Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Rui clearly the most talented guy on the floor.  He can do so much. 

I'll tell u what...Isaac Bonga is REALLY intriguing.  He's only 19 and listed at 6'8".  Wouldn't be surprised if he grew another inch or two.  Unreal size for a PG. 

thats pretty much all I want from Rui in the summer league, just don't be overmatched and overwhelmed. Not saying he needs to light it up every game, but at least look like he belongs, and he did that.

Bonga's should get plenty of time to develop with the Go-Go. Clearly not NBA ready, but he doesn't have to be at the moment, he has some traits that make him intriguing. If we're serious about developing players, he could be a good barometer of our coaches abilities to do so

9 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I'll tell u what...Isaac Bonga is REALLY intriguing.  He's only 19 and listed at 6'8".  Wouldn't be surprised if he grew another inch or two.  Unreal size for a PG. 

He's one of those positionless dribble-pass-shoot guys who can switch onto different types of opponents.  Of the three guys we got from the Lakers, he's the one with the best tools and most upside IMO.

Jones looked really rough.  He is a mess with the ball in his hands and he can't really hold a defender out on the perimeter when he's off the ball.  It's a shame because he's a talented defensive player and freakishly good rebounder for his position.  But he's going to have trouble making an NBA roster unless he gets some shooting range.

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

thats pretty much all I want from Rui in the summer league, just don't be overmatched and overwhelmed. Not saying he needs to light it up every game, but at least look like he belongs, and he did that.

Bonga's should get plenty of time to develop with the Go-Go. Clearly not NBA ready, but he doesn't have to be at the moment, he has some traits that make him intriguing. If we're serious about developing players, he could be a good barometer of our coaches abilities to do so

Yup...go-go is his calling for now.  Watch him be the key player (in due time) from the trade w/ the Lakers. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's one of those positionless dribble-pass-shoot guys who can switch onto different types of opponents.  Of the three guys we got from the Lakers, he's the one with the best tools and most upside IMO.

Jones looked really rough.  He is a mess with the ball in his hands and he can't really hold a defender out on the perimeter when he's off the ball.  It's a shame because he's a talented defensive player and freakishly good rebounder for his position.  But he's going to have trouble making an NBA roster unless he gets some shooting range.

I'm pulling for Jones.  Undersized but a dog on the boards and on defense.  With the team rebuilding, they need to find a way to fit him in as the 14th or 15th guy on the bench.  I'm just going off of what Lou Will said, but it was encouraging to hear one of the best 6th men in NBA history talking him up a bit on Gil's podcast .

Schofield likes to post up around 12 feet from the rim near the left block, but every time it's a quick turn to the baseline and fadeaway.  Most of the guys he's posting are much weaker than him.  I would like to see him be much more aggressive and physical with these opportunities.

Rui seems be smart about how to attack his opponent off a face up. he analyzes the situation quickly then is decisive about the moves he makes. the next phase down the line will be developing some ability to pass in that sequence, but he has a good starting point.

one thing that slightly concerns me is that he hasn't looked as athletic as I thought he might be. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

one thing that slightly concerns me is that he hasn't looked as athletic as I thought he might be. 

He doesn't look super explosive but he is a pretty good leaper with good length.  He's made some nice blocks and finishes as a result.  Looks like he does his work off of strength and skill for the most part.  His left hand finishes are really good.  He's got natural touch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Also, for someone whose defense was noted as a weakness at Gonzaga, he's looked completely aware and competent out there for the Wizards during SL. 

And athletic.  But I think part of that is because of how simple Simmer League offense is.  Few set play designs.  Mostly basic pick and roll and drive and kick action.  And the refs also call the games pretty loose so you can get away with fouling more.  Still it's certainly not a bad thing that he's played well on defense.  I thought Robinson has looked pretty good on defense too.  So has Wagner, which surprised me.  He looks like a solid pick and roll and team defender.

The major concern has been rebounding.  Wagner looks soft on the glass.  Hachimura isn't a dominant rebounder or anything, and still sometimes it's looked like he's the only guy out there capable of pulling the rebound down.

One step at a time.  Fixing our ability to match up and stop the ball on the perimeter and protect the rim is the first step.

• Like 1

Wiz failures

This is all really simple.

• Carsen Edwards has agreed to a 4-year, $4.5M deal with the Boston Celtics.

If you saw the 33rd pick in Vegas, you knew that this was inevitable. In just 22.9 minutes per game, Edwards has put up 18.0 points on 52.1% from the field with 1.5 dimes and 3.8 triples. He's quickly becoming the favorite to win the backup PG role behind Kemba Walker.

Jul 12, 2019, 10:32 PM ET

Edwards was drafted before Schofield, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here as far as this being one of the Wizards' failures.  Also, there are 28 other teams that passed on Lecque, so let's see how this actually plays out before condemning. 

Anyways....Issuf Sanon will probably never crack a NBA roster.  Such a waste of a pick. 

Isaac Bonga has some real potential.  Talked about it a page or so back, but he's a guy to keep an eye on. 

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Miami Heat supposedly willing to take Wall in order to get Beal.

Heat fans are acting as if its a foregone conclusion this will happen lol.

There is zero practical incentive to use Beal as a mechanism for dumping Wall. It accomplishes absolutely nothing. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

There is zero practical incentive to use Beal as a mechanism for dumping Wall. It accomplishes absolutely nothing. 

Agreed....but the Heat fanbase (and others) seem to think we're desperate to trade Wall.

I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that.

Heat fans act as if they'd be doing us a favor by taking Wall.

Please....lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Miami Heat supposedly willing to take Wall in order to get Beal.

Heat fans are acting as if its a foregone conclusion this will happen lol.

It would take a historically stupid front office to use a young star as a trade incentive to move a bad contract.  The Wizards are fine where they are, in terms of rebuilding.  They are likely to pick in the lottery again and the new lottery means they don't have to be the worst team in the league to have a decent shot at a great pick.  There is no real incentive to be the literal worst team in the league now.  

Amassing late first round picks does nothing to improve their future either.  The only Beal trades that should be considered are for young star prospects or unprotected picks likely to be in the lottery.  Anything less than that only makes the wizards worse in both the short and long term.   

29 minutes ago, Destino said:

It would take a historically stupid front office to use a young star as a trade incentive to move a bad contract.  The Wizards are fine where they are, in terms of rebuilding.  They are likely to pick in the lottery again and the new lottery means they don't have to be the worst team in the league to have a decent shot at a great pick.  There is no real incentive to be the literal worst team in the league now.  

Amassing late first round picks does nothing to improve their future either.  The only Beal trades that should be considered are for young star prospects or unprotected picks likely to be in the lottery.  Anything less than that only makes the wizards worse in both the short and long term.   

Not totally the point. I agree that draft picks in the NBA are about as unsure as any league. But this isn't separate from their cap situation. If you give Beal that 3 year extension or something more. You won't be able to afford to do much else either. 

It's a ****ty situation whichever way you slice it. I'd want a mix of guys on their rookie deals and future first rounders. That's more than fair for the value Beal adds to a team who things they are contenders. 

Now, the stuff about taking on Wall also. I don't know. That basically gives you all the cap room in a year. Not that this is an attractive destination for FAs. I wouldn't give max deals just to do it. Especially with a likely coaching change in a year. I guess spend to the cap floor and wait until the right player comes along if ever. Sorry Players Union. If you are willing to get cute and make super teams, that's collusion. Getting pissed at teams who don't max out the cap is a response to your moves. Not maxing out for 6th seed and no shot. 

7 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Not totally the point. I agree that draft picks in the NBA are about as unsure as any league. But this isn't separate from their cap situation. If you give Beal that 3 year extension or something more. You won't be able to afford to do much else either. 

It's a ****ty situation whichever way you slice it. I'd want a mix of guys on their rookie deals and future first rounders. That's more than fair for the value Beal adds to a team who things they are contenders. 

Unless any of those guys or picks turns turns out to be star, that trade is a loser.  Cap space doesn’t mean anything either if you can’t sign a star.  Getting a bunch of good role players is the worst case scenario for trading Beal.  

This team needs to move Walls contract, not Beals.  Beal is the team’s best player.  Wall is the team’s worst contract.  Getting rid of our best player, while keeping our worst contract, makes the wizards immediately worse but still stuck in cap hell for four years.  

Best to sit and wait.  Let Mahinmi’s contract go away, make another lottery pick, and get Wall back on the court.  Then reassess.  

7 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Now, the stuff about taking on Wall also. I don't know. That basically gives you all the cap room in a year. Not that this is an attractive destination for FAs. I wouldn't give max deals just to do it. Especially with a likely coaching change in a year. I guess spend to the cap floor and wait until the right player comes along if ever. Sorry Players Union. If you are willing to get cute and make super teams, that's collusion. Getting pissed at teams who don't max out the cap is a response to your moves. Not maxing out for 6th seed and no shot. 

Getting rid of Wall and Beal just for cap space, makes us the Knicks.  All the cap space, and nothing to show for it.  Cap space doesn’t matter if you’ve got nothing to build around.

• Like 3

Beal - TON of value...he's going to net the biggest return in the league (as of now,) so why package him with Wall?  Wizards aren't THAT desperate. 

Wall - He'll have value on the trade market once he returns.  No contract in the league is unmovable if you can prove that you can contribute.  I have ZERO doubt that Wall will be better than 15/8 when he comes back.  If he's back by the all-star game, keep an eye on the Wizards trying to move him this summer. 

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Beal - TON of value...he's going to net the biggest return in the league (as of now,) so why package him with Wall?  Wizards aren't THAT desperate. 

Wall - He'll have value on the trade market once he returns.  No contract in the league is unmovable if you can prove that you can contribute.  I have ZERO doubt that Wall will be better than 15/8 when he comes back.  If he's back by the all-star game, keep an eye on the Wizards trying to move him this summer. 

I don't think there's a chance he's back by all-star break. I'd be somewhat shocked if he plays at all this year

I’m sorry, but this is a terrible situation. Beal should not be this involved. That’s the sign of a weak ass front office and owner. Oh, if the front office doesn’t consider every single scenario and opportunity, they are worthless 

“Not at all," Sheppard told The Athletic in regard to trading Beal. "It's never crossed our mind. Bradley is somebody we're building around. He's been involved with everything we're doing in the draft, free agency. We need his opinion. We want this team to be a reflection of what he is all about."

Per the talk of the Heat taking on Wall if they get Beal, what do they even have to offer? 

I’m not totally dismissive of the idea but they’d have to put together a package near what the Wiz could get just trading Beal alone.