

- Strength to finish through contact.

- True hard-nosed defender.

- Weakside help is strong.

- Post man defense is spectacular.

- Very dangerous pick and roll finisher.

I know he's a lot older than the others, but I like what I see in his videos waaaaay more than what I saw in Doumbouya's and Bol's.

This is my other draft mancrush: http://www.tankathon.com/players/matisse-thybulle

6'5 with a 7' wingspan.  Insane.  And look at those steal and block per game numbers.  Look at the way he baits players in the passing lanes.  Very instinctive defensive player who makes a real impact on that end.

I'm leaning towards my favorite scenario being either a trade down or trying to get back into the late first round to go with a draft of Clarke + Thybulle.

Candace doing nothing but putting out a fire.  I 100000% believe the Woj report from last night.  Once the championship dust settles, the Wizards will go forward with their offer to Masai.  The key is the potential ownership stake in Monumental.  As other people have noted, if that's indeed on the table, you're talking generational wealth that goes beyond the reported 6/60 that's on the table for him as a GM/pres. 

The 6/60 + ownership stake in monumental is the greatest offer in the history of sports. If the man doesn’t take that offer, he’s a damn fool. You could literally come here, half ass your job without a single complaint from any management or local PR and luck in to a better overall record than the past 20 years, while making an obscene amount of money and influence. 

For 6/60, I’d prob still say no to DC. But this is a deal that will likely never be replicated. I can’t fathom someone walking from that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Candace doing nothing but putting out a fire.  I 100000% believe the Woj report from last night.  Once the championship dust settles, the Wizards will go forward with their offer to Masai.  The key is the potential ownership stake in Monumental.  As other people have noted, if that's indeed on the table, you're talking generational wealth that goes beyond the reported 6/60 that's on the table for him as a GM/pres. 

she put out almost the same report when it looked like Connelly was going to be the guy. Its not just Woj, Ben Standig and Fred Katz had been making insinuations that Masai was a longshot but they were going to offer after they missed out on Connelly

pretty clear Candace is who ownership goes to when they want something spun their way

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The 6/60 + ownership stake in monumental is the greatest offer in the history of sports. If the man doesn’t take that offer, he’s a damn fool. You could literally come here, half ass your job without a single complaint from any management or local PR and luck in to a better overall record than the past 20 years, while making an obscene amount of money and influence. 

For 6/60, I’d prob still say no to DC. But this is a deal that will likely never be replicated. I can’t fathom someone walking from that. 

there is nothing left to be done in Toronto, its all downhill for him if he stays

thats the only thing i can really motivating a move. Toronto can match any dollar amount and probably any other perk.

Edited by StillUnknown

58 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

she put out almost the same report when it looked like Connelly was going to be the guy. Its not just Woj, Ben Standig and Fred Katz had been making insinuations that Masai was a longshot but they were going to offer after they missed out on Connelly

pretty clear Candace is who ownership goes to when they want something spun their way

there is nothing left to be done in Toronto, its all downhill for him if he stays

thats the only thing i can really motivating a move. Toronto can match any dollar amount and probably any other perk.

Maybe, but you don’t leave for a ****ty organization like the Wizards. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

You may be right, but I think the Wizards are trying to tread carefully here out of respect to the Raptors/Ujiri.  EVERYONE in the world knows we're desperate, but we don't want to come off looking like homie from Swingers who called his ex about a million times hoping to talk.  Gotta play it cool to an extent, then once (hopefully) Ujiri decides to meet w/ Ted, then u hit him up w/ the offer he can't refuse.  IF Ted lands that face-to-face, he can't let him leave that room w/o agreeing to a contract.  It's a good time to Masai Ujiri. 

• Like 3