Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Certain types of players do well in Summer League.  JaVale type centers are one.  Mo Wagner type centers are not.  The play is loosely structured and raw athleticism is a massive advantage.  A player like that #15 from the Nets can take over a Summer League game by jumping all over everyone and fouling like crazy, but he'll struggle to make the end of an NBA bench because he doesn't have the skill to take over the paint against real NBA competition.

But one of the things this SL run has thus far revealed is how unathletic our 7 footers behind Bryant are.  They are finesse players.  We still do not have an athletic rim protector, and defensive rebounding is probably going to be a problem for us.

I've heard mixed. Czabe has some Ian somebody on talking about all the trades and he was hardcore into the Wizards shouldn't move Beal.

Watching Jaxson Hayes yam it with the ferocity of malebolgia last night upsets me. We have nothing that resembles such a talent, nor does it seem its a thing we are searching for, even though this kind of player is exactly the type of 5 man we need with John.

10 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Heck, I would take prime Seraphin over Bryant because he had an unstoppable hook, and played angry ( even if he had no ability to stretch the floor).

Bryant is already a vastly better player than Seraphin ever was.  You're talking about the difference between someone who has top notch offensive efficiency versus someone with a career ORtg of 96.  Seraphin was also slow and short for a center, and couldn't really guard anyone because he couldn't cover pick and rolls or switch and traditional bigs could just shoot over him.

Clearly Bol has issues, or he wouldn't have fallen like he did.  Banking on him to be our center of the future isn't realistic.  Fernando is a JAG.  Bryant will do for now at center until someone better comes along.

Lecque is going to be nice & so is Edwards. Another guy I loved in a past round 2 was Hartenstein, he’s going to be a nice player. Without Ernies dreadful moves we should have left the last 3 drafts with:

2017: Giles & Hartenstein

2018: Porter Jr & Mitchell Robinson

2019: Bol Bol, Edwards, & Lecque

Hooch has looked decent for us, the youngster plays hard. Steve’s boy Clarke has looked pretty special from what I’ve seen so far.

That kid from Florida State lit our asses up.  Here are the cut ups from last night:

Concerned about the lack of physicality.  Our guys looked real soft in comparison to the opponent, and that's the second game in a row that's happened.  And I don't think this issue is confined to the SL roster.  It looks systemic.  We're going to have trouble protecting the paint.  We're going to have trouble rebounding.  We're going to have trouble getting over screens.  We're going to have trouble stopping perimeter drives.  And we're going to have trouble winning position and stoning post ups.  So yeah, we're basically going to be terrible at every aspect of defense.

Offensively, we're going to be pretty reliant on mid range and three point shooting.  But we do have like four guys who can get all of the way to the rim for next season.

Guys like Schofield, Caupain, Wagner, and Matthews are clearly very skilled, but there is a speed and physicality gap between them and others.

I think there might be something there with Bonga.  He looked solid in limited action.

I'm disappointed in Schofield's lack of physicality.  He's a soft finesse shooter when he's built like a linebacker.  He should be a bully on offense, but that doesn't seem to be his style.  The bigs aren't good and most of the guards are undersized.  We're thin and underwhelming at these spots, behind Beal.  We've made a very unfortunate downgrade from Sato to Ish Smith/IT/Justin Robinson group of tiny, offensive-minded back up point guards.  And even if IT rejuvenates his career here and plays really well, it's not a long term answer because he'd just price himself out of an extension with us.

I like our long term outlook at forward, but we really need to find a strong-bodied 6-10 to 6-11 bulldog glass cleaner who can knock down open shots off the catch and finish his looks around the basket.  We're going to have a high lottery pick this year, getting a Wendell Carter type center would be the ideal way to use it.

• Like 1

Sanon doesn't seem to do a lot in the half court on offense, but man is he tenacious an on ball defender.  His full court press is fun to watch.

Very good interview from Tommy.  Enjoyed listening to him talk about the new players and was reassured by him saying that they understand their focus has to be on improving the defense

Just now, Mooka said:

Crazy he's 19 and we drafted him last year. 

He was basically still a kid.  He doesn't turn 20 until October so he is a late bloomer with a late birthday.  He's not going to be ready to come over for a while, but he's going to be fun to watch when he gets here.

Bonga has good defensive tools too.  He's a spidery wing.