Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This franchise hasn't done enough of a house cleaning for me to really believe that they aren't just giving people fancy titles without real, meaningful changes. It's like a restaurant that slaps a new coat of paint and changes the name without firing the kitchen staff that sucked.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sashi “the process” Brown.

He might be there jus to propose ideas we then do the opposite of.  

"I got an idea, let's draft seven SFs and see which one sticks!"

"You're right, we absolutely should not do that."

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

To be fair, aren't a bunch of the young talented players on the Browns there because of him? 

Rebuttal, how many of those WRs he drafted in the same year are still there?  Their two starters weren't drafted by them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Rebuttal, how many of those WRs he drafted in the same year are still there?  Their two starters weren't drafted by them.

True, I pay zero attention to the Browns so I wasn't sure what to give him credit for if anything at all :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Sashi Brown was the executive director of the Browns and oversaw them going 1–31 (.031) (including a winless 0–16 season in 2017), the worst two-year stretch in NFL history.

Brown deserves half the credit for where the Browns are now.  They used him as a fall guy, but he's the one who executed the organization's plan and filled the cupboard for John Dorsey.  Ray Farmer left him a mess and he did a lot to get their ducks in a row.

He's slick and impressive and he has ivy league and money-ball polish.  I would guess that his hiring is less about managing player personnel than it is about growing the franchises and brands of the Wizards, GoGo, and Mystics.

Knowing a fair amount of detail about the Browns' front office under Jimmy Haslam due to Seth Wickersham's expose, I think this is going to be a much better job for Sashi Brown than his old one.  Cleveland was a bad fit, to say the least.  But a super smart young black executive with some DC history is a really good fit for this league and this city.

A lot of people with titles and claims of "bottom-up" changes when this sounds like a middle-out thing. The top didn't change and neither did the bottom really.

I guess we'll see. 

They can't market their way out of this fan apathy. Ticket sales will be low next season. Viewers on TV will be low next season. Even if they do everything 100% right... short of some insane winning record and competing against good opponents, this can't be hurried.

Transparency, Honesty, and a legit real plan need to be seen for folks to not roll their eyes.

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

They can't market their way out of this fan apathy. Ticket sales will be low next season. Viewers on TV will be low next season. Even if they do everything 100% right... short of some insane winning record and competing against good opponents, this can't be hurried.

They've already been terrible.  Hence all of the changes and the attempt to redefine  pro basketball in the city as an interconnected, multilevel sport.  Attendance could improve if they actually strengthen the brand of DC basketball.  Viewership will improve when they start streaming their broadcasts to in market fans at a reasonable price.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They've already been terrible.  Hence all of the changes and the attempt to redefine  pro basketball in the city as an interconnected, multilevel sport.  Attendance could improve if they actually strengthen the brand of DC basketball.  Viewership will improve when they start streaming their broadcasts to in market fans at a reasonable price.

Yeah, maybe in 2020-2021 and beyond. 

Streaming for a reasonable price? They haven't figured that out with their Arena Team(s). Should be giving that **** away online. 

This team has been run, for a long time, almost as if it’s apologizing for existing.  No one knows what radio station is broadcasting the games year to year.  Sometimes games aren’t broadcast on local cable networks.  The team never behaves as if any free agents would want to come here.  Over paying for any player that considers signing here.  Letting players get away with anything just to keep them happy.  Until recently they didn’t even have a decent practice facility or D-League team.  

Every aspect of this team has been screaming “we’re a bad organization and we know it”.   I never felt that Earnie ever believed anyone would want to play here.  This is one of the things Ted needs to turn around.  I’m not surprised to see him reorganizing things and hiring some recognizable names.  The wizards need to be run a hell of a lot better, and I don’t mean simply picking the right players.  They need to project an attitude that signals to people that they are worth taking an interest in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

it will forever be funny that this team worked so hard to make KD2DC a thing, and he didn't even give them an interview. Like how was that not a sign to Ted that something is very wrong.

Instead of doing some badly needed introspection, he took petty shots at KD. Kinda tells you all you need to know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On the Browns' hiring, part of me wants to hope that the guy is good and his second chance will pay off handsomely, but the fact that he's jumping sports might suggest that no one in football trusts him. Worse, I remember when we hired Joe Barry and the entire Redskins' fan base said, "Really? the guy who twice led the worst defense in the league? How can this be a good hire?"

So, we can have hope, but the question remains does Shep or Leonsis know something everyone else in sports doesn't?

• Like 1